The Student Room Group

Marks and spencer

Has anyone previously worked with marks and spencer and has dealt with overpayment?
I worked there for a while, but it's the first time I've heard about the overpayment. What exactly is the issue?
Reply 2
Original post by CarterHardy
I worked there for a while, but it's the first time I've heard about the overpayment. What exactly is the issue?

The debt that they put people in after they leave.
OMG! It's good that I haven't faced those issues personally. Besides, the guys who used to work with me, we still keep in touch, and they haven't mentioned anything like that. That's a bit shocking for me. It's not like I'm trying to defend them or something. Just seems weird. Have you talked to your supervisor or HR about this?
Reply 4
Original post by CarterHardy
OMG! It's good that I haven't faced those issues personally. Besides, the guys who used to work with me, we still keep in touch, and they haven't mentioned anything like that. That's a bit shocking for me. It's not like I'm trying to defend them or something. Just seems weird. Have you talked to your supervisor or HR about this?

Yes I have talked to them and it’s happened to some other people. It’s just annoying because I didn’t want to leave but now I’m in debt
It seems to me like the issue happened only to your branch. Or maybe the place where I worked wasn't that bad. I think you should definitely write a collective complaint to the head office or even go through an employment tribunal. How do they even explain those debts?
Reply 6
Original post by Learner777
The debt that they put people in after they leave.

Your posts are rather vague.

Do you owe them money? If so, it's up to you to pay it and the debt is your issue. If not, you need to show M&S evidence of your wages and hours up to the time you left and that you weren't overpaid for what you worked.
Reply 7
Original post by Surnia
Your posts are rather vague.
Do you owe them money? If so, it's up to you to pay it and the debt is your issue. If not, you need to show M&S evidence of your wages and hours up to the time you left and that you weren't overpaid for what you worked.

I mean it’s been solved now and it’s not really vague it’s just an overpayment issue . I’m just really confused as to why a problem caused by the payroll team has caused others to be in debt.
Reply 8
I mean it’s been solved now and it’s not really vague it’s just an overpayment issue . I’m just really confused as to why a problem caused by the payroll team has caused others to be in debt.

Like most organisations, there will be a set date for organising who gets paid what, eg middle of the month, and a set date for employees to be paid, eg end of the month. If someone leaves and the payroll office doesn't get the information in time to make changes, that someone will have been given their pay based on the info available and will have to pay any excess money back to the company. If it puts the person in debt, that is their issue and not the company's.

However, if you are being given more money than you should have, how can you get in debt? People should be more aware of the situation and not spend what isn't theirs.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Surnia
Like most organisations, there will be a set date for organising who gets paid what, eg middle of the month, and a set date for employees to be paid, eg end of the month. If someone leaves and the payroll office doesn't get the information in time to make changes, that someone will have been given their pay based on the info available and will have to pay any excess money back to the company. If it puts the person in debt, that is their issue and not the company's.
However, if you are being given more money than you should have, how can you get in debt? People should be more aware of the situation and not spend what isn't theirs.

What are you saying they overpaid me and admitted to overpaying and put me and others in debt.
Reply 10
What are you saying they overpaid me and admitted to overpaying and put me and others in debt.

Did you get overpaid in your last pay slip when you left?

How did they put you in debt?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending