The Student Room Group

LJMU Biomedical Science?

I live in Liverpool, so LJMU is the easiest uni option for me, I have an offer from them, but I was just wondering if anyone has studied Biomedical Science here?

How did you find the teaching, was the support good? And did you get lots of job opportunities out of it? I’ve heard people in unis like Staffordshire (which I also have an offer from) came out with better skills and better chances of employment, and most of the students ended up with a job within the NHS
Reply 1
https://www.grb.uk.com/sbm/15270 Check this out for more graduate employment opportunity and student job opportunities
Reply 2
bumping this and adding “liverpool john moores university” lol
Original post by jairobyn
I live in Liverpool, so LJMU is the easiest uni option for me, I have an offer from them, but I was just wondering if anyone has studied Biomedical Science here?

How did you find the teaching, was the support good? And did you get lots of job opportunities out of it? I’ve heard people in unis like Staffordshire (which I also have an offer from) came out with better skills and better chances of employment, and most of the students ended up with a job within the NHS

By the last line I'm assuming you want to work as a BMS in the NHS?
Reply 4
Original post by RegisteredBMS
By the last line I'm assuming you want to work as a BMS in the NHS?

it’s an idea, yeah. i just want to have a stable and fairly paid job, i’ve heard it’s extremely difficult to find anything
it’s an idea, yeah. i just want to have a stable and fairly paid job, i’ve heard it’s extremely difficult to find anything

Nobody walks from a standard Biomedical Science degree into a BMS job in the NHS anymore. HCPC registration is a required, of which IBMS accreditation is a requirement.

To obtain HCPC registration you need to either have a placement year, which are becoming increasingly rare in hospitals and the ones that occur are very competitive, usually 1-2 per academic year. The other option is via BSc Healthcare Science (Life Science). You actually work towards the registration as a part of the 3 year degree. Similar to how you graduate from nursing and midwifery degrees with your professional registration. It's hard work but you get your registration in a far less painfree and quicker route than many.
Reply 6
Nobody walks from a standard Biomedical Science degree into a BMS job in the NHS anymore. HCPC registration is a required, of which IBMS accreditation is a requirement.

To obtain HCPC registration you need to either have a placement year, which are becoming increasingly rare in hospitals and the ones that occur are very competitive, usually 1-2 per academic year. The other option is via BSc Healthcare Science (Life Science). You actually work towards the registration as a part of the 3 year degree. Similar to how you graduate from nursing and midwifery degrees with your professional registration. It's hard work but you get your registration in a far less painfree and quicker route than many.

My uni courses are accredited, and i’m planning on taking a years placement along with my studies that my uni offers if I can get that. Ive already chosen my courses so I cant really change that now
Reply 7

Would completing my course make me stuck for jobs and placements? Or will it still leave a wide range of fields I can go into? I've read up and saw that jobs are majorly decreasing and now im really worrying if doing this degree will be a waste
IBMS accreditation is only relevant to being a Biomedical Scientist in the NHS so it's only going to open up one career. BMS jobs are still there but most people lead themselves down the much longer route and end up giving up.
Reply 9
IBMS accreditation is only relevant to being a Biomedical Scientist in the NHS so it's only going to open up one career. BMS jobs are still there but most people lead themselves down the much longer route and end up giving up.

So it’s unlikely for me to get a job related to my career? What would you suggest is best?
So it’s unlikely for me to get a job related to my career? What would you suggest is best?

An IBMS accredited degree doesn't close any doors.

"It's unlikely for me to get a job related to my career".

That sentence is incredibly confusing. As far as I can tell you're either pre-University or at University. You don't have a career yet.
Reply 11
An IBMS accredited degree doesn't close any doors.

"It's unlikely for me to get a job related to my career".

That sentence is incredibly confusing. As far as I can tell you're either pre-University or at University. You don't have a career yet.

I meant degree, my bad. I’m about to go into university but if jobs are rapidly decreasing I don’t want to be stuck at the end of it, but i’m unsure on what path to take for this
I meant degree, my bad. I’m about to go into university but if jobs are rapidly decreasing I don’t want to be stuck at the end of it, but i’m unsure on what path to take for this

You can't say jobs are decreasing because a Biomedical Science degree has far too many career routes even when ignoring being a Biomedical Scientist.
Reply 13
You can't say jobs are decreasing because a Biomedical Science degree has far too many career routes even when ignoring being a Biomedical Scientist.

Ah, people failed to mention that and just talked about how it leads to a stop. Thanks for the help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending