The Student Room Group

PhD Transfer - Impossible offer condition

Hi,

I have decided to transfer away from my PhD at one institution and stated that I would be awarded a PGDip if I was to leave my position. The university I wanted to transfer to placed a condition of me getting this PGDip, which I understand, and I have since provided an official letter confirming I have met the requirements. The university, however, has turned around and told me that unless they receive a letter confirming I have left my current position, they can't accept me. I am also getting paid at both institutions, hence I don't want to lose the financial source and possibility of getting a PhD regardless.

Perhaps I am overreacting, but it feels the university has left me in an impossible situation that is hampering my mental health. Wondering if anyone can provide any advice. I should also note I have a First class masters from the university I am transferring back to, and so also unsure why so much significance has been placed on the PGDip.
Original post by nanowiz123
Hi,

I have decided to transfer away from my PhD at one institution and stated that I would be awarded a PGDip if I was to leave my position. The university I wanted to transfer to placed a condition of me getting this PGDip, which I understand, and I have since provided an official letter confirming I have met the requirements. The university, however, has turned around and told me that unless they receive a letter confirming I have left my current position, they can't accept me. I am also getting paid at both institutions, hence I don't want to lose the financial source and possibility of getting a PhD regardless.

Perhaps I am overreacting, but it feels the university has left me in an impossible situation that is hampering my mental health. Wondering if anyone can provide any advice. I should also note I have a First class masters from the university I am transferring back to, and so also unsure why so much significance has been placed on the PGDip.

There is very likely an institutional rule that you can only be registered at ONE place at a time, ergo you must leave your current position before you can take up another. BTW transfer part way through a PhD to another institution is pretty rare in my experience, and often driven by something major such as death of a supervisor. That said, there is very likely a specific process that must be followed in a situation like this, and the paperwork can be a bit tricky.
Reply 2
Original post by Mr Wednesday
There is very likely an institutional rule that you can only be registered at ONE place at a time, ergo you must leave your current position before you can take up another. BTW transfer part way through a PhD to another institution is pretty rare in my experience, and often driven by something major such as death of a supervisor. That said, there is very likely a specific process that must be followed in a situation like this, and the paperwork can be a bit tricky.

I was effectively part of a CDT and hence enrolled initially on the taught component (PGDip). So slightly different from a straight PhD transfer. Yes, unfortunately I do understand the rules in place, but it does seem a truly awkward position you wouldn't expect to see outside academia (I think).
Reply 3
I was effectively part of a CDT and hence enrolled initially on the taught component (PGDip). So slightly different from a straight PhD transfer. Yes, unfortunately I do understand the rules in place, but it does seem a truly awkward position you wouldn't expect to see outside academia (I think).

Lots of jobs have exclusivity clauses in contracts, meaning you can't be employed in two places at once, so this is kind of similar.

If I've read it right, the problem is that you want your place at the second uni confirmed before you notify your current uni that you're leaving? In other words, you don't want to be in a scenario where you've left the first uni without a confirmed place, only for the second uni to then retract its conditional offer, and you've then got nowhere to go to finish your PhD. But the second uni won't confirm your place until you've proven that you've left your current uni.

I think that's just a gamble you'll have to take. The second uni can't enrol you if you're still enrolled elsewhere, and I guess they don't want to confirm a place (and funding?) if there's any chance that you'll change your mind and stay where you are.

But presumably you don't want to carry on at the first uni under any circumstances, otherwise you wouldn't be looking to leave, so I can't see that you will be in any worse a position if your second uni retracts the offer than you would be if you'd just quit the PhD altogether.
(edited 7 months ago)

Ok, that makes things a bit clearer, a CDT "should" have a well defined exit route after year 1, but that is typically an MSc. Yes, its awkward, but very common for universities to mandate "be registered at one institution at a time", its unlikely that rule is breakable.
Reply 5
Original post by fedora34
Lots of jobs have exclusivity clauses in contracts, meaning you can't be employed in two places at once, so this is kind of similar.

If I've read it right, the problem is that you want your place at the second uni confirmed before you notify your current uni that you're leaving? In other words, you don't want to be in a scenario where you've left the first uni without a confirmed place, only for the second uni to then retract its conditional offer, and you've then got nowhere to go to finish your PhD. But the second uni won't confirm your place until you've proven that you've left your current uni.

I think that's just a gamble you'll have to take. The second uni can't enrol you if you're still enrolled elsewhere, and I guess they don't want to confirm a place (and funding?) if there's any chance that you'll change your mind and stay where you are.

But presumably you don't want to carry on at the first uni under any circumstances, otherwise you wouldn't be looking to leave, so I can't see that you will be in any worse a position if your second uni retracts the offer than you would be if you'd just quit the PhD altogether.

Yes, perhaps this is a scenario I should have always expected. Yes, the predicament is that I would be taking a gamble. I do see no PhD (and no financial income for the time being) worse than staying in my current position, otherwise I think i would've taken your advice and just gone for it and withdrawn.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 6
Yes, perhaps this is a scenario I should have always expected. Yes, the predicament is that I would be taking a gamble. I do see no PhD (and no financial income for the time being) worse than staying in my current position, otherwise I think i would've taken your advice and just gone for it and withdrawn.

Yeah that's a tricky one then. I guess you just have to weigh up how much the gamble is worth to you. It's highly probable that the second uni will honour the offer (once you've left your current place) and there'll be no problem, but there is always the risk that it won't. I don't know why you're wanting to transfer, but I guess you just need to consider how awful it would be to stay, and then at least you'll have that safety.

Maybe you could try and get some kind of written assurance from your second uni? Make it clear that you're absolutely committed to transferring but that you're wary of losing both your income and PhD progress? I've no idea if that would work but you're basically at a bureaucratic impasse and either you or the uni will have to cede some ground first.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending