The Student Room Group

EPQ Topic Ideas

I am starting sixth form in September and have to complete an EPQ over the next year or so. I have no particular ideas except that I have a great interest in agriculture and I am looking forward to studying Maths, Geography and Biology and have a particular interest in Biology.

Please let me know if you have any ideas.
Original post by EmilyDare
I am starting sixth form in September and have to complete an EPQ over the next year or so. I have no particular ideas except that I have a great interest in agriculture and I am looking forward to studying Maths, Geography and Biology and have a particular interest in Biology.

Work out what course you are interested in an do an EPQ that would be relevant and raises a question the admissions tutor might be interested in knowing the answer to. It is better to do some research first and just get familiar with your chosen area before deciding on a title. You are being a bit too vague at the moment,. read 20 articles and jot down potential areas. deciding a title too early can really leave you struggling.
Reply 2
Moved to the EPQ forum :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Work out what course you are interested in an do an EPQ that would be relevant and raises a question the admissions tutor might be interested in knowing the answer to. It is better to do some research first and just get familiar with your chosen area before deciding on a title. You are being a bit too vague at the moment,. read 20 articles and jot down potential areas. deciding a title too early can really leave you struggling.

Ok thank you I will do some more reading
Ok thank you I will do some more reading

Come back when you have a better idea of what you want.
have an open mind and test out several titles.

Distributions of (something biological), and why that might be?
Honestly, having just finished year 13....

Don’t do an EPQ, unless you plan to apply to a uni that makes a reduced offer if you get a good grade in EPQ (usually reduced by one grade). It’s just so time consuming and not really worth it. Mine was marked at 3 off full marks... none of my 5 unis (Cambridge, St Andrews, UCL, Queens Belfast, Edinburgh) cared!

Good luck anyway :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by sureofit

Don’t do an EPQ, unless you plan to apply to a uni that makes a reduced offer if you get a good grade in EPQ (usually reduced by one grade). It’s just so time consuming and not really worth it. Mine was marked at 3 off full marks... none of my 5 unis (Cambridge, St Andrews, UCL, Queens Belfast, Edinburgh) cared!

Thanks for the advice. I am not really sure that I necessarily want to do an epq anyway but am having to convince myself purely because I am hopefully going to competitive grammar school sixth form and we will be pressured into doing the EPQ.
Thanks for the advice. I am not really sure that I necessarily want to do an epq anyway but am having to convince myself purely because I am hopefully going to competitive grammar school sixth form and we will be pressured into doing the EPQ.

Okay :smile: in my experience it didn’t really provide any benefits apart from learning how to cite sources. My SF made me do it and I really wish I’d left the programme like some others did!

If you’re doing 3/4 A-Levels too, really do think about if it’s worth it to devote a lot of time to something that may not bring you much benefit. 😊
Reply 9
Okay :smile: in my experience it didn’t really provide any benefits apart from learning how to cite sources. My SF made me do it and I really wish I’d left the programme like some others did!

If you’re doing 3/4 A-Levels too, really do think about if it’s worth it to devote a lot of time to something that may not bring you much benefit. 😊

Thanks for the advice but as part of my school's policy we must complete a Baccalaureate which means we must either do 4 A Levels or 3 A Levels and the EPQ, however because I didn't get crazy high grade I am only allowed to do 3 A levels which means that unfortunately I must compete the EPQ.
Honestly just do one on the topic you'd like to study in the future. For instance, I want to study Law so that's what I'm doing it on.
Reply 11
Original post by KingCamembert
Honestly just do one on the topic you'd like to study in the future. For instance, I want to study Law so that's what I'm doing it on.

Yeh I am hoping to do one biology because that is my real passion and enjoyment

what uni did u get into ?
Reply 13
I have now come up with this possible titles and need to analyse them is there any positives or challenges you can help of?

-What are the issues of herbicides and pesticides and how will we stop these problems in the future?

-What are the current issues with antibiotics in agriculture and how will they be prevented in the future?
-How can we use stem cells to treat Parkinson’s?
- How are GM crops being developed and what are the advantages of these?

Thanks in advice for anyone who comments advice

Agricultural techniques from middle ages?
Is organic really healthier?
Best country to be a farmer?
Agriculture from around the world?
What is the most pointless crop grown?
Will genetic engineering irradiate need for mass exploitation of land?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending