The Student Room Group

What pathway is most accepting for apprentices?

I had always had in mind that I would go to university and I have always done decent in school. I have 9A*-A and 2BS at GCSE and a BBB at a level. However, I am not prepared to pay just under 28K for tuition fees alone and go into debt. I would rather do an apprenticeship and work my way up, if that is possible. It is kind of last minute decision but I am confident that I am not going to change it.

I am doing a little research so I would be ever so grateful if someone can help me answer these questions.

1. What field allows the most progression for apprentices? I know it depends a lot on the work ethic and determination of the apprentice, but some industries , I believe are more open than others.

2. Are you aware of any very good companies that are now recruiting for apprentices?

3. What is the overall attitudes to apprentices in the work-place? Would I be taken seriously, if I were to apply for a job? For example, with they favour graduates ?

Finally, do you believe that degree apprenticeships(like digital and technology solutions) can be as valuable as traditional degrees (like Computer science)?

Thank you to whoever answers this, I know its lengthy but I don't have much time to results day as I have made this decision late.
(edited 5 years ago)
bro do an IBM apprenticeship they love dat ****
Reply 2
Original post by bbyevelyn
bro do an IBM apprenticeship they love dat ****

Just checked, there application for degree apprenticeships this year is closed. What a shame. I'll have a look over their general apprenticeship programs.
Original post by HANA897
Just checked, there application for degree apprenticeships this year is closed. What a shame. I'll have a look over their general apprenticeship programs.

ah that sucks, i'm sure they'll have a bunch available over the year as well tho. my boyfriend works for ibm n reckons that they love apprentices hahahahaha, i think a lot of businesses are actually starting to favour apprentices over graduated now just because a lot of graduates are really lacking work experience, so probably any other big company apprenticeships would be worth a look!
Original post by HANA897
I had always had in mind that I would go to university and I have always done decent in school. I have 9A*-A and 2BS at GCSE and a BBB at a level. However, I am not prepared to pay just under 28K for tuition fees alone and go into debt. I would rather do an apprenticeship and work my way up, if that is possible. It is kind of last minute decision but I am confident that I am not going to change it.

I am doing a little research so I would be ever so grateful if someone can help me answer these questions.

1. What field allows the most progression for apprentices? I know it depends a lot on the work ethic and determination of the apprentice, but some industries , I believe are more open than others.

2. Are you aware of any very good companies that are now recruiting for apprentices?

3. What is the overall attitudes to apprentices in the work-place? Would I be taken seriously, if I were to apply for a job? For example, with they favour graduates ?

Finally, do you believe that degree apprenticeships(like digital and technology solutions) can be as valuable as traditional degrees (like Computer science)?

Thank you to whoever answers this, I know its lengthy but I don't have much time to results day as I have made this decision late.

There is quite alot of opportunities within construction (project managent and quantity surveying/commercial management). Challenging industry but rewarding.
Reply 5
Original post by vivaronaldoo
There is quite alot of opportunities within construction (project managent and quantity surveying/commercial management). Challenging industry but rewarding.

I’ve seen a few but I’m more interested in the IT and software development sector. Is it okay that I don’t know how to program? What I mean by that is are apprentices taught from scratch?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by HANA897
I’ve seen a few but I’m more interested in the IT and software development sector. Is it okay that I don’t know how to program? What I mean by that is are apprentices taught from scratch?

Yeah its fine. I went into my industry with no knowledge.

However as apprenticeships are getting more competitive than they used to be (esp degree level). If you showed intiative to learn programming etc. yourself I can only presume that employers would take preference over those who dont know anything. But there also other factors taken into consideration that could be what makes your CV stand out!!
Original post by HANA897

1. Tech (such as IT, Software, Cyber Security and Network Engineering), Project Management, CMI, Marketing and Business apprenticeships

2. Companies such as BT, ASOS, Vodafone, Bloomberg, Cisco, O2 and many other big companies are recruiting apprentices.

3. You will be treated equally to other graduates and employees within the business. Your work ethic and professionalism will determine how valuable you are to the company. In regards to applying they tend to separate graduate and apprenticeship opportunities when advertising their roles.

Finally, degree apprenticeships are equivalent to a degree, whilst working and studying you'll be completing your apprenticeship with the degree under your belt. :smile:
Reply 8
@QA Apprenticeships am I amble to apply to a degree apprenticeship through clearing?

It’s very risky to reject my degree and go through a entirely alien and long interview process when I may not even get the apprenticeship ?
Original post by HANA897
@QA Apprenticeships am I amble to apply to a degree apprenticeship through clearing?

It’s very risky to reject my degree and go through a entirely alien and long interview process when I may not even get the apprenticeship ?

If you don't want to risk rejecting university then by all means go for the option you feel more confident in taken.

With that being said as someone who went for an apprenticeship and works for QA Apprenticeships, they'll prepare you to be interview ready and with the qualifications you have achieved, I'm confident you will have no problem in finding the right degree apprenticeship.
Original post by HANA897

Working at TSR and hiring techie people (programmers, techOps and QA), I am generally seeing more people who don't go to university than ever before, I suspect for the same reason as you are describing.

As long as you gain the technical on the job experience and have a keen interest to build your knowledge, I don't feel not having a degree will hold you back in most technical jobs.

The hard thing is getting the experience in the first place, so finding the right apprenticeship.
Original post by marcusgb
Working at TSR and hiring techie people (programmers, techOps and QA), I am generally seeing more people who don't go to university than ever before, I suspect for the same reason as you are describing.

As long as you gain the technical on the job experience and have a keen interest to build your knowledge, I don't feel not having a degree will hold you back in most technical jobs.

The hard thing is getting the experience in the first place, so finding the right apprenticeship.

Totally agree!! The experience is what employers find essential when hiring, pursuing an apprenticeship provides both elements of experience and qualification.
Original post by HANA897

If you can find something to pay the bills for a year, then the GCHQ degree apprenticeship scheme will next month be recruiting for September 2019 entry (we need a year's lead time due to the security clearances).

You can find some more information here (although it relates to the 2018 entry, the 2019 scheme will be broadly similar), and and register your interest for the 2019 scheme here. One of our apprentices has also written about their experiences here

To answer your questions above:

1. Our apprentices can progress as far as their talent, aptitude and wishes take them. Once they have completed their programme and joined our workforce, they are indistinguishable from any other employee, with regard to their background and the route they took into the organisation (although it's notable how proud the ex-apprentices are of the scheme).

2. I admit we are slightly biased, but see above :smile:

3. As you gain a degree as part of your apprenticeship, you should be treated as any other graduate would. As others have pointed out, employers today really value practical experience, so you'll be in a good position.

Good luck with your choices!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending