The Student Room Group

What would you say is the minimum number of A*s at GCSE to apply to oxbridge?

What would you say is the minimum number of A*s at GCSE to apply to oxbridge? (Specifically to something scientific, like Nat sci)

I know theres no actual limit, just the limit where it is unlikely that with those GCSE grades you'll perfmorm well in A-levels and in interviews etc
Zero
Reply 2
Original post by 901284091284
What would you say is the minimum number of A*s at GCSE to apply to oxbridge? (Specifically to something scientific, like Nat sci)

I know theres no actual limit, just the limit where it is unlikely that with those GCSE grades you'll perfmorm well in A-levels and in interviews etc

The reason why there's no actual limit is that GCSEs aren't as good a predictor of degree success as other factors.

It would be up to an individual to improve their academic performance from GCSE to A-levels, and yes that can be difficult but it's certainly doable. There are students at Cambridge with few or no A*s at GCSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
The reason why there's no actual limit is that GCSEs aren't as good a predictor of degree success as other factors.

It would be up to an individual to improve their academic performance from GCSE to A-levels, and yes that can be difficult but it's certainly doable. There are students at Cambridge with few or no A*s at GCSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What would you say is a better factor? Predicted Grades? AS results (if any)? Test scores in entrance tests?
Reply 4
What would you say is a better factor? Predicted Grades? AS results (if any)? Test scores in entrance tests?

According to Cambridge's own data, just about everything is a better predictor than GCSEs for most courses.

source: https://www.cao.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.cao.cam.ac.uk/files/ar_predictive_effectiveness_of_metrics_in_admission.pdf

note the above analysis was done when UMS was widely available from AS-leyels, and before the introduction of admissions assessments for many courses. It's likely further analysis will be published reflecting the currently evolving admissions process in due course.
Empirically? Zero.

We make offers to people with no A*s just about every year. I can only speak for Peterhouse but typically around 10% of our offers are to people with 2 or fewer A*s at GCSE (15% of offers to students with 3 or fewer).
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Empirically? Zero.

We make offers to people with no A*s just about every year. I can only speak for Peterhouse but typically around 10% of our offers are to people with 2 or fewer A*s at GCSE (15% of offers to students with 3 or fewer).

Okay thanks.

What percent of offers go to people with 6A* at GCSEs or fewer?
Reply 7
Okay thanks.

Is that how many you have? That's the average number for Cambridge applicants. And note, GCSEs are not the most important part of your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Apologies for irrelevance to original question, but I’m just curious why the OP seems to have posted this in 1970?
Original post by JMR2018
Apologies for irrelevance to original question, but I’m just curious why the OP seems to have posted this in 1970?

Unix time stamp messed up
set to 0, which is 1970
Reply 10
Original post by JMR2018

Original post by Faction Paradox
Unix time stamp messed up
set to 0, which is 1970

Yep. Happens relatively frequently :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay thanks.

Not that this really matters, but around half.

Do not rule yourself out if you are predicted the typical offer and like the look of our courses. Too many potentialy applicants fish around for reasons not to apply.
damn all these people posting in a 48 year old thread :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending