The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RiaP123
Thanks for the quick reply and sadly no I'm just a normal UK applicant :frown:

Take your stats to the which medical school megathread and someone more familiar with the undergraduate process can advise. Good luck!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by Antibiotics
Take your stats to the which medical school megathread and someone more familiar with the undergraduate process can advise. Good luck!

would the boundaries lower due to a steep drop in the UKCAT avgs this year...?
Original post by RiaP123
would the boundaries lower due to a steep drop in the UKCAT avgs this year...?

In my personal opinion - there were around 3000 more test takers this year. That is more applicants than some unis even receive in totality. Each of those 3000 have four choices. In each decile, (ie I’m at 97%), there are more people (instead of 720 people above me like last year there will be 810. If you are in the top 60% instead of 9600 above you there is 10800). That’s enough to make or break an application.

BUT some medical schools have more places this year which may off set that, and you’re right, the fact that deciles are lower does come into play. But I think only if the extra places offset the deciles otherwise it could stay the same or I think in cases like Warwick GEM there’s potential for it to rise.

So that’s a very convoluted way of saying it could go either way. There’s also more medical schools this year, but unfortunately they are all UGs which is also why I think for GEM courses it might rise.
Reply 43
In my personal opinion - there were around 3000 more test takers this year. That is more applicants than some unis even receive in totality. Each of those 3000 have four choices. In each decile, (ie I’m at 97%), there are more people (instead of 720 people above me like last year there will be 810. If you are in the top 60% instead of 9600 above you there is 10800). That’s enough to make or break an application.

BUT some medical schools have more places this year which may off set that, and you’re right, the fact that deciles are lower does come into play. But I think only if the extra places offset the deciles otherwise it could stay the same or I think in cases like Warwick GEM there’s potential for it to rise.

So that’s a very convoluted way of saying it could go either way. There’s also more medical schools this year, but unfortunately they are all UGs which is also why I think for GEM courses it might rise.

oh god that sucks. I seriously hope they go down :/ thanks for the help tho :smile:
Original post by RiaP123
oh god that sucks. I seriously hope they go down :/ thanks for the help tho :smile:

I mean it’s obviously not exact and that’s just my prediction! Im just a lowly TSR user with little to no insight on UKCAT trends and armed with pure speculation. I’m sure you’ll be fine, good luck.
Hey guys.
Applying to glasgow with these stats:
A*A*A* predicted grades maths , chem and bio
4A* 5A at GCSE
652.5 Band 2 STJ for ukcat
total score is 2610 so just made the 7th decile.

Personal statement seems ok, got work experience volunteering live surgery extra curricular books lectures etc on it and well explained about what I learned.
What are my chances for getting an interview,Im guessing quite poor due to my shameful ukcat score?
Original post by aslanorahmani
Hey guys.
Applying to glasgow with these stats:
A*A*A* predicted grades maths , chem and bio
4A* 5A at GCSE
652.5 Band 2 STJ for ukcat
total score is 2610 so just made the 7th decile.

Personal statement seems ok, got work experience volunteering live surgery extra curricular books lectures etc on it and well explained about what I learned.
What are my chances for getting an interview,Im guessing quite poor due to my shameful ukcat score?

Its not shameful bud don’t be hard on yourself. Frankly, rather low chances but I wouldn’t say impossible, if you really want to go then I’d risk it, but make sure you’ve got some safe back ups
Hi
I don't know any thing here any one can help me ... this chat wiht someone? ... my english not very good because I am from syria and i have a dream to complete study ... please help me
Reply 49
Hi,
please help,don’t know whether to apply or not,
an EU applicant ,predicted IB39,Bio 7HL,Chemie 6 HL
UKCAT 2580(580,700,710,590)—-avg. 645, SJ Band 3.
Is here any realistic chance for me or am I just wasting a valuable place.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 50
International student of India
Ukcat 2760 sjt band 1

igcse - 7 a stars 1 a

ib predicted - 43

Which universities should i apply to? please reply asap as the deadline is very near.
Original post by sammu01
International student of India
Ukcat 2760 sjt band 1

igcse - 7 a stars 1 a

ib predicted - 43

Which universities should i apply to? please reply asap as the deadline is very near.

I would avoid GCSE heavy universities since you only have 8 subjects (although your marks are very good).
Reply 52
Original post by arigziegler
I would avoid GCSE heavy universities since you only have 8 subjects (although your marks are very good).

Thanks
Would Glasgow be a good option? Also how do they assess the personal statement
Original post by sammu01
Thanks
Would Glasgow be a good option? Also how do they assess the personal statement

Most unis don't score the PS at all anymore.
Not sure about Glasgow, if you were a home student you'd be fine but idk how they assess internationals.
I've applied with:
UKCAT: 2740 band 2
A levels:A* A* A
Applying from England. What would my chances of getting an interview like if anyone knows?
Original post by Backyakken
I've applied with:
UKCAT: 2740 band 2
A levels:A* A* A
Applying from England. What would my chances of getting an interview like if anyone knows?

Quite reasonable
anyone know whether graduates have to meet the gcse/a level requirements too or is it just a 2:1 or above?
Original post by prospectmedic123
anyone know whether graduates have to meet the gcse/a level requirements too or is it just a 2:1 or above?

I think you need to meet GCSE but not A level? @Antibiotics might be more knowledgeable
Original post by arigziegler
I think you need to meet GCSE but not A level? @Antibiotics might be more knowledgeable

They look at neither unless your degree was over 7 years ago or in a non science degree, in which case you must satisfy chem and bio a level criteria :smile:
They look at neither unless your degree was over 7 years ago or in a non science degree, in which case you must satisfy chem and bio a level criteria :smile:

Are you sure about this? Sorry just want assurance haha!

Latest

Trending

Trending