The Student Room Group

What can I do with two nat5s

I am a really good student despite the lack of qualifications, I had to miss a lot of school due to a mental health crisis only got two nat5s in about eight months of studying and was denied an extra year at school. I have very little parental support but I want to go into further education. All the college courses I have looked at require at least three nat5s, I guess what I want to know is if there's some way of getting around this or do I need to spend a year trying to get more qualifications?
Original post by katie________
I am a really good student despite the lack of qualifications, I had to miss a lot of school due to a mental health crisis only got two nat5s in about eight months of studying and was denied an extra year at school. I have very little parental support but I want to go into further education. All the college courses I have looked at require at least three nat5s, I guess what I want to know is if there's some way of getting around this or do I need to spend a year trying to get more qualifications?

What are your goals in education? Without further information I'm just going to throw some more generic advice your way. But if you've any specific education/career goals in mind you'd like more specific advice for let me know and I'll absolutely help you try and find the best pathway.

If you live within travelling distance of Glasgow, Glasgow Clyde College offers "Gateway to..." courses. Some are specific, like "Gateway to Health" and others are more vague such as "Gateway to College". They are aimed at people ready to start SCQF Level 4-5 courses. National 5s are an SCQF Level 5 course, as a comparison. Other colleges nearer you may offer similar courses - definitely look into what is on offer.

If you've a clear idea of what field you want to go into, then you might want to do an NQ. I'm going to use Glasgow Clyde College again here as an example, but you can study an NQ at most colleges. As an example, the requirements to apply for NQ Media and Journalism (Level 5) at Glasgow Clyde College is 2 National 5s - with English at a C or above. Look into which NQs are offered in your local colleges and what their specific requirements are.

If you feel you just want to continue where you left off in school, then you could enrol in National 5 courses at further education colleges. From here you could progress into Highers or alternative qualifications.

An alternative pathway is to apply for a Modern Apprenticeship (MA). This would allow you to make money while working towards qualifications. Our modern apprentices spend part of the week working in the role they're training in, then the other part of the week in college studying towards a Higher National Certificate (HNC; SCQF Level 7).

That's a lot of information, I know. As above, if you've an idea of what direction you want to move in and feel comfortable sharing that then I'd be happy to try and help you put together a plan of where to start / what your progression goals might look like.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by katie________
Hi, I’m really sorry to here that ☹️ what Nat 5s did you get ??? And I think you most likely need to take another year to get some qualifications but you could look at local colleges ectra and email explaining ur circumstances🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending