The Student Room Group

Did anyone appear in physics IGCSE november 2018?

Did anyone just give the extended physics igcse paper 42? Everyone in my hall thought it was VERY hard and I feel like I may lose some 25 marks. What did all of you think? Plus if I do a REALLY good ATP and MCQ paper, can I still get an A? PLEASEEE HELPPP.
KUFYJDYJYDHCJHFGJDJGD
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by _daya_
Did anyone just give the extended physics igcse paper 42? Everyone in my hall thought it was VERY hard and I feel like I may lose some 25 marks. What did all of you think? Plus if I do a REALLY good ATP and MCQ paper, can I still get an A? PLEASEEE HELPPP.
KUFYJDYJYDHCJHFGJDJGD
What is the weighting of this component and what is the weighting of ATP and MCQ.

I am not familiar with this course particularly but it may still be possible for you to get an A.
Reply 2
Original post by 04MR17
What is the weighting of this component and what is the weighting of ATP and MCQ.

I am not familiar with this course particularly but it may still be possible for you to get an A.

Weighing for theory is 50%. Mcq is 30% and ATP is 20%. So is there hope? :s-smilie:
Reply 3
I have the grade thresholds and the minimum score (out of 80) that you need on paper 42 to be able to achieve a grade A overall is 50. So if you got less than 50 it will be impossible to get an A no matter what you get on the other two papers. B is 39 and C is 29.

The overall score needed for an A is 131
Reply 4
Original post by robb0216
I have the grade thresholds and the minimum score (out of 80) that you need on paper 42 to be able to achieve a grade A overall is 50. So if you got less than 50 it will be impossible to get an A no matter what you get on the other two papers. B is 39 and C is 29.

The overall score needed for an A is 131

dude thats impossible. The paper JUST happened. The examiners havnt even gotten the papers back yet, where did thresholds come from? Hahahah. They change every year. U must have last years or summat. And thats not even it; say I get less than 50 in theory. But if my other two components is an A, I can still get an A.

Lol u can't have the grade thresholds.
Reply 5
Actually you're right, the head of examinations at the school I just took the exam at sent me these thresholds when I asked about marks and grades but I just realised it was for June 2018. However, there doesn't seem too be much variation in most sittings.

That being said, for June 2018 exams if you got below 50 marks for the extended theory (42) it wouldn't have mattered how well you did on the other two exams (even if it took you above the overall combined total required for an A) you wouldn't be able to get an A... It is called "minimum raw mark required for grade".

Hopefully because of how difficult this exam was that number is a lot lower.
Reply 6
Actually you're right, the head of examinations at the school I just took the exam at sent me these thresholds when I asked about marks and grades but I just realised it was for June 2018. However, there doesn't seem too be much variation in most sittings.

That being said, for June 2018 exams if you got below 50 marks for the extended theory (42) it wouldn't have mattered how well you did on the other two exams (even if it took you above the overall combined total required for an A) you wouldn't be able to get an A... It is called "minimum raw mark required for grade".

Hopefully because of how difficult this exam was that number is a lot lower.

Ugh I hope so. But I am quite hopeful. In june 2017, overall marks needed for an A * were 147 out of 200. So hopefully, it will be low. By the way, how did the students in your school feel about the exam? Did they too find it difficult? What are ur predictions about the curve?
Reply 7
Original post by _daya_
Ugh I hope so. But I am quite hopeful. In june 2017, overall marks needed for an A * were 147 out of 200. So hopefully, it will be low. By the way, how did the students in your school feel about the exam? Did they too find it difficult? What are ur predictions about the curve?

Sorry I'm actually a mature student and I took this exam by myself! I need the grade (A-C) for a job.

I took paper 41 yesterday, theory (extended) and it was easily the most difficult of all the past papers I have tried. I have only been revising for about 4 weeks whilst working a full-time nightshift job but I was actually edging towards a comfortable B grade going off previous exams, however I actually think I was closer to a low C. There were parts of the paper that I literally hadn't seen in any of the (admittedly limited) revision I've done.
Reply 8
Original post by _daya_

Sorry I'm actually a mature student and I took this exam by myself! I need the grade (A-C) for a job.

I took paper 41 yesterday, theory (extended) and it was easily the most difficult of all the past papers I have tried. I have only been revising for about 4 weeks whilst working a full-time nightshift job but I was actually edging towards a comfortable B grade going off previous exams, however I actually think I was closer to a low C. There were parts of the paper that I literally hadn't seen in any of the (admittedly limited) revision I've done.

Hey guys, don't worry about it. I'm sitting for my paper in M/J 2019 and as long as write you down your formulas, and write your answers in a concise manner, you should be alright. Try your best for Paper 6! I'm sure that if it was really hard, the grade boundaries will go down. Good luck guys, let me know if you need anything. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest