Quitting PGCE Watch

rehgallab
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi all,

I'm hoping to find some advice/helpful tips. I have been on my Primary PGCE since September. I initially had quite a bad placement from october until january and so put down my lack of enjoyment to that and decided to see how my next placement went. It was going ok but the extreme work load is getting to me and now (5 weeks before the end) I have just been plummeting grades wise and struggling with the work load. I spend most nights crying and dreading the next day but I'm so close to the end that I feel like it would but stupid to quit. But then I also don't want to teach in the long run and it's seriously not good for my mental health to keep this up. I'm so lost at what to do. I'm talking to my Uni about it tomorrow but I'm pretty sure they'll just tell me to 'keep my chin up and it'll get better' but I really don't think it will.

What are your experiences with withdrawing/postponing? I'm so lost and scared, I really don't know what to do and am miserable all the time.

Thank you
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
It is hard. But you would be an eejit to quit now. 5 weeks will be over before you know it. Hang in there to the bitter end then enjoy the summer whilst you are considering your options.

Good luck!
computed
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by rehgallab)
Hi all,

I'm hoping to find some advice/helpful tips. I have been on my Primary PGCE since September. I initially had quite a bad placement from october until january and so put down my lack of enjoyment to that and decided to see how my next placement went. It was going ok but the extreme work load is getting to me and now (5 weeks before the end) I have just been plummeting grades wise and struggling with the work load. I spend most nights crying and dreading the next day but I'm so close to the end that I feel like it would but stupid to quit. But then I also don't want to teach in the long run and it's seriously not good for my mental health to keep this up. I'm so lost at what to do. I'm talking to my Uni about it tomorrow but I'm pretty sure they'll just tell me to 'keep my chin up and it'll get better' but I really don't think it will.

What are your experiences with withdrawing/postponing? I'm so lost and scared, I really don't know what to do and am miserable all the time.

Thank you
I quit my PGCE back in March due to similar things happening in my second placement. I just couldn't continue it as I was beginning to fail - and I did really well in my first placement.

I actually withdrew, since you need very good reasons to defer the course and I could not be happier.

Furthermore, I really enjoyed teaching in general and I truly believe that if i had the right support, I would have been an excellent teacher. Knowing this, I have reapplied to another university to complete my PGCE again.

If you want to quit, you should as no one should suffer, but take a long hard think about it and visit support at your university to see if they can help you, even if it is 5 weeks left.
Honeyzest
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Did the OP quit?I’m in that position nowI have a constant feeling of dread and have spent the last 4 weeks crying every time I talk about itI’m a mum of 3 and I don’t know what to do instead. I did my degree 15 years ago and I haven’t had a career so there’s basically nothing out there for me but I can’t stand this
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (97)
14.85%
Yes - a food allergy (71)
10.87%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (16)
2.45%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (18)
2.76%
No (451)
69.07%

Watched Threads