The Student Room Group

PhD at University of Reading

I was searching for an exciting topic in the area of biological sciences for my PhD. I eventually found one at the University of Reading, but looking it up I realised that Reading had mixed reviews about it in general. I'm really confused, because I really love the topic, but the league tables are not much inclined towards Reading, and the university is not part of the Russell group as well. I wonder if there's someone who knows what PhD might be like at Reading? Any kind of help would really be appreciated.
Original post by Silverado
I was searching for an exciting topic in the area of biological sciences for my PhD. I eventually found one at the University of Reading, but looking it up I realised that Reading had mixed reviews about it in general. I'm really confused, because I really love the topic, but the league tables are not much inclined towards Reading, and the university is not part of the Russell group as well. I wonder if there's someone who knows what PhD might be like at Reading? Any kind of help would really be appreciated.

Reviews from who? Your experience will be with your supervisor, not the uni in general. What do you know about the support for PhD students in the dept and uni, things like teaching and conference opportunities, how big the lab group is, how happy they are, how many students and postdocs there are, how many people finish on time? The Russell group is for research intense unis but if your supervisor is doing interesting work but isn't at one it's fine.

Hello,

That's really great you have found such an interesting topic for your PhD - that is very important!
I am going into my final year at Reading and have thoroughly enjoyed every year. Despite Reading not being at the top of the league table for my course (Food Science) I truly believe it has incredible lecturers (including biological Sciences because I did many of their lectures in first and second year) who are experts in their fields. The lab facilities are great with the modern Hopkins lab and the labs within Biological Sciences. Many of my housemates in 2nd year studied Biological Sciences and found their dissertation supervisors helpful and committed.
Within Food Science and other departments I know many PhD students who love Reading and studying their PhD there. Many of them also choose to stay as Post Docs in Reading. They all recommend doing a PhD at Reading so much that I have considered doing one when I graduate.
Reading has a lively campus, with lots of green space and a large postgraduate community.

Hope this has helped you, and please do get in touch with anymore questions or concerns!

Alice :h:
Food Science Student
Reply 3
Original post by alleycat393
Reviews from who? Your experience will be with your supervisor, not the uni in general. What do you know about the support for PhD students in the dept and uni, things like teaching and conference opportunities, how big the lab group is, how happy they are, how many students and postdocs there are, how many people finish on time? The Russell group is for research intense unis but if your supervisor is doing interesting work but isn't at one it's fine.

Thank you, there were reviews about library services mainly that caught my eye, but I see your point👍🏽
Reply 4
Original post by UniofReading
Hello,

That's really great you have found such an interesting topic for your PhD - that is very important!
I am going into my final year at Reading and have thoroughly enjoyed every year. Despite Reading not being at the top of the league table for my course (Food Science) I truly believe it has incredible lecturers (including biological Sciences because I did many of their lectures in first and second year) who are experts in their fields. The lab facilities are great with the modern Hopkins lab and the labs within Biological Sciences. Many of my housemates in 2nd year studied Biological Sciences and found their dissertation supervisors helpful and committed.
Within Food Science and other departments I know many PhD students who love Reading and studying their PhD there. Many of them also choose to stay as Post Docs in Reading. They all recommend doing a PhD at Reading so much that I have considered doing one when I graduate.
Reading has a lively campus, with lots of green space and a large postgraduate community.

Hope this has helped you, and please do get in touch with anymore questions or concerns!

Food Science Student

Thank you Alice! Food science is amazing there😄 I hope things go well for you.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience👍🏽 this really changes everything
Thank you Alice! Food science is amazing there😄 I hope things go well for you.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience👍🏽 this really changes everything

Thank you so much!

Really glad this helped you out, anymore questions or concerns please just ask!

Hi guys,

I have ADHD, got 2.2 in BSc "Biomedical science" and Pass in MSc "Immunology and Immunotherapy". Does anyone know which university consider such application please?
Thanks in advance
Original post by sohpie1976
Hi guys,

I have ADHD, got 2.2 in BSc "Biomedical science" and Pass in MSc "Immunology and Immunotherapy". Does anyone know which university consider such application please?
Thanks in advance

Hi!

Are you asking in regards to a PhD?
It’s definitely worth talking to the universities you’re interested in.

Reading try to look at applications on an individual basis so would be worth talking to the application team who will be able to talk more with you about your specific situation, however this is the requirements listed on the website at the moment:

ACADEMIC REQUIREMENTS

To be accepted to study for a PhD, applicants will normally need to have an undergraduate degree of at least an Upper Second-class/2.1 (or equivalent) and/or a master's degree, in a subject related to the proposed PhD topic. In some areas of the University (particularly in the arts, humanities, social sciences and business) applicants are normally only accepted if they have a master's level qualification.

I hope this helps in some way!

Skye
1st Year Speech and Language Therapy Student
Hi!

Are you asking in regards to a PhD?
It’s definitely worth talking to the universities you’re interested in.

Reading try to look at applications on an individual basis so would be worth talking to the application team who will be able to talk more with you about your specific situation, however this is the requirements listed on the website at the moment:

ACADEMIC REQUIREMENTS

To be accepted to study for a PhD, applicants will normally need to have an undergraduate degree of at least an Upper Second-class/2.1 (or equivalent) and/or a master's degree, in a subject related to the proposed PhD topic. In some areas of the University (particularly in the arts, humanities, social sciences and business) applicants are normally only accepted if they have a master's level qualification.

I hope this helps in some way!

Skye
1st Year Speech and Language Therapy Student

Hi

Thanks, I am regarding to a PhD "self-funded".
Original post by sohpie1976
Hi

Thanks, I am regarding to a PhD "self-funded".

Hey @sohpie1976

I would say the same as Skye, try chatting to the uni about this specifically as only they can give you an accurate answer.

Good luck with the uni hunt!

Daisy
2nd year politics and international relations student
Hey @sohpie1976

I would say the same as Skye, try chatting to the uni about this specifically as only they can give you an accurate answer.

Good luck with the uni hunt!

Daisy
2nd year politics and international relations student

Hi and Thanks for your suggestion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending