The Student Room Group

GCSE chemistry help urgent please

Suggest which properties of graphene would make it useful in the manufacture of bullet-proof vests.
Reply 1
it's very thin and strong
Reply 2
Original post by SamMed
it's very thin and strong

It’s a 3 mark question
Reply 3
flexible?
Very High high melting and boiling point :biggrin: (bullets will be hot when they are fired)
Its a good conductor of electricity and it is very strong
Original post by Joe Walton
Its a good conductor of electricity and it is very strong

How does electricity have anything to do with stopping power?

"Oh yeah, I have my scuba kit because it's resistant to fire."
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by RickiestRick
How do electricity have anything to do with stopping power?

"Oh yeah, I have my scuba kit because it's resistant to fire."

lmao I didn't read the question correctly haha. I got an A grade in chemistry at a level and GCSE, I should be reading to question fully. I was wrong there XD
Original post by Fifty345
Suggest which properties of graphene would make it useful in the manufacture of bullet-proof vests.

Graphene has many unique properties, making it an ideal material for use in bulletproof vest.
1):It has very high thermal resistance.Very high melting and boiling point which helps against the heat which is generated by the velocity of the bullet
2): Graphene is known to be one of the strongest materials ever made and a single-layer graphene sheet can withstand up to 42 N m-1 of STRESS and GREAT FORCE (Impulse/momentum), with a Young’s modulus of 1.0 Tpa. which is very useful.
3):It is incredibly light yet so strong for its weight so it is easier to carry then some vest if they were made of for e.g lead xD.
4):Graphene withstands 10 times the kinetic energy then steel can

I got A in Igcse :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest