The Student Room Group

A-level chemistry help

Hello guys,
My name is Fatima and i got an A* in AQA A-level chemistry. If you want help on any thing (which i can do obviously !), then feel free to ask.
Hope this thread helps you!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fakbarpoor
Hello guys,
My name is Fatima and i got an A* in AQA A-level chemistry. If you want help on any thing (which i can do obviously !), then feel free to ask.

Hi :smile: Congrats on the fantastic achievement!

How did you prepare for the exams? How did you learn the content, did you use chemrevise?
How did you ace the practical questions? Did you do a lot of past papers and practice questions?
Reply 2
hello,
well my prep started ages before the exam ( i started at the beginning of A-levels) by making notes and flashcards and experimenting with both. for my notes, i used class notes, chemrevise and the textbook. The most useful thing 1-2 months before the exam was a folder which contained all my notes condensed + all the summary sheets my teacher gave me+ all the chemical tests we needed to know. The practical questions were the toughest, however they get easier as you go through the year. to prepare for these, i did practical questions from the old spec + the new ones and used the new mark schemes to perfect my answers. Yes i did a lot of past papers (including old spec). 1 question i got in my paper was exactly the same from a paper in the old spec so they do recycle questions. hope this helps.

Original post by Grade A
Hi :smile: Congrats on the fantastic achievement!

How did you prepare for the exams? How did you learn the content, did you use chemrevise?
How did you ace the practical questions? Did you do a lot of past papers and practice questions?
Hello guys,

Congratulations on the wonderful result.

I am studying Chemistry , Biology & Maths in Year 12.

Please can you tell me how to prepare so that I can also get A*.
I leave for school at 07:15 in the morning and back at home at 17:00

I have free lessons at school also, I am trying to best utilizemy time at school as when home after such a long time its very difficult get in the stufy mode.

Fatima, your suggestions will be much appreciated.

Which courses you have taken and wjich Uni you are going to?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 4
Hello,
i did chemistry, biology and maths and got 3A*s. I am taking a gap year currently to apply to medicine (hopefully cambridge). I used to have the same timings as you and it can be difficult sometimes. However, if you utilise the study periods properly and do 1-2 hours at home each night it will be great. Don't push yourself too hard at the beginning because it can become difficult later on. Start by making notes on each topic (or whichever revision method suits you) after finishing each chapter. Use multiple resources to get the full picture e.g. chemrevise, youtube, class notes, textbook (whatever resource you feel comfortable with) when making notes. After each full chapter start questions by topic from A-levelchemistry or physics and maths tutor, it doesn't matter that they are from the old spec they are very useful!!! Then when you start covering more topics start doing old past papers (near christmas time) and save the new spec papers for a few weeks before your mock exams. Try to analyse the new mark schemes especially for the longer questions because they might do stage marking. Try to use old spec practical papers later in the year as well when you do a few practicals and also the new spec ones. I know it might seem overwhelming but it will build up and sink in slowly. Hope this helps (ask me any more questions if i wasn't clear!)

Original post by helpintransfer
Congratulations on the wonderful result.

I am studying Chemistry , Biology & Maths in Year 12.

Please can you tell me how to prepare so that I can also get A*.
I leave for school at 07:15 in the morning and back at home at 17:00

I have free lessons at school also, I am trying to best utilizemy time at school as when home after such a long time its very difficult get in the stufy mode.

Fatima, your suggestions will be much appreciated.

Which courses you have taken and wjich Uni you are going to?

Thanks in advance.
Hello,
i did chemistry, biology and maths and got 3A*s. I am taking a gap year currently to apply to medicine (hopefully cambridge). I used to have the same timings as you and it can be difficult sometimes. However, if you utilise the study periods properly and do 1-2 hours at home each night it will be great. Don't push yourself too hard at the beginning because it can become difficult later on. Start by making notes on each topic (or whichever revision method suits you) after finishing each chapter. Use multiple resources to get the full picture e.g. chemrevise, youtube, class notes, textbook (whatever resource you feel comfortable with) when making notes. After each full chapter start questions by topic from A-levelchemistry or physics and maths tutor, it doesn't matter that they are from the old spec they are very useful!!! Then when you start covering more topics start doing old past papers (near christmas time) and save the new spec papers for a few weeks before your mock exams. Try to analyse the new mark schemes especially for the longer questions because they might do stage marking. Try to use old spec practical papers later in the year as well when you do a few practicals and also the new spec ones. I know it might seem overwhelming but it will build up and sink in slowly. Hope this helps (ask me any more questions if i wasn't clear!)

Hey fatima I'm currently resiting chem and bio this year. any tips and do you think it's possible to manage both subjects in a year? I've just got my personal statement done and dusted. I'm now focusing my time on revision. I've no school - I'm sitting as a private student which helps with time. I got BD last year (chem, bio). I left everything to the last minute and crammed last year.
Reply 6
Original post by shohaib712
Hey fatima I'm currently resiting chem and bio this year. any tips and do you think it's possible to manage both subjects in a year? I've just got my personal statement done and dusted. I'm now focusing my time on revision. I've no school - I'm sitting as a private student which helps with time. I got BD last year (chem, bio). I left everything to the last minute and crammed last year.

Hello,
both subjects are definitely manageable if you manage your time properly. I would say start very early (so now!) if you are aiming for A/A*. Aim for 6-8 hours of revision a day (not everyday- have some days off if you think you would be unproductive). For chemistry, it's all about doing practice questions and understanding the concepts EARLY, because the earlier you go over a concept the easier for it to sink in long term. Start by making notes ACTIVELY ( do not copy, rephrase and use many sources to write your notes/ flashcards/ posters etc..). Then do the questions by topic from A-levelchemistry /Physics and maths tutor. when you finish a unit or so start doing full past papers (old ones). Then do the new spec past papers and analyse the mark schemes (especially for long answer questions and practical method questions) and try to tailor your answers to the mark scheme. Examiners rephrase old questions so use past papers! Don't underestimate the practical part, they form a big chunk in the exam (use old practical papers online). For bio, use the same method but go over the content more often because it is content heavy. if you can afford it, buy the tailored tutors course (it is AMAZING). Try to focus on the data analysis questions because they are increasing their number in the exam and make note of the mark scheme answers.
Hope this helps.
Reply 7
Hello,
was there a specific element that you think contributed to your grades? Or do you just want general advice?
hope i can help you!
Hi,

Well done on getting such good grades!

I’m going to be resitting chemistry after getting a C (I was predicted an A). I’m not aiming for the top grades, but hope for a B. Does anyone know if I’ll have to redo the practical part, which I’ve already passed?

Thanks
Reply 9
Original post by uni20188
Hi,

Well done on getting such good grades!

I’m going to be resitting chemistry after getting a C (I was predicted an A). I’m not aiming for the top grades, but hope for a B. Does anyone know if I’ll have to redo the practical part, which I’ve already passed?

Thanks

hello,
if you are doing the exam with the same centre, you don't need to do it again. hope this helps.
Hi, I'm doing chemistry OCR A level and I've just finished my first week of Year 12. How do you think i should fully prepare to get an A*? What are your top 3 tips to ssecure the best grade?
Congrats on your results as well!!
hello,
if you are doing the exam with the same centre, you don't need to do it again. hope this helps.

By ‘same centre’ does that mean at the same school I did my exams at previously?

Thanks
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by MydaMina
Hi, I'm doing chemistry OCR A level and I've just finished my first week of Year 12. How do you think i should fully prepare to get an A*? What are your top 3 tips to ssecure the best grade?
Congrats on your results as well!!

Hello,
Top three:
1. start revision early (make notes regularly) and use as many useful sources to make your notes in your OWN WORDS
2. Use past papers for both core content and practicals (including old past papers). Also do questions by topic from A-levelchemistry.com and analyse mark schemes from the new spec papers
3. near exams time, create a folder containing all the summaries you made for all the topics, chemical tests, practicals, mechanisms, naming etc.. (those will come later in the year.
and finally do not overdo it, you just stared and for now just focus on understanding the topic you are learning. Think about experimenting with different websites, note taking methods and so on.
Hope this helps!
Original post by uni20188
By ‘same centre’ does that mean at the same school I did my exams at previously?

Thanks

yes.
Hello guys,

Hi, I’ve just started year 12 doing A level Chemistry. What is the workload like and how hard was chemistry in comparison to your other subjects?
Hello,
Well it must be really frustrating with biology!! Did you think of remarks? So with synthetic routes, it is very good if you can create a big fat summary of all the possible routes for each homologous series (i can send you my sheet if you want). NMR was my biggest enemy!! I used to do 8-10 mark questions and get 2-3 marks only! The key with NMR is try to find as many questions online as you can, and then see what comes up for the first five marks for the 10 markers (it is usually the same). Ask your teacher for questions on NMR (they can get them from example if on AQA). For the chemical tests you have to write them all down and memorise them (i would suggest doing it on flashcards). For the practicals, get questions from the old spec papers and do them, they are quite similar. Then use the new spec questions and analyse them and try to tailor your answers to what they want.
For biology, i suggest doing lots of data analysis questions because they come up aloot and i can send you some if you are doing AQA. after doing these questions write down what comes up regularly in mark schemes and try to tailor your answers according to the mark scheme!
Hope this helps!
Hello,

Hi! That’s amazing Masha’allah. I’m in year 13 and I too want to apply for Cambridge medicine. I’m thinking about a gap year- what have you got planned this year? Also did u apply for unis last year?
Original post by ANDREW 200436
Hi, I’ve just started year 12 doing A level Chemistry. What is the workload like and how hard was chemistry in comparison to your other subjects?

Chemistrys workload honestly isn’t that bad- I felt as though biology was the most work for me followed by maths (although I did stress too much about maths haha). I’ve started second year of sixth form a week ago :smile:
Original post by ANDREW 200436

Hello,
It might seem overwhelming looking at those fat textbooks, but chemistry is all about understanding and less about memorising. it was the easiest subject (i did bio, chemistry and maths) and to be honest it was the only subject i expected an A* in !!
Hope this helps.
Original post by honeybooooo
Hi! That’s amazing Masha’allah. I’m in year 13 and I too want to apply for Cambridge medicine. I’m thinking about a gap year- what have you got planned this year? Also did u apply for unis last year?

Hello,
Thank you. I did apply last year and got rejected by all 4 unis, but I am happy with a gap year to be honest. I am planning to volunteer in a hospital, in a community centre and in my college to help with chemistry. Also, i would like to travel for sometime after i finish all interviews (hopefully!). Other things i would like to do is focus more on what i like to do (painting,horse riding etc..) and doing online courses on future learn (they have amazing courses on any subject you like!).
Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending