The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Final Year Module Fail

Hi,

Does anyone know what the consequences of failing a module in the final year is? I'm a final year undergraduate and I'm supposed to hand in a dissertation in two days on which I'm really struggling to complete. I was doing an okay job until the start of this week where my mental health just took a complete nosedive and so I'm pretty sure I'm going to hand in something that won't even make the pass mark :frown:

I tried to do some reading on what could happen if I fail this module. It's worth 30 credits and it consists of two assignments. 90% of the grade is made up by the dissertation while the other 10% is a participation assignment on which I got 100. I don't really understand any of it though... if I do fail this module, do I have to retake the entire third year? I'm certain that I'll pass my other modules because I've got 65+ on all of them, it's just this one I'm worried about.

I did email my course supervisor but I'm not sure how helpful this is. I already applied for self-certified mitigating circumstances for other reasons and was granted one and I don't have any medical evidence to prove my mental issues as they are recent and I don't think I'll be able to get any evidence in such little time...

I'm okay with re-sitting the dissertation in the summer, but after reading the regulations I'm so confused. I read in places that I might have to retake the entire year, or that I can only retake this module but it'd have to be next year, or that I can just resit the dissertation this summer! Can someone please help me out?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

Does anyone know what the consequences of failing a module in the final year is? I'm a final year undergraduate and I'm supposed to hand in a dissertation in two days on which I'm really struggling to complete. I was doing an okay job until the start of this week where my mental health just took a complete nosedive and so I'm pretty sure I'm going to hand in something that won't even make the pass mark :frown:

I tried to do some reading on what could happen if I fail this module. It's worth 30 credits and it consists of two assignments. 90% of the grade is made up by the dissertation while the other 10% is a participation assignment on which I got 100. I don't really understand any of it though... if I do fail this module, do I have to retake the entire third year? I'm certain that I'll pass my other modules because I've got 65+ on all of them, it's just this one I'm worried about.

I did email my course supervisor but I'm not sure how helpful this is. I already applied for self-certified mitigating circumstances for other reasons and was granted one and I don't have any medical evidence to prove my mental issues as they are recent and I don't think I'll be able to get any evidence in such little time...

I'm okay with re-sitting the dissertation in the summer, but after reading the regulations I'm so confused. I read in places that I might have to retake the entire year, or that I can only retake this module but it'd have to be next year, or that I can just resit the dissertation this summer! Can someone please help me out?

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you are struggling to complete assignments. Please be assured there are ways the University can support you.

It is great that you have been in contact with your supervisor, they are one of the best people to speak to regarding steps to take when struggling. I would also recommend the module leader for your dissertation module as they may be able to help.

We have a range of services we can offer to support wellbeing, including the student wellbeing service. Have you considered speaking to them? You can self refer via this link.

Good luck with the rest of your degree and I hope you will soon have a plan in place to support you and your dissertation.

Any further questions we will be here.

- Anna (UK Student Recruitment Co-Ordinator)
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending