The Student Room Group

ban on kosher and halal slaughter has come into effect in the Flanders region of Belg

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nstar12
I wouldn't say it's an attack on religion, but most certainly it is preventing Muslims and Jews from practicing their religion. They will have to buy their meat abroad, which in some extreme cases, could lead to severe food shortages.

I think this is one of the instances where the law of the country should not be prioritised over religion.

Unlike the ban on headscarves in France, I believe this goes a little too far. Animal rights protection is not the right justification for this. Shouldn't human rights (freely practicing religion) come first?

You’re wrong. Treatment of animals > religious feelings
Good. There are enough issues with the meat industry as it is without deliberately killing animals in an inhumane fashion for the sake of archaic ceremony.

Original post by nstar12
I wouldn't say it's an attack on religion, but most certainly it is preventing Muslims and Jews from practicing their religion.

What passage in the Torah/Quran indicates the animals need to be conscious and suffering for Kosher/Halal slaughter methods to be valid?
(edited 5 years ago)

While I understand their concerns, I don’t think it’s likely things will change.
These people only do things they think is right and won’t listen to others especially if it’s RSPCA which isn’t linked to their religion. It’s a really tough situation and requires walking on eggshells
Original post by Wōden
Only if the war itself is justified, and the vast majority in human history probably weren't just in any shape or form. Most wars are the result of a wealthy elite wanting to take the land and resources of another wealthy elite, and drafting in the poorest who will never even see much personal benefit from said land and resources to do the dirty work for them.

Killing animals for food on the other hand is just basic survival. Yeah I know, we can survive on vegetables just fine too, but meat is still the most consistent and reliable source of food we have, and for as long as that is the case it will remain a staple part of the human diet.

Slaughtering animals for food is one thing. There is no need to turn the act into an inhumane, ritual sacrifice just to sate the Bronze age superstitions of Jews and Muslims.

Breeding and raising animals for slaughter, and feeding them thousands of tonnes of fodder grown on land that could grow food for humans, is not ''basic survival''. Quite apart from being a morally bankrupt system, it's inefficient and wasteful. It's not even a staple - grains and rices and potatoes are staples. There's a reason that subsistence farmers barely get by on a diet of 90% rice. If producing meat was more efficient than producing vegetables, as you claim, then they'd be eating mostly meat. Instead, it's the richest regions of the world that eat the most meat. Meat is a luxury.
(edited 5 years ago)
If I remember right, there is a story in the Quran talking about someone throwing a dagger to the sky, and it falling and cutting the throats of all of the mammals, but not the fish.
It is said that the lobster has pain receptors? However the same snobs who ban ritual sacrifice would be dining on freshly boiled lobsters? Hypocrites, like all other politicians.
Original post by Dentist2024
It is said that the lobster has pain receptors? However the same snobs who ban ritual sacrifice would be dining on freshly boiled lobsters? Hypocrites, like all other politicians.

Then that would mean all meat eaters are hypocrites?
Original post by Jebedee
If I remember right, there is a story in the Quran talking about someone throwing a dagger to the sky, and it falling and cutting the throats of all of the mammals, but not the fish.

I know that the slitting of throats is prescribed, but I'm not aware of anything that could be construed as requiring the animal to be conscious or experiencing pain.
Couldn't care less, I just want my meat
Reply 30
Lol. Most people that are ‘for’ this ban are only lying me to themselves with the whole “UHmM... it’s InHumaNe..!!”. If you are a meat eater, you don’t care about what did and didn’t hurt the animal that you are eating. You don’t know how the animal was slaughtered, weather it’s from a supermarket or the butchers. The meat is the same.
Reply 31
Original post by That'sGreat
You’re wrong. Treatment of animals > religious feelings

People nowadays love the word “feelings”. It’s not about feelings, it’s literally about whether or not they can practice their religion.
Original post by Megxn0
People nowadays love the word “feelings”. It’s not about feelings, it’s literally about whether or not they can practice their religion.

Freedom of religion can only be used so far in an argument though,
Original post by Megxn0
it’s literally about whether or not they can practice their religion.

What passage in the Torah/Quran indicates the animals need to be conscious and suffering for Kosher/Halal slaughter methods to be valid?
Original post by Megxn0
Lol. Most people that are ‘for’ this ban are only lying me to themselves with the whole “UHmM... it’s InHumaNe..!!”. If you are a meat eater, you don’t care about what did and didn’t hurt the animal that you are eating. You don’t know how the animal was slaughtered, weather it’s from a supermarket or the butchers. The meat is the same.

Ok, I’m definitely not lying to myself it certainly does matter how an animal is kept, fed and killed before ending up on our plates.

Just because I care about those things doesn’t make me a hypocrite because I eat meat, it means I am respectful for the animals circumstances.
Original post by Megxn0

Pre stunned halal is a thing, also they have the choice to become vegetarians if they want to continue living in a country that doesn’t want the cruelty that is none pre stunned halal.
Original post by Professional G
Then that would mean all meat eaters are hypocrites?

Never heard a more stupid strawman before.. Jeez. The fact that people eat meat means they care more about their food than the senses of an animal. But they are going to impose a ban, which is clearly to push their anti-religious agenda, while not considering all the possible 'animal cruelties' then it really shows their true colours and reasoning.
Original post by Megxn0

@Professional G
Refer to this.. And just for context, I'm a meat eater.
Reply 38
I’ve never read either. If it isn’t necessary to not-stun the animal before slaughter then what makes everyone so adamant that all halal/kosher meat is non-stunned? Why is it banned? Wouldn’t make more sense to ban non-stunned meat, or ban meat all together if they are so worried about the pain animals go through? 🤔
Original post by Megxn0
I’ve never read either. If it isn’t necessary to not-stun the animal before slaughter then what makes everyone so adamant that all halal/kosher meat is non-stunned? Why is it banned? Wouldn’t make more sense to ban non-stunned meat, or ban meat all together if they are so worried about the pain animals go through? 🤔

It’s about 50/50 pre stunned in halal I think, which just goes to show that it shouldn’t be an issue to ban none stunned meat

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending