The Student Room Group

Typical day in the life of a teacher/trainee teacher?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by jeffercake
I'm a primary school direct trainee in a mixed KS1 class. A typical day for me is:
7:50 arrive at school, prepare my resources, set up tables, log into laptop and Simms
8:20 doors open, I chat to parents, and help chn with morning maths
8:35 register time then phonics
9:10 literacy
10 assembly
10:20 playtime, I do playground duty once a week
10:40 snack, I usually read a story
11 maths (I will either teach maths or literacy all week, alternating with the class teacher)
12 dinner time, I seat the chn and get them settled
12:10 catch up on marking, tidy the classroom, get things set up for the afternoon session
12:30 dinner time for me, yay! And a catch up with staff in the staff room
1 bring the kids in from outside and do the register, chat to the chn, talk about their day etc etc
1:30 afternoon session, I alternate teaching with the class teacher
2:30 circle time
2:45 get chn ready for hometime
3 bye, kids!
Tidy classroom, mark, assess,
4pm go home, pick my own kids up, make tea etc, catch up with their day, put them to bed, then I plan for about an hour a night.
Spend time with husband and kids on Saturday, spend all day Sunday planning and doing uni work :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi!
Although you are a primary trainee (I'm secondary geography), I'm looking for advice about the Schools Direct programme? I have offers from a school direct route and core PGCE but I am unsure which to pursue? Do you feel like a supply teacher/teaching assistant or part of the school?
Any advice would be appreciated, thank you!!
Hi,I have a few questions! do you teach in WA? and do you find that teaching Year 1 is a lot easier than the older years? Looking at your schedule is clear to see your work load is a lot more relaxed then others. I'm a graduate teacher (primary) who is yet to find a job because of the same issue of too much work, not enough time and as a result having no life. Would like to know your insight being in the younger years.
I'm a Secondary English teacher, in my third year of teaching (am RQT as I did the Teach First route however).

Typical Day:

8:15am - Get into school, switch computer on and load up PowerPoints needed for the day.
8:20am - 10:50am: Tutor time, lessons.
Break for twenty minutes where I normally try and leave classroom and go for a chat somewhere.
11:10am - 13:10pm: Lessons.
Lunch where I am normally in my classroom with students helping them with work.
Then another lesson.

I have meetings once a week after school which last until four, and a revision class which lasts until four.

I try not to stay late, but have a set list of things I want to do each day and get them done before I leave. Sometimes this means leaving at half three, sometimes it means leaving at half seven.

I don't work at home or on the weekends, ever.
Original post by Mr M
You know the answer. It is as you described. If you are good at managing your workload you can keep one day free at the weekend as well as Friday evening. You do get long holidays as compensation too.

Disagree. It was like that in training and NQT. Now in RQT and free most evenings. Occasionally have to do a few hours at the weekend. Marking is the bain of my life but my school encourage different forms of marking like marking online / dictation, marking grids and RAG ratings.

I think ultimately it depends on the school you work at but I think increasingly workload is getting less.
Original post by ByEeek
Disagree. It was like that in training and NQT. Now in RQT and free most evenings. Occasionally have to do a few hours at the weekend. Marking is the bain of my life but my school encourage different forms of marking like marking online / dictation, marking grids and RAG ratings.

I think ultimately it depends on the school you work at but I think increasingly workload is getting less.

Good for you but that isn't typical unless you are suggesting most teachers exaggerate when they reply to working hours surveys?

The actual number of hours worked do depend greatly on your school and your own ability to say 'enough is enough'. Some schools do not have any after-school meetings, some do not have written reports, some do not mark students' work. But most do all.
Original post by Mr M
Good for you but that isn't typical unless you are suggesting most teachers exaggerate when they reply to working hours surveys?

The actual number of hours worked do depend greatly on your school and your own ability to say 'enough is enough'. Some schools do not have any after-school meetings, some do not have written reports, some do not mark students' work. But most do all.

Oh yes. I get all that. But I am thankful that my team look proactively at all the options of reducing workload. I remember suggesting to my HoD about using stickers to indicate good work. She looked at me like I was stupid - "Stickers are 4 movements. Why don't you just use a stamp?"

For me though it is about working smart. If I can I mark in class in real-time. I spend a further hour after work marking and by and large that works. Thankfully I can plan for the week ahead in my PPA time.
I am a teacher trainee in FE. So, my hours are probably different to schools as colleges run differently. Really, my workload would probably be less if I didn't have assignments for my PGCE to do. I am on placement two days a week. One day is pretty much a full day, 10 to 5. The other placement day, I am in from 10 to half 12. I use my day off on Friday to make lesson plans and resources. Then, I use the weekends to work on PGCE assignments.

I know that lot of NQTs in primary and secondary that are just doing supply work because of its flexibility and not having to do paperwork.
Original post by Homo Fuge
I am a teacher trainee in FE. So, my hours are probably different to schools as colleges run differently. Really, my workload would probably be less if I didn't have assignments for my PGCE to do. I am on placement two days a week. One day is pretty much a full day, 10 to 5. The other placement day, I am in from 10 to half 12. I use my day off on Friday to make lesson plans and resources. Then, I use the weekends to work on PGCE assignments.

I know that lot of NQTs in primary and secondary that are just doing supply work because of its flexibility and not having to do paperwork.

Blimey! I need to move into FE! If 10-5am is a full day count me in. I am in school at 7am and leave most days at 4.30pm!:smile:
Original post by ByEeek
Blimey! I need to move into FE! If 10-5am is a full day count me in. I am in school at 7am and leave most days at 4.30pm!:smile:

Yeah, FE is more relaxed compared to primary and secondary. Behaviour management is a breeze if you are lucky enough to work with adult learners.
Original post by Homo Fuge
Yeah, FE is more relaxed compared to primary and secondary. Behaviour management is a breeze if you are lucky enough to work with adult learners.

What is the pay? Is it the same as the teaching main pay scale or is it less?
Original post by ByEeek

Colleges set their own salaries but if they are a good college, normally they will follow the recommendation set by the Universities and Colleges Union. I've seen jobs at colleges with salaries similar to a secondary teacher's. A lot of FE jobs will have a slightly less salary because a lot of them are part-time roles.
Original post by ByEeek

Funding in FE is in an even worse state than most schools right now. This means the pay is often lower, and in most colleges you don't have the holidays protected in the same way you do in school. There's also less opportunity for TLRs etc. A lot of employment is on a part time, temporary basis, and some lecturers will work across several colleges to make up a full time job.

From what I've heard, teaching in FE has got a lot harder in recent years now everyone has to stay on until they are 18, so now many FE teachers have to deal with behaviour management issues without a real system in place to support them.
Student teacher on 2nd placement here in primary school...

6.30 - get up, sort out lunches/breakfast etc. Shower etc.
7.45 - leave house, take daughter to breakfast club, drive to school
8.15 - arrive at school, catch up with messages, get set up for the day etc
8.45 - kids come in
12.15 - 1.15 - lunch use this time to mark books and do what work I can
3.15 - end of school day - tidy up classroom. mark books, discuss day with tutor, discuss next day with tutor.
somewhere between 4.30 & 5.30pm - leave school - this depends on how much we have to do, staff meetings, and if I need to get my own kids anywhere.
between getting home and about 7.30pm - spend time with my kids, make tea, catch up with hubby etc.
7.30 - 9pm - slot I allow for doing work - don't always use all of it but try to ensure I stop at 9pm. Depends on how much I've got to do
10.30ish - empty dishwasher, check stuff sorted for morning, go to bed.

It's hard but it'll be worth it. I'm sure that in a few years it'll get easier as I work smarter and with more confidence (and when there's no PGCE assignments to do!)
MFL Secondary - coming to end of placement 1 (finish next week).

8:30 - arrive at school. Drop stuff in the MFL office, turn on computer, go and make coffee.

8:40 - AM registration (tutor time with year 10s).

8:50 - first lesson.
9:50 - second lesson.
10:50 - break
11:10 - third lesson
12:10 - fourth lesson
1:10 - lunch
1:50 - PM registration (back with the year 10s again).
2:20 - fifth period
3:20- have a little chat with colleagues before settling down to some marking/planning.
4:45 - leave school.
5:10 - home.
7:00-8:00 uni-based tasks, critical reflection or lesson plan upload.

I've done the working until 11pm in the evenings but find this lowers my productivity in the day and isn't really as much hard work as it sounds - it's inefficient. So, make sure you have your rest in the evening and just work smart when you do work.

I could arrive at school an hour earlier and then I could leave at 4:00 instead of 4:45, but that's personal preference.

I'm hoping I'll be 10-20% more efficient next term, and by NQT year, 25% more efficient, to cope with the added workload.

It's definitely do-able, but you have to be good at bashing out assignments for uni under pressure, as normally the school stuff takes precedence until a uni deadline is less than a week aaway, and then it's pedal to the metal!
Primary

05:30 - Wake up
07:00 - Arrive at school
07:00-08:00 - Mark books from the previous afternoon lesson.
08:00-08:30 - Photocopy resource, sort out what groups children will work in and place books into specific piles, brief support staff.
08:40 - Children arrive
09:00-10:00 - Maths lesson
10:00-11:00 - English lesson
11:00-11:15 - School assembly
11:15-11:30 - Break (sorting things out for the next lesson, ramming a biscuit down my throat and if I'm lucky, a cup of coffee)
11:30-12:30 - Reading comprehension and another activity e.g. foreign language or music.
12:30-13:30 - Lunch (in lunch I eat for about 15 mins and then mark the maths books from the morning lesson if I can. Sometimes I have to deal with behaviour problems, make phone calls and prepare for the afternoon).
13:30 - Children come in from lunch (I use this time to discuss their day and then we watch the news and discuss the current goings on especially Brexit).
13:45-14:45 - Afternoon lesson e.g. Geography, history, art, science etc.
14:45-15:00 - Daily mile.
15:10 - Children leave.

15:30-17:30 - Adapting planning - on top of your planning it is important to adapt planning for the next day using information gathered from your marking that day. Mark books from English in the morning, general paperwork. (one day a week there is a staff meeting that will run from 15:30-17:00 so I end up staying at school later).
17:30 - Leave school
18:15 - Arrive home and make dinner.
19:00-20:00 - Prepare for the next day - complete any jobs I didn't get done in the day and clock off!

I also work Saturday mornings for English and Maths planning. You will also get 10% (a morning or afternoon) as PPA once a week. This is a time to do your planning, prep and assessment when your class is covered by another teacher.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending