The Student Room Group
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford

University of Bradford - Foundation in Clinical Sciences 2019/20 official thread

Hello all :hello:

Since the Foundation in Clinical Sciences / Medicine (B991) is one of our most popular courses, we thought it best to create a thread where students past, present and future can chat and ask questions.

The course provides varied study options to students such as Clinical Sciences BSc, Pharmacy MPharm, Biomedical Science BSc, Physiotherapy BSc, Forensic Sciences BSc and last but not least Medicine MBChB at Leeds.

Feel free to post any questions about the course and we will do our best to help!

Joe

Scroll to see replies

GreetingsI am thinking of applying for clinical sciences as a way of getting through the transfer procedure to medicine into Leeds due to me having a combination of 2 A Levels and One BTEC which would immediately disqualify me from most regular routes into medicineCurrently predicted a BB in chemistry and Bio and a D in BTEC IT lvl 3 IT andachieved 3 Bs(Chmesitry,Physics,IT,) 3 As (Biology, Humanaties and History) and 2 levels 5s (Maths and English language) and 1 level 4 (English literature in my GCSEsWhat are the requirements to able to be considered for Leeds transfer scheme?, and do you get two attempts to transfer over? (One in year 0 and one in year 1)
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford
Original post by Mask DeMasque
GreetingsI am thinking of applying for clinical sciences as a way of getting through the transfer procedure to medicine into Leeds due to me having a combination of 2 A Levels and One BTEC which would immediately disqualify me from most regular routes into medicineCurrently predicted a BB in chemistry and Bio and a D in BTEC IT lvl 3 IT andachieved 3 Bs(Chmesitry,Physics,IT,) 3 As (Biology, Humanaties and History) and 2 levels 5s (Maths and English language) and 1 level 4 (English literature in my GCSEsWhat are the requirements to able to be considered for Leeds transfer scheme?, and do you get two attempts to transfer over? (One in year 0 and one in year 1)

Hello :smile:

Well we can consider applications from students who have combinations of qualifications. For example, a student who is submitting an application with A-levels and a BTEC qualification can be considered, providing they meet the UCAS points requirement. Is the BTEC level 3 a National Extended Certificate? If so, then we could consider an application based on those grades.

Students are required to meet the GCSE requirements of grade C or 4 or above in English, Maths, Biology and Chemistry (Dual Science is accepted).

Please note, only students who meet the widening participation criteria (found on the course page above) are eligible for the transfer to the MBChB at Leeds. The competitive selection process to be selected for the transfer is based on high academic performance, an application, interview and the BMAT.

Up to 20 people can transfer at the end of the FY into year 1 of the MBChB and a further 20 can transfer at the end of year 1 of the Clinical Sciences BSc into year 2 of the MBChB - so there's a total of up to 40 spaces each year.

Thanks
Joe
(edited 5 years ago)
Will academic performance be judged based on the performance at university? I heard you require a upwards of 70% in the chemistry and biology module

Also how much of a impact will be BMAT on the application process and does the university offer any support on preparing for interviews?.

Would does the application entail?, does it include something similar to a personal statement?

Is there any figure of how many students have attempted to go through this route?
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions and yes the IT course is indeed a Level 3 Extended Certificate
Will academic performance be judged based on the performance at university? I heard you require a upwards of 70% in the chemistry and biology module

Also how much of a impact will be BMAT on the application process and does the university offer any support on preparing for interviews?.

Would does the application entail?, does it include something similar to a personal statement?

Is there any figure of how many students have attempted to go through this route?
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions and yes the IT course is indeed a Level 3 Extended Certificate

Hi :smile:

Your performance during the foundation year will supersede your level 2 and 3 qualifications so the admissions team at the University of Leeds will only consider your performance during the foundation year.

Students will need to achieve 70% overall, 70 % in Chemistry and pass all modules at first attempt. They will need to complete the BMAT which will be added your your academic performance (there is no pass mark as such) - students will be provided with specific learning material for the BMAT.
Students will make a new application (similar to that of a UCAS application) with a new personal statement, they will also require a reference from their University of Bradford personal tutor. Interview days for Leeds would usually take place in the July before the September start.

Applications for the Foundation Year are very competitive as is the transfer to Leeds - and by no means a guarantee should a student meet the academic criteria. Leeds are not obliged to use all 20 places if insufficient numbers of students reach the interview stage. There are 140 spaces on the Foundation in Clinical Sciences / Medicine - with the majority requesting the Route 3 transfer to Leeds.

I hope this helps!

Joe
Hi! I have been invited to the selection day for Foundation in Clinical Sciences/Medicine on the 8th December. I have a few questions about the day:

What happens on the selection day?
What is the dress code?
Will it be an MMI style interview?
For widening access, will I need to bring any paperwork? What types?
As the day lasts 12-5, will I need to bring snacks?
Is there a cloak room where we can leave any bags or coats?

Thank you so much, I'm looking forward to the interview! :wink:
Reply 6
Hello,

I have an interview but would also like to ask what the interviews are based around and what the focus will be? Is it more about medicine or clinical sciences.
Original post by amna.qkhan
Hi! I have been invited to the selection day for Foundation in Clinical Sciences/Medicine on the 8th December. I have a few questions about the day:

What happens on the selection day?
What is the dress code?
Will it be an MMI style interview?
For widening access, will I need to bring any paperwork? What types?
As the day lasts 12-5, will I need to bring snacks?
Is there a cloak room where we can leave any bags or coats?

Thank you so much, I'm looking forward to the interview! :wink:

Hello Amna :smile:

The Selection Day is pretty standard and they provide students the opportunity to meet staff and students, find out more about the course and for the staff to see if the applicant would benefit from the course.

What to expect on the day:

1. Registration
2. Welcome and course outline
3. All applicants do an assessed medically-related problem solving group activity followed by an individual interview.
4. Interviews will depend on the route you have chosen - i.e. route 2 will be slightly different to route 3 but might cover similar topics.
We would generally be looking for applicants to reflect on any relevant experiences within healthcare - such as work experience or volunteering whilst also demonstrating their communication skills and their insight into healthcare.
5. Opportunity to talk to Student Ambassadors and tour the facilities.

There is no specific dress code but we would usually expect students to dress smart or smart/casual. We would expect students to prepare for MMI - as that is the interview style for Medical School admissions.
We wouldn't usually require students to provide their widening participation evidence until after the selection day.
We would usually expect the selection day to finish around 4-5pm.

There isn't a specific cloakroom but students will be able to keep their possessions with them.

I hope this helps!

Joe
Original post by Vvcfgjj
Hello,

I have an interview but would also like to ask what the interviews are based around and what the focus will be? Is it more about medicine or clinical sciences.

Details of the selection day can be found here:

1. Registration
2. Welcome and course outline
3. All applicants do an assessed medically-related problem solving group activity followed by an individual interview.
4. Interviews will depend on the route you have chosen - i.e. route 2 will be slightly different to route 3 but might cover similar topics.
We would generally be looking for applicants to reflect on any relevant experiences within healthcare - such as work experience or volunteering whilst also demonstrating their communication skills and their insight into healthcare.
5. Opportunity to talk to Student Ambassadors and tour the facilities

Thanks
Joe
Hello!

I applied for this course and havent recieved anything yet. Obvs people are getting interviews but i haven't recieved anything. Does that mean I'm unsucessful? will there be another batch of interviews released? when will they be released?

Thank you!
Original post by AgentProton007
Hello!

I applied for this course and havent recieved anything yet. Obvs people are getting interviews but i haven't recieved anything. Does that mean I'm unsucessful? will there be another batch of interviews released? when will they be released?

Thank you!

As I'm sure you can imagine, we receive a lot of applications for this course so it can take a while to respond to students but interviews will take place throughout the year. So I wouldn't worry too much just yet.

If you drop me a DM with your details - UCAS personal ID, name, date of application etc I can check on the status of your application.

Cheers

Joe
Reply 11
Hello everyone,

I had an interview last wednesday 40 min group assesment and about 10 min interview . However i haven t received any letters from Bradford university after it. Is it ok? And did anyone get an offer from Bradford?
Thank you!
Original post by Jegor30
Hello everyone,

I had an interview last wednesday 40 min group assesment and about 10 min interview . However i haven t received any letters from Bradford university after it. Is it ok? And did anyone get an offer from Bradford?
Thank you!

Applications do take a little while to process and applicants will hear the outcomes of the interviews/applications in due course.

If you DM me your details I can check the status of your application for you.

Cheers
Joe
Reply 13
Jegor Oleinikov 19000942
Reply 14
Original post by Jegor30
Jegor Oleinikov 19000942

Private message the uni of bradford account, they wont share your info on a public thread
Original post by Jegor30
Jegor Oleinikov 19000942

Heyo! You might want to delete this comment. Because it contains your ucas ID
Hi, I’ve emailed your admissions team twice about the declaration of household income form twice but I’ve yet to receive a reply. Is there anyway for you to send it to me?
Original post by indy1999
Hi, I’ve emailed your admissions team twice about the declaration of household income form twice but I’ve yet to receive a reply. Is there anyway for you to send it to me?

I have sent you a message.

Joe
Hi there

My application got sent from my college centre today, I would like to ask that will any selection day dates fall between the 24th of December to the 15th of January as I am away on holiday at that time in case I am shortlisted

Also is there anything I should bring along to the interview that would help my performance and consideration in that day?
Hello

Hi there

My application got sent from my college centre today, I would like to ask that will any selection day dates fall between the 24th of December to the 15th of January as I am away on holiday at that time in case I am shortlisted

Also is there anything I should bring along to the interview that would help my performance and consideration in that day?

The University of Bradford is closed from 21st December to 2nd January - the next available selection days are likely to take place in February. However, if your application is successful and you are invited to the next stage of the application process, you will be invited to a date and you will have the chance to rearrange to an alternative date if you are unable to attend.

You will be informed of what you need to bring should you be invited for the next stage.

Thanks
Joe

Latest

Trending

Trending