The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lionheartat20
That doesn't quite answer the question - There is not an insignificant chance you are rejected by all 4 universities on your next application. What would then be your back-up plan to medicine? I don't really understand how you could possibly know that Oxford is the only university you would be happy at, either. The atmosphere, opportunities and teaching style can be replicated elsewhere. Of course it's a lovely place, but so are many others.

Having visited Oxford three times, and then staying over for 2 days; I really became attached, it is difficult to recreate this sensation elsewhere, walking from your historical college, receiving scientific lectures at a medical school, then walking through the historically rich atmosphere towards your college for a tutorial; albeit going into the many outstanding libraries.
Original post by Lionheartat20
That doesn't quite answer the question - There is not an insignificant chance you are rejected by all 4 universities on your next application. What would then be your back-up plan to medicine? I don't really understand how you could possibly know that Oxford is the only university you would be happy at, either. The atmosphere, opportunities and teaching style can be replicated elsewhere. Of course it's a lovely place, but so are many others.

You could attempt to defer for one year at another university, although I'm not that familiar with applying to another medical school once you already have a secured place at one medical school (It's certainly not allowed to start at one, and then swap to another).
You won't get anywhere "appealing" for a place at Oxford this year.

I suspect along with a previous poster that the feedback given will be rather vague.

I heard someone asked their tutors, and he received his interview scoes along with the notes. I'll ask the College admission tutors, and also the tutors who interviewed me (One of which is head admissions tutor for medicine). Hopefully, I can receive some detailed feedback.

Why wouldn't appealing work?
Original post by Science99999
Having visited Oxford three times, and then staying over for 2 days; I really became attached, it is difficult to recreate this sensation elsewhere, walking from your historical college, receiving scientific lectures at a medical school, then walking through the historically rich atmosphere towards your college for a tutorial; albeit going into the many outstanding libraries.

How much do you care about the sensation of walking through some historic buildings compared to receiving an excellent education at any medical school in the country and thereby actually becoming a doctor? You could risk not becoming a doctor if you cannot defer a place elsewhere.

Is money an issue? You'll also lose out on over £25,000 by taking a gap year across your lifetime earnings. It's one extra year when you aren't earning money.

Appealing wouldn't work because it's not a debate about "I think I'm good enough" but you've rejected me (Otherwise what exactly are you appealing; and it could easily show as arrogance). They've already made their decision to reject you, they have decided and made up their minds. If there was a huge error on the day, perhaps a repeat interview would be in order (e.g. fire alarm went off and you were evacuated mid-interview) but otherwise they've made their decision. They would get hundreds of appeals a year if they let people just get them to re-consider.

As others have said, it's ultimately up to you what you do though :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Khushi.S
It is totally your decision at the end of the day... if you feel that you can repeat the performance from this year again next year and get the 6s again then I don't see why you can't get an interview and potentially an offer again. Does Oxford allow reapplication after the interview stage?

Yep, although you cannot reapply whilst studying medicine elsewhere.

I get how frustrating it can be to not get the offer from your dream uni, but you have the offer from Imperial which is a FANTASTIC medical school (My friend's sister goes there and she says its incomparable to other medical schools) so I don't know if its wise to give up the offer for a uni that you may get rejected from again next year. It may seem difficult to recreate the atmosphere elsewhere now, but go to applicant holder days and spend some more time in the cities and you will probably get attached to those as well. In terms of scientific lectures, all of your unis are excellent research unis and have a strong academic focus (Imperial in particular and also Birmingham with its life sciences park) and if a traditional course suits you well then once again, Imperial has that. Most people don't have an option to be picky when it comes to medicine, so anyone would kill to be in your position right now (4 interviews and an offer already). Think of it as an opportunity to experience London life and be in one of the largest cities in the world. But as I said, if you REALLY, REALLY, REALLY feel like Oxford is the ONLY uni that satisfies your requirements then it is up to you to reapply and give up your offers this year
I'd like to experience the formals, the societies, the Oxford Union, and being in a college. I'm not sure if Oxford medics have the opportunity to fulfil this to the fullest, however I know that the first 3 years you're generally in college and in the medical building. Oxford PhDs are rigourously competitive? I was thinking of doing one at Oxford.
I would recommend you defer your entry for Imperial and apply again to Oxford, I recognise you from the imperial thread. Imperial is amazing and is my first choice however, medicine is a long 5-6 year course and being somewhere you don’t want to be can be depressing and effect your learning and performance I’m in the same position with my 3rd and 4th choice I just can’t see myself going there, living there or adapting. Nonetheless I wish you the best of luck
Smh
Original post by Maz123445
I would recommend you defer your entry for Imperial and apply again to Oxford, I recognise you from the imperial thread. Imperial is amazing and is my first choice however, medicine is a long 5-6 year course and being somewhere you don’t want to be can be depressing and effect your learning and performance I’m in the same position with my 3rd and 4th choice I just can’t see myself going there, living there or adapting. Nonetheless I wish you the best of luck

Do you not think that giving up an offer (especially from one of the most selective and difficult med schools to get into) is unwise? At the end of the day, their qualification will be viewed no differently to an Oxford graduate. I do agree that it is a long long course but even though you may not see yourself adapting now, it doesn't mean that in a years time you will still have that feeling. For example, I was so against applying to Birmingham in year 12 because I just didn't like the city but then when I spent a bit of time, I found that it was actually one of the best places I've ever visited and plan on firming it if I get the offer. They said that they had spent a lot of time at Oxford, maybe spending more time in another city will make them just as attached to it
Out of curiosity, have you been educated at Oxbridge?

That being said you can check the imperial offers holder day (if they have one) and maybe change your mind?
Is this sarcasm/taking the mick out of Science99999? In case I'm falling victim to Poe's Law here, I'll just clarify that you definitely don't need to have done your undergrad at Oxford to do a PhD there.
UKCAT: 720
BMAT: 4A 6.4, 6.2 (Can't remember).
GCSEs: 999 7A*s
AS: A (93% AS mathematics)
A-Level predictions: A*A*A*A*

Super curricular: 4 week Nuffield Research Project, Biology Olympiad, Cambridge Chemistry Challenge, Essay competition, RSC Analyst chemistry competition, Young Scientist Journal, Gold Crest Award, co-authored a published book under Oxford University Press + many more.
Volunteering: 1 year at Hospital, 6 months educating inner city children the importance of moral values, National Citizen Service, raised donations for 5 charities, and freely tutored state students who were struggling with their GCSE exams.

Outcome for Oxford: Rejection (I am asking feedback, because I must have tanked the interview, although I felt went quite well)
Imperial Offer A*AA
I am waiting for decisions at Birmingham and Sheffield.

I might reapply to Oxford.

'Options' 1 & 3 are not options.

You cannot hold onto an offer and re-enter the UCAS process the following year. You would have to turn down any offers you receive this year and enter the next application cycle with no guarantee of an Oxford offer, or gaining admission again from any of the other universities you have received offers from this year. While getting some feedback from the tutors will undoubtedly be useful, you cannot 'appeal' the outcome. If you have been rejected this year, it's a rejection.

*PERSONALLY* I think even contemplating the options 1-3 that you've laid out is unwise. There are plenty of very suitable candidates who get turned away from Medical schools each year. If you are lucky enough to receive an offer, I think you should take it. A medical degree is a medical degree, regardless of whether it comes from Oxford or Birmingham and I think you are romanticising the Oxford experience.

I would concede that you may have a point if you were applying for a subject where the teaching and content actually varies from place to place (Social Sciences, Humanities etc.). Additionally, you need to have a very robust plan for how you want to spend your gap year and going through an application cycle is incredibly stressful- and I say this as an Oxford reapplicant who was successful the second time round!

If you honestly have your heart set on reapplying, I don't think that there is anything that anyone can say on this forum that will dissuade you. I think you also know that the best responses will likely make the same points that I have done, however, this is a decision that ultimately you need to make and not live to regret afterwards.

Best of luck whichever way you decide to go.
(edited 5 years ago)
Do you not think that giving up an offer (especially from one of the most selective and difficult med schools to get into) is unwise? At the end of the day, their qualification will be viewed no differently to an Oxford graduate. I do agree that it is a long long course but even though you may not see yourself adapting now, it doesn't mean that in a years time you will still have that feeling. For example, I was so against applying to Birmingham in year 12 because I just didn't like the city but then when I spent a bit of time, I found that it was actually one of the best places I've ever visited and plan on firming it if I get the offer. They said that they had spent a lot of time at Oxford, maybe spending more time in another city will make them just as attached to it

Defer don’t withdraw, I respect the fact that you were mature enough to recognise the medicine is the same everywhere” I just personally can’t do that, if I’m not 100% sure the Uni is for me the 5-6 years are going to be a mess. Who knows ?
Defer don’t withdraw, I respect the fact that you were mature enough to recognise the medicine is the same everywhere” I just personally can’t do that, if I’m not 100% sure the Uni is for me the 5-6 years are going to be a mess. Who knows ?

Fair enough. I suppose if it REALLY matters where you do the medical degree then reapplying could be more beneficial but it would be a massive risk...
i can understand reapplying to oxford for most courses but for medicine it makes no sense. as I've said, it comes down to whats more important to you; medicine or oxford/the oxford experience.
why the obsession with o*****? I mean, I get Cambridge--but o*****?
Original post by rasputshealthbar
why the obsession with o*****? I mean, I get Cambridge--but o*****?

I've been to both the uni open days and if I am being truly honest, they were very nice and obviously have a fantastic reputation but I actually preferred KCL and Birmingham to both... maybe I'm just weird
(edited 5 years ago)
Perhaps, considering that the medical experience will be similar at both Oxford and Imperial, with the end goal being the same, I think sticking with Imperial may be a wise choice. Although, recently I was invited to a new idea, apply to Cambridge (Apparently, they focus more on the super-curriculars, and this may play a significant advantage when receiving an offer- although, it doesn't feel right to apply to Cambridge since it isn't Oxford).

I an encouraged to go to Imperial, the London Life is dynamically thrilling; I enjoyed spending time around Kensington and viewing the inspiring atmosphere of success. Perhaps, applying for a PhD at Oxford, once I complete my degree. Maybe, either becoming a doctor at Oxford University Hospitals Trust or potentially an educator!
I've been to both the uni open days and if I am being truly honest, they were very nice and obviously have a fantastic reputation but I actually preferred KCL and Birmingham to both... maybe I'm just weird

In regards to aesthetics? I find ldn unis to have similar monotone looks, in all honesty. ICL, UCL, KCL, and QMUL looked....uninspiring imho. Love London tho, dont get me wrong. I just prefer the idyllic sprawling campuses of Cambridge (but then again, I'm probably biased since I live here).

Latest

Trending

Trending