The Student Room Group

A levels as a private candidate

Hello I would like to sit my a levels as a private candidate do any of you think that I would be able to carry coursework over and just sit written exams
Bump
Coursework is marked 'internally' (not by the exam board, but by your teacher or equivalent) so you would either need to register for the exam through your school (they usually let you do this for a fee) so that a teacher can mark it, or find an exam board that doesn't require coursework.

If you are resisting your exam, you have to resit ALL the components (at least for reformed A-levels), which would mean redoing your coursework and having it remarked.
Original post by vessa
Coursework is marked 'internally' (not by the exam board, but by your teacher or equivalent) so you would either need to register for the exam through your school (they usually let you do this for a fee) so that a teacher can mark it, or find an exam board that doesn't require coursework.

If you are resisting your exam, you have to resit ALL the components (at least for reformed A-levels), which would mean redoing your coursework and having it remarked.

Wrong. The second bit anyways, AQA allows you to transfer NEA (non-exam assessment) marks for most reformed A-levels. This depends on the exam board, so you would just have to resit the exam components...
Original post by History warrior
Hello I would like to sit my a levels as a private candidate do any of you think that I would be able to carry coursework over and just sit written exams

You can with AQA if it's under non-exam assessment (NEA), I enquired about carrying over my Alevel reformed coursework marks. I would double check with the subject you're doing and the exam board. I think nearly all A-levels call them NEA, instead of "coursework" because its what teachers and students refer to them as all the time. A-levels weren't 'meant' to be designed with coursework so they termed the fancy abbreviation NEA. It's supposed to be 100% exam (Otherwise, what's the difference between A-levels and BTECs) so there are only few subjects with NEA such as Computer Science and English etc.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest