The Student Room Group

Hyperbolic functions

How can I show that the hyperbola x2a2y2b2=1\dfrac{x^2}{a^2}-\dfrac{y^2}{b^2}=1 can be represented in the form x=acoshu , y=bsinhu ?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by joyoustele
How can I show that the hyperbola x2a2+y2b2=1\dfrac{x^2}{a^2}+\dfrac{y^2}{b^2}=1 can be represented in the form x=acoshu , y=bsinhu ?

That's an ellipse.

You need x2a2y2b2=1\dfrac{x^2}{a^2}-\dfrac{y^2}{b^2}=1.

Probably just a typo but if not that could be your problem.
How can I show that the hyperbola x2a2+y2b2=1\dfrac{x^2}{a^2}+\dfrac{y^2}{b^2}=1 can be represented in the form x=acoshu , y=bsinhu ?

Substitute the x,y and show that the Cartesian eq. is satisfied for all uu. Do note the comment above, though.
Reply 3
Original post by BuryMathsTutor
That's an ellipse.

You need x2a2y2b2=1\dfrac{x^2}{a^2}-\dfrac{y^2}{b^2}=1.

Probably just a typo but if not that could be your problem.

Sorry, I typed the question in wrong.
Reply 4
Original post by RDKGames
Substitute the x,y and show that the Cartesian eq. is satisfied for all uu. Do note the comment above, though.

I dont understand what you mean by substitute the x,y ?
I dont understand what you mean by substitute the x,y ?

You have x=acoshux = a \cosh u and y=bsinhuy = b \sinh u ... so sub them in, and give a reason why the resulting equation holds for all uu.
Reply 6
You have x=acoshux = a \cosh u and y=bsinhuy = b \sinh u ... so sub them in, and give a reason why the resulting equation holds for all uu.

Oh, ops, I thought I had to prove the x values would be in the form x=acoshux = a \cosh u and y=bsinhuy = b \sinh u from the equation. I suppose thats how im supposed to do it.

Thanks again RDK
Oh, ops, I thought I had to prove the x values would be in the form x=acoshux = a \cosh u and y=bsinhuy = b \sinh u from the equation. I suppose thats how im supposed to do it.

Thanks again RDK

You can do that too, but (a) there are infinitely many ways in which you can parameterise this curve (*), and (b) it's much easier to just take the simple proposition like this and show that it holds in these cases.

(*) I.e. note that the parameterisation x=acosh(2u),y=bsinh(2u)x = a \cosh (2u), \quad y = b \sinh (2u) is valid as well. If u(,)u \in (-\infty, \infty) for your parameterisation, then it doesn't matter what you put in the argument in this case (as long as its surjective on (,)(-\infty, \infty)) and we don't need to adjust the domain. If we had, say, u[2,2]u \in [-2,2] for your parameterisation, then this parameterisation would hold if we define u[1,1]u \in [-1,1] instead and produce the exact same thing.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
You can do that too, but (a) there are infinitely many ways in which you can parameterise this curve (*), and (b) it's much easier to just take the simple proposition like this and show that it holds in these cases.

(*) I.e. note that the parameterisation x=acosh(2u),y=bsinh(2u)x = a \cosh (2u), \quad y = b \sinh (2u) is valid as well. If u(,)u \in (-\infty, \infty) for your parameterisation, then it doesn't matter what you put in the argument in this case (as long as its surjective on (,)(-\infty, \infty)) and we don't need to adjust the domain. If we had, say, u[2,2]u \in [-2,2] for your parameterisation, then this parameterisation would hold if we define u[1,1]u \in [-1,1] instead and produce the exact same thing.

thanks so much.

Quick Reply

Latest