The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kallisto
As long as they are playing in Spain or in a top club and reaping victories by victories, it is always between those two. And after winning the champions league and being the top scorer in this competition, Ronaldo wins it. The World Cup does not matter, see 2014...

It will matter this year. Ronaldo didn’t appear in the Semis and final so whilst he’s probably in the lead (whether that’s deserved is another story) what happens at the World Cup will have a huge impact.
Original post by TheLittlestElf
It will matter this year. Ronaldo didn’t appear in the Semis and final so whilst he’s probably in the lead (whether that’s deserved is another story) what happens at the World Cup will have a huge impact.

Whatever. Anyway the awarding of the worldbest player is very subjective in my view. By looking at the winners, also the ones before Ronaldo and Messi, it is so clear that almost players on midfield or striker positions get the price (known exception by myself: Cannavaro in 2006). So players who are the center of the public by their assists and goals they made in a great number in a season. But what about players who have to prevent goals as defender or goalkeeper (yeah, I know that goalkeepers have their own category)? players who are doing the 'dirty job', but are awesome in this what they do? or in an other word: worldclass?

Are football players comparable by positions anyway? don't think so! would it not be fairer to award the best players for each position every year? an awarding for goalkeepers already exists, so why not for defenders, midfielders and stikers too? apart from the fact that it is not so clear how much the world cup really matters. Messi won in 2010, although Argentina was so bad at the world cup tournament, Ronaldo won in 2014 although Portugal was a disappointment in Brazil. But 2006, it looks really like that it mattered...

that is why I have the impression that Ballon d'or is an arbitrary awarding.
Reply 22
Salah did the square root of nothing this world cup. Ronaldo has 4 world cup goals, he actually delivered despite getting knocked out, Messi also did the square root of nothing.

Honestly there is only one winner. You gonna get a guy who led his team to get beat in another final, a guy who got knocked out by Roma or a guy who got 3CLs in a row.

Will put my bet on Ronaldo now. Easy money to be won.
Messi got a couple of assists yesterday, scored one of the best goals in the competition and generally played OK. Created quite a lot overall.
It'll still be Ronaldo, even more after this world cup than it was before.

If not him, it'll have to be someone from the World Cup winning team. But, a player who can take a good amount of credit for getting his side to win it.

For eg. If Belgium win it, there's no individual performer who's been better than his teammates to have a chance whereas if England win, Harry Kane would have a good shout if he scores 7-8 of all England's goals.

So no one from teams like Uruguay, Brazil, Belgium, Spain will win it since each player on those teams is as important as the next. Though, Griezmann has a chance if France win, he also won the Europa League but his performances are being matched by Mbappe.

If Croatia wins then Modric has a good chance, winning the champions league, always being called the best midfielders in the past 3-4 seasons, as well picking up 3/3 motm for Croatia too I think.
Reply 25
If France won the world cup would say that a lot of performances are equal there and Europa league<CL and wouldn't be factored in.

No way would France have beaten Argentina had Kante not shut down Messi for pretty much the entire game e.g. Pogba also had a key part to play as well.

Griezmann's only chance to get above Messi+Ronaldo is to get like 20 goals between August and November, while Mbappe due to his role in the PSG team simply isn't going to get those numbers yet.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Messi got a couple of assists yesterday, scored one of the best goals in the competition and generally played OK. Created quite a lot overall.

In terms of stats yeah it's not as bad as it seems but in terms of overall performance it wasn't particularly good. It smelt of Rooney 2014 personally. Depending so much and trying to fit one player in the team it made the performance awful.

Still not anywhere near as good as getting a hattrick vs Spain.
(edited 5 years ago)
If Ronaldo gets this ballon d'or, does he become the GOAT?
Original post by Hazard28
If Ronaldo gets this ballon d'or, does he become the GOAT?

No.
ronaldo or salah
No.

How come? There needs to be some objective way of determining the GOAT, and looking at who has been the best player of the year more times than anyone else is a pretty good way, no?
How come? There needs to be some objective way of determining the GOAT, and looking at who has been the best player of the year more times than anyone else is a pretty good way, no?

The Ballon d'Or isn't objective though.

Goals, assists or strike rate would be but even then there are things to consider.
The Ballon d'Or isn't objective though.

Goals, assists or strike rate would be but even then there are things to consider.

I suppose not but what else can we go on? Unless we did a poll voted by everyone in the world it's otherwise impossible.

I think it's hard to look past Ronaldo once he edges Messi in Ballon D'ors and with his international record.
I suppose not but what else can we go on? Unless we did a poll voted by everyone in the world it's otherwise impossible.

I think it's hard to look past Ronaldo once he edges Messi in Ballon D'ors and with his international record.

It's still debatable at 6-5 but I see Ronaldo winning another 2 or 3 ballon dors at the rate he's going whereas with Messi, I think it's all downhill from here..Yeah he'll still be up there in the top 5 players in the world but not what he used to be. In the end I think it'll either be 6-5 and neither of them ever win it again or it'll be 8-5 in the end to Ronaldo which will leave no debate
Reply 33
C. Ronaldo

It depends what you base your judgement on.

I cant be bothered to point out where i disagree with Ballon d'Or arguments and the like but what i will say is that Messi 09-13 was at a level nobody else has ever reached and that is why I say Messi is the greatest ever.
Reply 35
I would also say that is synonymous with barca being so good at that time.

Now Madrid are the best team of all time and Portugal won the euros people have defected to Ronaldo.

Its almost like teams make individuals better
Reply 36
Also almost like xavis departure/decline has directly led to Barcelona and the Spain team going down a level.

But yeah Messi Messi Messi.

Alonso Modric and casemiro probably the main reason Ronaldo has all of those Baldon dors, and those Sergio ramos headers
I agree Messi and Ronaldo are both crap.
Reply 38
I agree Messi and Ronaldo are both crap.

I'm not slighting them. Just looking at thingswith perspective.

Same way I expected France to dispatch Argentina with ease the way they did it. If xavi iniesta and busquets hold the ball and are finding you all the time in good positions you will be more likely to score.
Spain have been knocked out.All the underdog teams are doing bits in this world cup

Latest