The Student Room Group

Electrochemical cells help

In the conventional representations, do you separate things that are in the liquid and then the aqeuous phase (or vice versa) by a line or a comma?
Original post by Bertybassett
In the conventional representations, do you separate things that are in the liquid and then the aqeuous phase (or vice versa) by a line or a comma?

By a line
@ChemistryWebsite can you please help with this
"|" represents the boundary between the two phases, and "||" represents the salt bridge.
Comma, ",", separates substances in the same phase
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by BobbJo
"|" represents the boundary between the two phases, and "||" represents the salt bridge.
Comma, ",", separates substances in the same phase

@Bertybassett This answer from @BobbJo summarises the convention nicely
Original post by ChemistryWebsite
@Bertybassett This answer from @BobbJo summarises the convention nicely

In my book it has a comma seperating something in a liquid and aqeuos phase though?
In my book it has a comma seperating something in a liquid and aqeuos phase though?

Care to show an example?

I can't think of any half-cells that have liquids and aqueous phases in contact ...
(edited 5 years ago)

"Something in a liquid" : if the liquid is water, and the something is dissolved in the water, then this is aqueous phase too. If this is the case then your textbook's comma is separating two species in aqueous solution, i.e. two things in the same phase.

Quick Reply

Latest