The Student Room Group

Any positives about brexit

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paul514
Brexit: Push for more generous EU no-deal offer http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46995337

Will you look at that, we get to the point brexiteers have been arguing for an look at the cracks immediately appear

This sort of division will only increase the closer we get to the leaving date too, if only our parliamentarians weren't EU puppets that are trying to totally ruin our strong position.
Original post by old_dude
What Cameron said before the vote is irrelevant. The only thing that matters was what was written on the ballot. It was not written "leave on WTO terms"; this is your interpretation. Staying in the CU and SM is a perfectly valid solution.

Where did I defend Ford exactly?

It's entirely disingenuous to try to claim that the what was written on the ballot means that we weren't sure what we were voting for, i can tell you what it definitely wasn't voting for and that is remaining in the EU in any way.
So yes Burton is quite correct, you and many others, including all these concerned ( for their future cosy EU parliament jobs and pensions) politicians are totally twisting the result of the referendum.
Control over the borders and waters, control over the UK's own trade deals.
Not paying millions of pounds to the EU every week.
Original post by Rakas21
On the subject of cheap European food, many of us would argue that we could purchase Angolan bananas as cheaply without subsidy if free of tariffs imposed by Brussels.

And switching from Caribbean bananas to Angolan bananas would take how long in your estimation, including negotiating time, creating or moving the banana fleet, obtaining the relevant health checks on their bananas - a year? Two years? Or more like, maybe, five years? And in the meantime, what? The belief that Brexiteers have that everything will take care of itself eventually and in the meantime, well, Dunkirk spirit, is just laughable.

Anyway, Angolan bananas taste like wee.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
And switching from Caribbean bananas to Angolan bananas would take how long in your estimation, including negotiating time, creating or moving the banana fleet, obtaining the relevant health checks on their bananas - a year? Two years? Or more like, maybe, five years?

I don't think the current government would be capable of making a trade agreement.
Original post by ColinDent
It's entirely disingenuous to try to claim that the what was written on the ballot means that we weren't sure what we were voting for, i can tell you what it definitely wasn't voting for and that is remaining in the EU in any way.
So yes Burton is quite correct, you and many others, including all these concerned ( for their future cosy EU parliament jobs and pensions) politicians are totally twisting the result of the referendum.

You can only speak for yourself here. It is your interpretation of the referendum vote, but the people were not asked their opinion on the future relationship with the EU, just whether they wanted to leave the EU or not. Call me disingenuous, but it doesn't prove me wrong.
we will not have to be faced each day with a mind-boggling variety of foodstuffs, many of which have incomprehensible foreign names :hand:

we saw off Adolf and his pals with nothing more than lumpy gravy, mystery meat and the humble spud.

yes i know Potatoes are immigrants from America but we all have to make compromises.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Anyway, Angolan bananas taste like wee.

Some people would pay good money to taste Angolans' wee. Another daily reminder of the beauty of Brexy.
Original post by Rakas21
No more objections to ... discrimination in favour of British business.

Poor, poor. I would have thought someone so active in serious political discussion would be at least familiar with the WTO's rules. There are significant restrictions on discriminaton under GATT and GATS. Look up the national treatment principle.
Original post by old_dude
You can only speak for yourself here. It is your interpretation of the referendum vote, but the people were not asked their opinion on the future relationship with the EU, just whether they wanted to leave the EU or not. Call me disingenuous, but it doesn't prove me wrong.

So we hold a referendum with 3 options a Norway type deal, a CETA type free trade deal or no deal, or are you simply trying to push a remain agenda which would indeed make your rhetoric disingenuous.
Original post by the bear
we will not have to be faced each day with a mind-boggling variety of foodstuffs, many of which have incomprehensible foreign names :hand:

we saw off Adolf and his pals with nothing more than lumpy gravy, mystery meat and the humble spud.

yes i know Potatoes are immigrants from America but we all have to make compromises.

How very droll, have you ever considered a career as a professional ******* ? You'd be very good at it.

For clarification purposes that word is bell end
(edited 5 years ago)
How very droll, have you ever considered a career as a professional ******* ? You'd be very good at it.

i cannot answer because one of the words has been replaced with asterisks ?

:dontknow:
we won't have to import dodgy foreign meat. home grown was good enough for us in the past... we can take back control in the future.

https://allthisrunningaround.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Brixton-19472.jpg
once the ration queues are stretching down the high street we will soon learn how to make the most of every last scrap of food !

https://s3.amazonaws.com/hoth.bizango/images/106463/5._better_pot_luck_today_feature.jpg
i cannot answer because one of the words has been replaced with asterisks ?

:dontknow:

I've clarified that for you ;-)

that is two words ? i don't suppose that intellectual ability will count for much after Brexit :h:
that is two words ? i don't suppose that intellectual ability will count for much after Brexit :h:

Evidently, further clarification required for the hard of thinking.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=*******

Hahaha, fookwit swear filter, anyhoo you are clearly intent on proving my point
(edited 5 years ago)

I don't believe you're allowed to circumvent the swear filter like this.
Currently there is a lot of uncertainty so companies choosing to move out of the uk is just a risk minimisation thing. But once we have fully left and have setup our own framework businesses will come back. Also companies moving out of the UK to places like Singapore show that we are moving towards trading more globally.
Original post by Notoriety
I don't believe you're allowed to circumvent the swear filter like this.

I have to be honest, if bell end is now a majorly offensive word then the world truly has gone to ****.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending