The Student Room Group

Circulatory system

I've been looking everywhere on the internet and I can't find the right info.

The question is?

Is Single & Double Circulatory system and Open and Closed Circulatory system different or is the double circulatory system similar to the closed circulatory system?

Why am I asking this?

Because it says closed circulatory the blood is enclosed within tubes.....just like the double circulatory system????

I don't need to know what they are just if they are similar or not and just for someone to explain it, not a big problem just a tad bit confused. I had too much to do to ask the teacher today so it's a bit too late.

Please answer asap, thanks
A single circulatory system occurs in animals such as fish which have a larger surface area to volume ratio than say us humans. Therefore they are able to get the air they need by diffusion from thier gills. That would be an example of open circulation as the substances are diffusing from outside of the body directly. We humans have a double circulatory system as we cannot obtain sufficient amounts of oxygen by diffusion therefore we need a double circulatory system. One going towards the lungs and the other transports to the rest of the body. This circulatory system is closed as our blood is transported more directly to where it is needed through blood vessels rather than by diffusion.
Original post by X1PRINCE
I've been looking everywhere on the internet and I can't find the right info.

The question is?

Is Single & Double Circulatory system and Open and Closed Circulatory system different or is the double circulatory system similar to the closed circulatory system?

Why am I asking this?

Because it says closed circulatory the blood is enclosed within tubes.....just like the double circulatory system????

I don't need to know what they are just if they are similar or not and just for someone to explain it, not a big problem just a tad bit confused. I had too much to do to ask the teacher today so it's a bit too late.

Please answer asap, thanks

You are confusing the single and double circulatory system with open and closed. Those are 2 different types. A single or double circulatory system can be open or closed but it depends on what organism you are looking at. Single and double circulatory system refers to how many times the blood goes through the heart. For example, in humans, blood goes through the heart twice before going to the rest of the body while in fish blood only goes through the heart once.

When you talk about open or closed circulatory system, it refers to blood either being in vessels like in humans or fish (closed circulatory system) or in the haemocoel in insects (open circulatory system).
Original post by y.u.mad.bro?
You are confusing the single and double circulatory system with open and closed. Those are 2 different types. A single or double circulatory system can be open or closed but it depends on what organism you are looking at. Single and double circulatory system refers to how many times the blood goes through the heart. For example, in humans, blood goes through the heart twice before going to the rest of the body while in fish blood only goes through the heart once.

When you talk about open or closed circulatory system, it refers to blood either being in vessels like in humans or fish (closed circulatory system) or in the haemocoel in insects (open circulatory system).

Ahhhh I get it now, thanks :P

They just sounded all different lol, Our school powerpoint wasn't going in detail enough, thanks mate...appricate it

Quick Reply

Latest