The Student Room Group

☆ Cambridge MML Applicants - 2019 ☆

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vessel
Yay same combo! What have you been doing for wider reading? :smile:

The best combo :wink: which college have you applied for? & as for wider reading, mostly short stories here and there, I chose some written at a similar time to the ones I’m studying in class so I can link them etc, also a bit of poetry for French :smile: what about you?
Reply 41
Original post by vessel
Congratulations!!! I'm so nervous too ahaha

Honestly I have no idea but they probably don't expect a whole essay - I'll probably do like a sentence for an intro just so I know what I'm going to talk about and then I doubt I'll have time for a conclusion.

The English part is a bit cryptic, I think what you said is correct?

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/mmlaa_specification.pdf
This link is to a mml practice test.
Original post by val508
Have an interview at Trinity, French and Russian. So nervous!!!

Same college, same language combination here :redface: is yours on the 5th? How have you been preparing?
Hi, I've applied for French and Arabic at Christ's with an interview on 4th December...atm I'm just rereading the books on my PS and thinking about any questions they could ask me about them...
Any interviewees for Caius here? Just received my interview details today.
Reply 45
Original post by Quirky Object
Same college, same language combination here :redface: is yours on the 5th? How have you been preparing?

Yep, mine is on the 5th. Rereading books on my PS. Have a friend who is at Trinity, she told me not to worry too much about the written part. Her questions were mainly on her PS. You?
Original post by val508
Yep, mine is on the 5th. Rereading books on my PS. Have a friend who is at Trinity, she told me not to worry too much about the written part. Her questions were mainly on her PS. You?

Guess we might see each other then! That's good to hear, I'm definitely better at speaking than writing. I've been doing some of the specimen papers and making sure I know my PS well. I found out one of my interviewers (Dr Khalfa) wrote a book about someone quite closely related to an area I discussed on my PS sooo I'm trying to look over everything related to that area because I don't want to be caught out :s-smilie:
Reply 47
Guess we might see each other then! That's good to hear, I'm definitely better at speaking than writing. I've been doing some of the specimen papers and making sure I know my PS well. I found out one of my interviewers (Dr Khalfa) wrote a book about someone quite closely related to an area I discussed on my PS sooo I'm trying to look over everything related to that area because I don't want to be caught out :s-smilie:

Me too, I speak better than write. My first interview is Fr, then the test and then Russian. What about you? How have you been preparing for Rus? I put two short stories by Chekhov on my PS and watched two films. (The Rus. interviewer is interested in old films, I watched none).
Reply 48
Original post by val508

Mine is on the 5th also!
Reply 49
Original post by Pat0106
Mine is on the 5th also!

which college?
Reply 50
Original post by val508
which college?

Catz:smile:
Reply 51
Congrats! Which languages?
Reply 52
Original post by val508
Congrats! Which languages?

Spanish and ab initio Portuguese!
It's quite amazing to think we have just one week left! Although I'm apprehensive, it will also be nice to spend a short time in Cambridge :smile:
Original post by val508
Me too, I speak better than write. My first interview is Fr, then the test and then Russian. What about you? How have you been preparing for Rus? I put two short stories by Chekhov on my PS and watched two films. (The Rus. interviewer is interested in old films, I watched none).

My order is the same (fr, test, ru)! I put some Russian poetry on my PS which linked to some of the French poetry I'd read, and also wrote about some aspects of Russian (mostly 19th and 20th century) history and visual art that I found interesting. I hope I don't get asked about film; film analysis is the one aspect of the course that I actively dislike (I hate it at A-level and can't see myself liking it later) and I want to do as little as possible :redface:
Reply 54
My order is the same (fr, test, ru)! I put some Russian poetry on my PS which linked to some of the French poetry I'd read, and also wrote about some aspects of Russian (mostly 19th and 20th century) history and visual art that I found interesting. I hope I don't get asked about film; film analysis is the one aspect of the course that I actively dislike (I hate it at A-level and can't see myself liking it later) and I want to do as little as possible :redface:

I doubt it, since you haven't mentioned films on you PS they shouldn't ask...Fingers crossed!
I'm super anxious about discussing a poem/text during the interview! What kind of things would I need to mention? And for the ab. initio language, do I get a pre-reading?
Reply 56
Original post by Pamplemousse19
I'm super anxious about discussing a poem/text during the interview! What kind of things would I need to mention? And for the ab. initio language, do I get a pre-reading?

For ab intio language you might get a text or a poem in English.
Reply 57
Original post by Pamplemousse19

But usually your college should let you know in advance if you have to do any pre-reading.
Original post by val508
But usually your college should let you know in advance if you have to do any pre-reading.

Yes! I've been sent an email saying that I'll get pre-reading. Thank you for your reply - I'm glad I won't be getting a pre-reading in my ab. initio language!
Reply 59
Original post by val508
For ab initio language you might get a text or a poem in English.

I suppose you've already watched this, but it might still be intriguing. It's almost identical to my friend's interview experience. (ab initio)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=bUfxaLa1X2s

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending