The Student Room Group

cultural appropriation of a kimono?

I'm a white girl and my mom has just brought me an expensive kimono for Christmas (I found out via messages on Emails she showed me??) anyway I wondered if it was cultural appropriation and how far is can go with it because I don't want to offend people but I also don't want my mom to get angry at me for not appreciating jt. (it cost £110) what can I do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by K3nzy
I'm a white girl and my mom has just brought me an expensive kimono for Christmas (I found out via messages on Emails she showed me??) anyway I wondered if it was cultural appropriation and how far is can go with it because I don't want to offend people but I also don't want my mom to get angry at me for not appreciating jt. (it cost £110) what can I do?

Wear it. Cultural appropriation is absurd.
Do you have a picture of it? The further it strays from traditional style the more likely it is you can get away with it.
Unless when your mother purchased the kimono she either ripped it from the hands of a Japanese family and killed them or somehow stopped every Japanese person from wearing one then you will be fine, also unless you are planning to walk around going "herro me Japanese" with big false teeth you also should be fine. Cultural appropriation is nonsense and needs to be ignored.
Reply 4
Original post by AperfectBalance
Unless when your mother purchased the kimono she either ripped it from the hands of a Japanese family and killed them or somehow stopped every Japanese person from wearing one then you will be fine, also unless you are planning to walk around going "herro me Japanese" with big false teeth you also should be fine. Cultural appropriation is nonsense and needs to be ignored.

You... I like you.
As long as you're respectful, it should be fine. Apparently some Japanese people don't really mind "foreigners" wearing a kimono.
Original post by K3nzy
I wondered if it was cultural appropriation and how far is can go with it because I don't want to offend people

Take a look at any video of Japanese people walking about the streets of a major city. I'll link you to a random one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bURRfpU33CM

What do you notice? The vast majority (pretty well everyone, in fact) is wearing western-style clothing. Is that OK? Of course it is! If they can wear western clothes you can wear eastern clothes.

If anyone speaks to you of cultural appropriation just tell them what an idiot they are for considering such a thing to be an issue worthy of consideration.
Reply 7
Original post by sinfonietta
Do you have a picture of it? The further it strays from traditional style the more likely it is you can get away with it.

Here it is
Screenshot_20181206-154451.jpg
Reply 8
who cares?
Reply 9
It's fine if wearing it is all you're doing. You're appreciating the Japanese culture, not harming it.
Original post by K3nzy
Here it is

It's a beautiful kimono.
If you like it, wear it.

Don't be intimidated by the bullies and grumblers.
We live in a multicultural society where cultural appreciation, harmonious coexistence and the courteous exchange of ideas are crucial concepts.
Bullies, bigots and dogma fanatics reject all three concepts- along with the idea of a multicultural society.
Let them snarl and grumble to no avail.
it's fine! wear what you like, cultural appropriation is nothing to worry about.
Don’t be so ridiculous it’s a beautiful kimono wear it.
Reply 13
Original post by K3nzy

Depends on where are you planning to where it. Or is it perhaps just for photos? Are you going to post it on your ig? If so, and you have somewhat of a big following, I'd be careful - expect a backlash, there are too many people that like to ***** about everything.
You might get some backlash for it, but it's beautiful and it definitely doesn't deserve it! I say, just be you and enjoy yourself and don't worry what other people think!
Original post by K3nzy
Here it is

I like the look of this. Its not really a style I'd wear myself, but it's good to see people wearing something different & standing out from the crowd. I don't think there's any reason to worry about cultural appropriation- its not like you're wearing it to mock or be disrespectful of Japanese culture. I think a lot of the controversy around cultural appropriation is driven by a few very vocal people on social media, I've never heard anyone complaining about it in real life.
Whatever dude. Looks like a dressing gown to me.
Reply 17
Original post by Alesha1991
I like the look of this. Its not really a style I'd wear myself, but it's good to see people wearing something different & standing out from the crowd. I don't think there's any reason to worry about cultural appropriation- its not like you're wearing it to mock or be disrespectful of Japanese culture. I think a lot of the controversy around cultural appropriation is driven by a few very vocal people on social media, I've never heard anyone complaining about it in real life.

I was hoping to wear it to dinner parties or formal evenings so I think I'm ok
I dislike the notion of people from a culture being designated police of what is and isn’t acceptable as it assumes we’re all some monolithic block, however for what it’s worth I’m half Japanese and not bothered nor would I imagine most Japanese people would me. Personally I find kimonos a bit formal and impractical to wear but if you look nice go for it
Original post by K3nzy
I was hoping to wear it to dinner parties or formal evenings so I think I'm ok

I'm completely against the concept of cultural appropriation and I think it's a bunch of retarded leftie nonsense.

However.

Wearing a kimono to a dinner party or a formal is a bit gauche if you ask me. I'd say it's something of a social faux-pas if you're not Japanese or at least not well-versed with Japanese custom.

Really, if you're going to a dinner party, the thing to do is to respect the host and wear a cocktail dress or evening gown (depending on what kind of party it is) not make up your own dress code that's outside of your own norms. That's the point of a formal. It would be like going in a gentleman's morning suit. It's a kind of formal dress for *someone* at *some occassion* - just not for you, or for this occassion.

Quick Reply

Latest