The Student Room Group

How can i get 9s in maths, physics and chemistry

In year 11 right now, does anyone who got 9s in any of these subjects have tips and any resources to use and stuff? Like freesciencelessons, websites, etc? thanks
Original post by Randomusername5
In year 11 right now, does anyone who got 9s in any of these subjects have tips and any resources to use and stuff? Like freesciencelessons, websites, etc? thanks

Also I do aqa for science, edexcel for maths. and any tips for aqa further maths would be great
Hi, I got 9s in Biology, Chemistry, Physics (AQA) and Maths (Edexcel) - I didn’t take further maths though, sorry.

For science I basically worked from the CGP revision guides - made flashcards on everything and tested myself loads. It’s important to make sure you really understand a topic, though - it’s much better than rote learning things. I found free science lessons really good for quick, easy explanations of topics - and the required practical videos are really good to recap your knowledge.

Make sure you are familiar with all the required practicals in detail - I wrote out the method for each one, identifying the variables and common errors. There’s almost always a six-mark ‘write a method’ / ‘design an investigation’ question.

Practice exam questions are really useful - mark them yourself to familiarise yourself with the mark schemes.

My school used to give us revision checklists from Kerboodle - personally I found them really wordy and confusing, so I would always check the exam specification instead to make sure I’d covered everything in a topic.

For maths I think the best thing to do is practice papers, where you can identify your weak topics and work on them. Maths Genie has some great revision questions for specific topics.

I hope this was useful - good luck for all your exams and don’t overwork yourself :smile: It’s important to take breaks regularly, otherwise I found I was much less productive.

Simple; just do a backflip
Thank you soo much i really appreciate your advice!! I also find making flashcards quite helpful. When making them, do u just use the cgp revision guide or do u use other things too like the specification? (as in the info that u put onto the flashcards)
Thank you soo much i really appreciate your advice!! I also find making flashcards quite helpful. When making them, do u just use the cgp revision guide or do u use other things too like the specification? (as in the info that u put onto the flashcards)

Original post by ADotHam2002
Hi, I got 9s in Biology, Chemistry, Physics (AQA) and Maths (Edexcel) - I didn’t take further maths though, sorry.

For science I basically worked from the CGP revision guides - made flashcards on everything and tested myself loads. It’s important to make sure you really understand a topic, though - it’s much better than rote learning things. I found free science lessons really good for quick, easy explanations of topics - and the required practical videos are really good to recap your knowledge.

Make sure you are familiar with all the required practicals in detail - I wrote out the method for each one, identifying the variables and common errors. There’s almost always a six-mark ‘write a method’ / ‘design an investigation’ question.

Practice exam questions are really useful - mark them yourself to familiarise yourself with the mark schemes.

My school used to give us revision checklists from Kerboodle - personally I found them really wordy and confusing, so I would always check the exam specification instead to make sure I’d covered everything in a topic.

For maths I think the best thing to do is practice papers, where you can identify your weak topics and work on them. Maths Genie has some great revision questions for specific topics.

I hope this was useful - good luck for all your exams and don’t overwork yourself :smile: It’s important to take breaks regularly, otherwise I found I was much less productive.

because I sometimes find it hard to make flashcards out of different things that word things differently

You’re welcome! 😊

I generally used the specification as guidance for what topics to make revision cards on, and used the cgp guides for the actual content of the cards. Sometimes I’d use the spec for the content if I thought it was more concise than the revision guide (eg for some definitions). Be careful with the spec though because most of the time it does not have the full detail of what you need to know.

I also made notes from free science lessons videos, and turned them into cards too. And I used the notes from my lessons in school to make into cards - it’s good to make use of what you already have :smile:

Let me know if you want any more advice- I’m happy to help :smile:
because I sometimes find it hard to make flashcards out of different things that word things differently

If you find it hard to make flashcards when things are worded differently in different resources, I’d recommend using several resources to make your own notes (such as a mind map) on a topic first. E.g. make notes in your own words from the revision guide and specification, then add to these using your class notes and free science lessons videos, etc. Then you can make cards from your notes :smile:
You’re welcome! 😊

I generally used the specification as guidance for what topics to make revision cards on, and used the cgp guides for the actual content of the cards. Sometimes I’d use the spec for the content if I thought it was more concise than the revision guide (eg for some definitions). Be careful with the spec though because most of the time it does not have the full detail of what you need to know.

I also made notes from free science lessons videos, and turned them into cards too. And I used the notes from my lessons in school to make into cards - it’s good to make use of what you already have :smile:

Let me know if you want any more advice- I’m happy to help :smile:

So did you not use the textbook? is it ok if i just use the cgp book for flashcards as some people say it's too brief. But I'm planning to learn all the content with flashcards then do lots of past paper questions and maybe make flashcards out of some of the past paper questions
So did you not use the textbook? is it ok if i just use the cgp book for flashcards as some people say it's too brief. But I'm planning to learn all the content with flashcards then do lots of past paper questions and maybe make flashcards out of some of the past paper questions

Personally I found that the cgp book worked fine for me - but I can’t speak for everyone. The only copy of a textbook I had access to was on Kerboodle online, but for me it was too wordy, and included things that weren’t on the specification.

Past paper questions are a really good idea too :smile:

Also when u made flashcards from class notes and free science lessons did u not use the cgp book
Also when u made flashcards from class notes and free science lessons did u not use the cgp book

I generally used the cgp guide to make notes initially, then added to these notes with class notes / free science lessons / etc. if I felt I needed to. Then I made cards out of my notes :smile:
I generally used the cgp guide to make notes initially, then added to these notes with class notes / free science lessons / etc. if I felt I needed to. Then I made cards out of my notes :smile:

Was this quite early on in the year? as i'm not sure i'll be able to make notes on everything as well as flashcards...coz i work a bit slowly
Was this quite early on in the year? as i'm not sure i'll be able to make notes on everything as well as flashcards...coz i work a bit slowly

I started my revision quite early on in the year, but I basically just did small amounts all the way through the year. Don’t feel as though you need to make masses of revision resources - if I understood a topic well, I would skip making cards on it. Try to prioritise your weakest areas.

Likewise, don’t make notes just for the sake of it - do what works for you, especially if you find notes time consuming. At the moment I only make notes if I’m having difficulty understanding a topic. For me, understanding things, rather than just memorising them, was the key thing.

I would recommend revising quite well for mocks, as this means that you will have already made resources for some of the topics, so you’ll have less to do later in the year.

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest