The Student Room Group

What happens if I don’t do my dissertation?

It needs to be handed in in a week, I’m not good at writing and I know I can’t do it. I’m studying art and I just want to know exactly what will happen. Will I get an email or letter? How will the whole process work? I will not hand it in late, I’m just not going to do it. Is there anything I should do before the deadline (other than keep trying to write)?
Original post by boopsmctoots
It needs to be handed in in a week, I’m not good at writing and I know I can’t do it. I’m studying art and I just want to know exactly what will happen. Will I get an email or letter? How will the whole process work? I will not hand it in late, I’m just not going to do it. Is there anything I should do before the deadline (other than keep trying to write)?

Is this for a degree course?

Why have you left it till the last minute to decide this?

They will basically score you 0 and that may affect you modules or course.

If its a compulsory module, then you will be required to resubmit, but be capped at 40%. It is a little bit staggering that you have left it till this stage to do anything about it. Talk to your PT bow. If it is compulsory and you continue to refuse, then it could end with you failing the year.

This is serious, so act like a grown up and talk to your department about it. A dissertation is simply a long essay. You must have had many weeks/ months to prepare this.
Reply 2
I’m going to second what @999tigger said. Regardless if you’re studying art, science or history - you are required to submit a dissertation. If you don’t submit this you’ll get 0%, which may impede whether or not you graduate. Your university has resources available to help with your writing, and there are employed members of staff who’s job it is to support your writing! If you haven’t already - seek them out! Speak to your course leader and explain your reasons for not writing your dissertation, and maybe (and this is dependent on how sympathetic they are) you can get an extension.

I third what others have said, you need to do a dissertation at some point, either now or in the summer resit period (but this will be capped). You can't just refuse to do it. If you do refuse, you will get zero and probably be awarded a diploma rather than a degree, as you won't have fulfilled all the requirements to be awarded a degree.

Hey, I'm the same position, how did you solve this issue?
Reply 5
I’ve not read something more condescending in my life. You can withhold the judgment and just give the advice. You don’t know what this person is going through, it’s ‘staggering’ how insensitive you’re being.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending