The Student Room Group

UWC 2018 Entry

Hi guys! I'm hoping to apply to United World College through the GB committee when applications open in August (I'm fifteen and about to finish Year Ten) and when I saw old discussions about UWC from a few years ago on here, I decided to join TSR to see if anyone here is thinking of applying this year and wanting to discuss it! Any advice from previous UWC candidates/students would also be very welcome!

Scroll to see replies

I'm so glad that someone's made a 2018 entry forum, I was about to do it myself! I'm 16 and re-applying from last year through the GB committee. The application this year opens on the 1st of August, which is a little later than last year. What activities do you do? I volunteer at an Oxfam shop, am a member of an Explorer's troop, have participated in a MUN and am a member of school council and am my school's Green prefect next year and am hoping to start an environmental awareness club. I also do CCF (army cadets) but am transferring to Navy cadets in September as I dislike guns and prefer water over land!
Reply 2
Wow that's a lot of activities! I've always wanted to make the world a better place and I was interested in UWC when my dad first showed me the website about a year ago (he was thinking of applying when he was 16.) But in Welsh Bacc at the start of our Global Citizenship Challenge a few months ago they showed us a video about global citizenship about how you can't just think about doing good things, you have to actually take action, and it inspired me to do more and that's when I first really got into the idea of UWC. After that, I spoke with the local Youth Volunteer Adviser but most places won't take on under 16s because of insurance. Even so, I'm getting an interview at the RSPB reserve near me soon! My school doesn't really offer many clubs, so I don't really do muc but I'm thinking of joining the army cadets, or scouts. I am going to Malawi next Saturday through Outlook Expeditions, where we'll be doing a trek, a community project, and a safari to name a few things. I'm so excited and I think the experience will teach me a lot.

To be honest, I don't have much hope of getting in this year because I haven't really done much, but I'm applying anyway because I think it'll help me so I can apply again next year and hopefully get in!

Did you get to the Assessment Day stage last year? If so what was it like?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by DelythWM
Wow that's a lot of activities! I've always wanted to make the world a better place and I was interested in UWC when my dad first showed me the website about a year ago (he was thinking of applying when he was 16.) But in Welsh Bacc at the start of our Global Citizenship Challenge a few months ago they showed us a video about global citizenship about how you can't just think about doing good things, you have to actually take action, and it inspired me to do more and that's when I first really got into the idea of UWC. After that, I spoke with the local Youth Volunteer Adviser but most places won't take on under 16s because of insurance. Even so, I'm getting an interview at the RSPB reserve near me soon! My school doesn't really offer many clubs, so I don't really do muc but I'm thinking of joining the army cadets, or scouts. I am going to Malawi next Saturday through Outlook Expeditions, where we'll be doing a trek, a community project, and a safari to name a few things. I'm so excited and I think the experience will teach me a lot.

To be honest, I don't have much hope of getting in this year because I haven't really done much, but I'm applying anyway because I think it'll help me so I can apply again next year and hopefully get in!

Did you get to the Assessment Day stage last year? If so what was it like?

Sadly, I didn't make it to assessment day but I did a lot of research, so I have an idea of what it's supposed to be like. In GB you stay the night at Atlantic College, with the first day being discussions and games to get to know each other and the next day is more formal interviews (please correct me if you know otherwise).
I want to make the world a better place, i'm just no sure how. I'd like to take the more environmental route, with conservation and veterinary work or educate people on these issues, maybe as a teacher. I've always wanted to do something international, but I never really get the chance,although I am going to Iceland for a geography trip in Ocotber, which is exciting so I'm hoping this won't hinder my application, as UWC would be amazing for the international aspect. (I hope you have a good time on your trip btw!)
Reply 4
The assessment day sounds cool! As far as I know, they understand that everyone has different opportunities so I don't think it will hinder your application.
Okay the GB application is supposed to be out today, has anyone seen any sign of it? I'm using the account I made last year so I'm not sure if that will affect it, although it has registered its for 2018 application...
Original post by TheMonsterinMe
Okay the GB application is supposed to be out today, has anyone seen any sign of it? I'm using the account I made last year so I'm not sure if that will affect it, although it has registered its for 2018 application...

Yeah it says on the website, the applications will open in August. I clicked a link on the AC website and it asked me to sign up and enter my information, and an application for your national committee should appear, but nothing came up :frown:
I wonder if it's glitched maybe? It's happened in the past according to older forums I've looked at. It definitely says the application opens today on the website.
Original post by DelythWM
Hi guys! I'm hoping to apply to United World College through the GB committee when applications open in August (I'm fifteen and about to finish Year Ten) and when I saw old discussions about UWC from a few years ago on here, I decided to join TSR to see if anyone here is thinking of applying this year and wanting to discuss it! Any advice from previous UWC candidates/students would also be very welcome!

Heya! I'm also applying now through GB... currently working on the application form! I'd be happy to discuss! I live abroad and go to school in Tblisi Georgia so i am doing the IB now... my school there is very small and doesnt offer much extracurricular and there are little to no volunteering oppurtunities but i make do with what we have ther :smile:. Im a grade 8 piano distinction, i volunteer at a local dog shelter and i tutor primary school children in math and english. I also take part in county creative writing competitions and enjoy hiking, having completed 256km of a pilgrimage in france with my family. What i really like about UWC is the huge amount of oppurtunities one gets that would shape me into someone with proper ideas that can help change something. Im especially keen on the nature conservation and animal protection side of it... Working with children is something i like too though... UWC looks so cool because you learn so much from the different people there!!!!
I'm not sure if ill get in because a lot of my activity are creativity based... we don't really get a lot of community service things or sports in tbilisi... does anyone know how much of their decision ways on grades?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Joseph Knight
Yeah it says on the website, the applications will open in August. I clicked a link on the AC website and it asked me to sign up and enter my information, and an application for your national committee should appear, but nothing came up :frown:

If you go to the UWCGB website on the home page there is a link saying "2018 applications now open" click that and it will take you directly to the forms
Grades are less important with UWC GB application than other committees, but they need to be strong to show you can keep up with IB (if your already doing it this shows you can cope!). Also don't count yourself out because you're more creative, several UWCs have major focuses in arts, like Pearson and Atlantic
Grades are less important with UWC GB application than other committees, but they need to be strong to show you can keep up with IB (if your already doing it this shows you can cope!). Also don't count yourself out because you're more creative, several UWCs have major focuses in arts, like Pearson and Atlantic

Oh thats good then... do you know what the grade average should be? I've been looking for an idea but cant find any information on grades...
I think it's supposed to be at least above c's, but obviously the odd one is acceptable (I'm guessing). It's good if you have high grades but doesn't give you an advantage, it just shows you can cope with the demands of the IB. For example, I will be using my GCSE results (when I get them) and hopefully those and my predicted grades will show I can cope.
I think it's supposed to be at least above c's, but obviously the odd one is acceptable (I'm guessing). It's good if you have high grades but doesn't give you an advantage, it just shows you can cope with the demands of the IB. For example, I will be using my GCSE results (when I get them) and hopefully those and my predicted grades will show I can cope.

Okay, i'm already in IB program so i think i have an idea of what the equivalent grades are... good luck with your GCSE results :smile:
Thank you! You say you're already in the IB programme, do you mean IB diploma or pre-IB? also how is everybody finding the questions on the application?
Thank you! You say you're already in the IB programme, do you mean IB diploma or pre-IB? also how is everybody finding the questions on the application?

Im in pre-IB: going into MYP 5. the questions seem alright... am having a bit of trouble with the perspective one though.. i cant choose what to choose. By experience do they mean something you signed up for or something that happened by chance? What question are you doing for the 400 words?
I always took it to mean something which happened to you by chance but life changing experiences still happen on things you sign up to do. I'm stuck on what to choose too. I'm thinking of doing either the one skill or hundred years question. I'd either go and teach my younger self confidence or tell people to continue with the research projects for sustainable energy, which were scrapped after the war. My friend said I should do that one, as it's more in line with UWC values but I can talk about the confidence one so much more easily! How about you?
I always took it to mean something which happened to you by chance but life changing experiences still happen on things you sign up to do. I'm stuck on what to choose too. I'm thinking of doing either the one skill or hundred years question. I'd either go and teach my younger self confidence or tell people to continue with the research projects for sustainable energy, which were scrapped after the war. My friend said I should do that one, as it's more in line with UWC values but I can talk about the confidence one so much more easily! How about you?

I think you should do what youre passionate about, which seems like the self confidence one but maybe instead of teaching it to your younger self you could teach it to other children or young adults and connect it the why with your younger self, which would show not only self awareness but also looking out for others and learning from experiences. Plus its something youre passionate about so thats always better.
I'm also doing the skill question but ill be teaching refugees in either england or germany or (russia) the language of the country because i speak these languages fluently and it helps to know the language of your host country to integrate
Thanks for the advice, your one sounds really cool! My grandmother is a Bangladeshi immigrant and she struggles with English and it has huge impact on her daily life. If someone had taught it to her and my grandfather properly when they arrived their lives would have been so much easier. Like nobody helped them; they spoke basically only Bengali and so did my dad, who went to his first day of school speaking no English and had to teach himself as he had no help...
Thanks for the advice, your one sounds really cool! My grandmother is a Bangladeshi immigrant and she struggles with English and it has huge impact on her daily life. If someone had taught it to her and my grandfather properly when they arrived their lives would have been so much easier. Like nobody helped them; they spoke basically only Bengali and so did my dad, who went to his first day of school speaking no English and had to teach himself as he had no help...

Aw im so sorry for them! That's terrible! I cameacross the idea since i learned those three languages since childhood because i move around so much, and it'd be good to put them into use.. I love your idea for the answer to the 100 years question; I didnt know that the government even had those plans in the first place! Do you know if there's an optimaltime to submit applications? Like when theyare most likely to succeed?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending