The Student Room Group

Missed Oxford offer but still got in - what is going on???

So I checked track when it went live and it says my place has been confirmed. I was really excited to check my results...but when I checked my grades online, I got AAB. My Oxford offer was AAA and I thought that was the minimum...I got the B in History, one of the subjects I'll be doing in my joint degree, Ancient and Modern History.

I don't understand what's going on. Is it possible that:
1: I had a really near miss and they decided to take me anyway
2: They made a mistake in confirming my offer
3: My college made a mistake and displayed the incorrect grades online

Is there anything I can even do at this point? I don't have module scores and I really don't want to collect a physical version of my results. Will they decide I can't have my place if they realise they've made a mistake??

Edit: turns out there wasn't a mistake. Oxford have just emailed me acknowledging that I missed my offer but they're taking me anyway. I'm really torn up and confused right now.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StevetheIcecube
So I checked track when it went live and it says my place has been confirmed. I was really excited to check my results...but when I checked my grades online, I got AAB. My Oxford offer was AAA and I thought that was the minimum...I got the B in History, one of the subjects I'll be doing in my joint degree, Ancient and Modern History.

Is there anything I can even do at this point? I don't have module scores and I really don't want to collect a physical version of my results. Will they decide I can't have my place if they realise they've made a mistake??

That means they already assessed your application as a near miss and decided to accept you anyways. Congratulations :smile: you are an Oxford Student now. They most likely will not have made a mistake.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I think Oxford accepts people who nearly miss offers anyway from what I've seen.

Congratulations! :smile:
In recent years a lot of universities have been accepting people who didn't meet their offer.
I was in exactly the same situation as you four years ago with Imperial. I was offered AAA for Biology and got AAB (with the B in Psychology). I called them up to check they hadn't made a mistake because I had been told that Imperial never accepts people who missed their offer and they very nicely told me if it says accepted, it's accepted.

I was really confused and kind of worried that everyone would think I was 'stupid' or that I wouldn't be able to cope with the course. Turns out loads of people got accepted who missed their offers and we were all worried about the same thing - I only met a handful of people who actually got their offer! It was a very tough year for A Levels and they didn't want to go into clearing so they accepted people who missed their offer, but who they thought were capable anyway. I graduated last year with a 1st so I like to think they knew what they were doing!

You got into Oxford!!!!! I know it's annoying to just miss the grade you wanted after working so hard, but these things happen. You have done really, really well and have earned the right to celebrate being an Oxford student. WELL DONE!!! :biggrin:
well done!!!!!!
well done for getting into oxford! your application and personal statement must've been really strong:biggrin:
Reply 7
I missed my Oxford offer this year but still got in too!!! I needed AAA but ended up with A*A*B. It's definitely not a mistake. I think you have to remember that because the admissions process is so long, they definitely already want you when they give you an offer. So take it as a compliment that Oxford have especially picked you, even when they could have rejected you so easily - that is what is getting me through the pain of my B ahaha.
well done for getting into oxford xx
your hard work has paid off :smile:

Edit: turns out there wasn't a mistake. Oxford have just emailed me acknowledging that I missed my offer but they're taking me anyway. I'm really torn up and confused right now.

Just goes to show they're looking for more than just grades! Congrats, maybe I'll see you there :wink:

(PS. Don't worry that this means you won't do as well on the course if you are , degree is an entirely different game!)

I know others who have just missed their Oxford offers and got in, but Cambridges academic standards are higher and ive not seen them do this.
It's not even worth thinking about. You're going to Oxford! Having a B instead of an A will make no difference in your further life. Once you enter university and start to get graduate positions (especially now you're getting an Oxford degree) A levels are nothing more than university entrance exams.

And guess what, you've passed :biggrin:
Original post by Maths&physics
I know others who have just missed their Oxford offers and got in, but Cambridges academic standards are higher and ive not seen them do this.

I was reading some A-level news today and one pupil got A*AA and still got into Cambridge to study medicine. The usual requirement is A*A*A so its definitely possible! Xxxxx
Original post by FloralPrints
I was reading some A-level news today and one pupil got A*AA and still got into Cambridge to study medicine. The usual requirement is A*A*A so its definitely possible! Xxxxx

its still A*AA, not A*AB... but from what I know, Cambridge dont really budge.
Why would you be torn up? you have the e-mail confirmation. You should be celebrating.
Same grades as you, two marks off an A in History, didn’t get in.

Consider yourself lucky
I saw a student with A*AB not get in today

As I said in the post you repped recently, it's how all the best people get in. Especially the AAB people. Totally unbiased opinion :ninja:

CONGRATS :king1: So chuffed for you :biggrin:
Original post by Muttley79
I saw a student with A*AB not get in today

What's that got to do with the price of coffee beans?
Original post by Notoriety
What's that got to do with the price of coffee beans?

People are quoting examples of people who did and didn't get in. Read the thread :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending