The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by medapplicant2k19
Would my stats give me a chance to recieve an interview by the holistic approach (post #54)?
Thanks

Possibly as your GCSEs and predicteds are amazing! But you'd have a very good chance at GCSE heavy unis like Cardiff and Birmingham since you have 8+ A*s, have you looked at these?
Original post by arigziegler
Possibly as your GCSEs and predicteds are amazing! But you'd have a very good chance at GCSE heavy unis like Cardiff and Birmingham since you have 8+ A*s, have you looked at these?

Would mine be ok via holistic approach GCSE 5A 4B and C great ps lots of work exp predicted AAA, UKCAT av 600
Original post by queenrich1
Would mine be ok via holistic approach GCSE 5A 4B and C great ps lots of work exp predicted AAA, UKCAT av 600

Maybe if your PS is amazing since your other stats are quite average for medical applicants and your UKCAT is on the low side.
This is just my opinion though so take it with a pinch of salt. Hopefully someone else will give their input.

Thanks for the advice.
On the birmingham offer calculator they said an interview was unlikely, and for cardiff the cut off was 24-26 points and I have 24.
Is it worth a try at Manchester by the holistic approach?
Thanks
Thanks for the advice.
On the birmingham offer calculator they said an interview was unlikely, and for cardiff the cut off was 24-26 points and I have 24.
Is it worth a try at Manchester by the holistic approach?
Thanks

I'm not sure honestly, I didn't apply to Manchester last year so I'm not very familiar with their holistic route.
I'd suggest you look at last year's thread and see the profile of applicants who received an interview, that will give you the most realistic insight.
I'm not sure honestly, I didn't apply to Manchester last year so I'm not very familiar with their holistic route.
I'd suggest you look at last year's thread and see the profile of applicants who received an interview, that will give you the most realistic insight.

How do I find the thread?

In the search bar look for something like "Manchester A106 medicine 2018"

Try asking on here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4874330&page=33 for some advice
Reply 68
I got 6A*s 4As and a B at GCSE with predicted AAA at a level and 2640(74th percentile) band 3 in the ukcat. How likely am I to be invited for an interview?
Original post by DejiS
I got 6A*s 4As and a B at GCSE with predicted AAA at a level and 2640(74th percentile) band 3 in the ukcat. How likely am I to be invited for an interview?

Based on last year's cut off you wouldn't have been invited through the traditional way and there's no way to know how they work out interviews for the holistic way which is 1/3 of all interviews I believe.
Reply 70
Based on last year's cut off you wouldn't have been invited through the traditional way and there's no way to know how they work out interviews for the holistic way which is 1/3 of all interviews I believe.

What was last years cut off?
Original post by DejiS
What was last years cut off?

667 average
Hello
I am considering applying for Manchester medicine however, I definitely want to apply to their psych course
I'm not sure it's a good idea to apply to both medicine and psychology at the same uni as it would greatly diminish the chances of medicine offer

What do you guys think?
Original post by LordLucifer
Hello
I am considering applying for Manchester medicine however, I definitely want to apply to their psych course
I'm not sure it's a good idea to apply to both medicine and psychology at the same uni as it would greatly diminish the chances of medicine offer

What do you guys think?

I believe you will be fine. If they saw you applied to both, Manchester would just think psychology is your 5th option
Reply 74
Original post by DejiS

Although you wouldn't have met last year's threshold, you do meet the decile last year's threshold was in, as scores have dropped this year. Manchester say they will interview approx the top 1/3 UKCAT scores, and they were probably just a bit above 66th percentile last year. You are well above this, so should hopefully be OK this year
(edited 5 years ago)
667 average

how do you know this
Do they still do that thing where they consider 500-900 applicants that have demonstrated potential but have performed poor in one aspect of the application?
Reply 77
Original post by smirreh14
Do they still do that thing where they consider 500-900 applicants that have demonstrated potential but have performed poor in one aspect of the application?

Their website says:
"What if my score does not meet the threshold?
We recognise that everyone has a different set of skills. If your UKCAT does not fall within the top third of results nationally then we will include it as part of a holistic assessment using all the information available to us to arrive at a decision (for example, GCSE grades, A-level profile, additional qualifications, NAI form etc). We expect to invite 500-600 applicants to interview on this selection route."
Original post by Chibuchi
how do you know this

I think it's from an official FOI but hopefully @meddad or @GANFYD will be able to confirm the exact source of the Manchester UKCAT cut off.
I think it's from an official FOI but hopefully @meddad or @GANFYD will be able to confirm the exact source of the Manchester UKCAT cut off.

https://www.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/medicine/study/undergraduate/apply/data/ previous ukcat thresholds

Latest

Trending

Trending