The Student Room Group

Marks and spencer accused of cultural appropriation

Scroll to see replies

Cant get excited by it zzzzz
post has 328 likes on Twitter, and Metro makes a piece about it

Get off my ****ing lawn
Ah naw you can't name that biryani.
Yawn.
M&S don't deserve all the free advertising for their new vegan wrap.
Lousy research, spelling and a very dubious product naming decision.
Yet so much free publicity from the media, restaurants, chefs and even the co-founder of the Quilliam Foundation.
The court of public opinion -v- M&S
On trial for crimes against: authentic cuisine, food fusion culture (and spelling).
Original post by londonmyst
Yawn.
M&S don't deserve all the free advertising for their new vegan wrap.
Lousy research, spelling and a very dubious product naming decision.
Yet so much free publicity from the media, restaurants, chefs and even the co-founder of the Quilliam Foundation.

Wait, majiid Nawaz has commented? Where?
Original post by Andrew97
Wait, majiid Nawaz has commented? Where?

Facebook & twitter.
Here's the twitter link-
https://twitter.com/MaajidNawaz/status/1090324147719282694
how does one have a biryani wrap
Sensationalism. Nobody claimed cultural appropriation. They claimed it's not a biryani, which tbf it isn't. Pretty sure nobody would be offended M&S sold an actual microwave biryani with all the focal ingredients, but a wrap with some veg and curry sauce isn't a biryani wrap, which is what people are commenting on.
Reply 10
I get accused of it every week.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
but a wrap with some veg and curry sauce isn't a biryani wrap, which is what people are commenting on.

It's got rice in it :dontknow:

M&S can call it Biriyani (their spelling) if they want. They're not under an obligation to provide 'authenticity'. I doubt anyone really expects it, either, in the wrap they picked up as part of their supermarket meal deal. The fact that it's a wrap should be a clue in itself.

Authenticity is pretty overrated in relation to food anyway.

Look at the comments. One from the article is:

In India firstly there is no such thing as a veg Biryani.

Yeah, well, in England, now there is. And it's in a wrap. So what?
Original post by TimmonaPortella
It's got rice in it :dontknow:

M&S can call it Biriyani (their spelling) if they want. They're not under an obligation to provide 'authenticity'. I doubt anyone really expects it, either, in the wrap they picked up as part of their supermarket meal deal. The fact that it's a wrap should be a clue in itself.

Authenticity is pretty overrated in relation to food anyway.

Look at the comments. One from the article is:

Yeah, well, in England, now there is. And it's in a wrap. So what?

It's not a biryani, simple really. If I ordered a Full English from a cafe and it didn't have any egg, I'd be foaming and feel mislead - a focal ingredient missing from a well known dish is just unacceptable to a foodie :colonhash: Again, nobody's calling cultural appropriation, but they are saying that it isn't a biryani, and they're right. There's many different types of curry, all classified by their ingredients, and people expect certain ingredients based on what curry they choose.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
It's not a biryani, simple really. If I ordered a Full English from a cafe and it didn't have any egg, I'd be foaming and feel mislead - a focal ingredient missing from a well known dish is just unacceptable to a foodie :colonhash: Again, nobody's calling cultural appropriation, but they are saying that it isn't a biryani, and they're right. There's many different types of curry, all classified by their ingredients, and people expect certain ingredients based on what curry they choose.

If you ordered a Full English in Italy and they didn't have baked beans, would you demand they remove it from the menu?

That's a much closer parallel.
If you ordered a Full English in Italy and they didn't have baked beans, would you demand they remove it from the menu?

Or if he was in Italy and ordered full English ravioli, and complained there was no egg in it and that mozzarella is not a usual ingredient...

If I actually used social media and there was a post about a restaurant in Italy that served a Full English without beans, then I'd have something to say, yes. Fix it or take off the menu.
Original post by snugglebear
Or if he was in Italy and ordered full English ravioli, and complained there was no egg in it and that mozzarella is not a usual ingredient...

WTF is a "full English ravioli"???
Don't like it? don't buy it.

Why is that so hard to understand.
First world issues for first world people.

Like, actually these lot just need to **** off at this point. Outrage culture of the outrage community is getting ridiculous.

Me breathing will soon be cultural appropiation due to the first humans breathing were from Africa apparently.
Do people still take this cultural appropriation thing seriously? I have a hard time telling it apart from satire these days.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending