The Student Room Group

International Journalism MA at Cardiff University or City, University of London

I recently got accepted to International Journalism M.A. programs at Cardiff University and City, University of London. I can't decide which program to choose. I know Cardiff has a great journalism program, but I believe City does as well. Pros and cons of both? I am drawn to Cardiff for its reputation, but feel that City's location in London would provide a wealth of connections and job opportunities.
I know that it’s been a while, but I really want to know what’s your final choice since I’m facing with the same situation. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks a lot!
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi there,
Have you two decided it yet? I applied for city's another course, MA TV Journalism but got refused. City actually got really good reputation too, and I think one of the pros is the industry and alumni link. I have received the offer from Cardiff for the same course you have applied for, and based on my research and talking to one of the course graduate, Cardiff is a great place to start a media or journalism career in the UK, as the new BBC building was built and the city is looking forward to attract more creative talents (you can go on to read this article about the new BBC building:https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-43782811)
I believe both unis are good and offer quality courses. Can't really tell what are the cons for both unis, sorry. For City Uni the living cost is much higher because it's located in London, but as you said there will be a lot of opportunities. Personally I prefer smaller city, so if it's Cardiff and City, I'd probably choose Cardiff over City, plus it's pretty safe.

My situation is a little different. I'm thinking whether to study Cardiff MAIJ or Sheffield MA Broadcast Journalism. (The former is more academic and the latter is very practical..(from what I remember, City's MAIJ is more practical) I'm not sure which one is better because I also worried about the prospect after gradate too, and it seems to me that the more news-ready I am, the easier I can secure a job, which points to Sheffield's course(and for you it may be City's). However, I believe Cardiff's MAIJ can inspire and teach me to think more critically, which is no less important)

Original post by francesviolet
I know that it’s been a while, but I really want to know what’s your final choice since I’m facing with the same situation. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Original post by jbuxbaum
I recently got accepted to International Journalism M.A. programs at Cardiff University and City, University of London. I can't decide which program to choose. I know Cardiff has a great journalism program, but I believe City does as well. Pros and cons of both? I am drawn to Cardiff for its reputation, but feel that City's location in London would provide a wealth of connections and job opportunities.
Reply 3
Original post by teresa2002112

Have you two decided it yet? I applied for city's another course, MA TV Journalism but got refused. City actually got really good reputation too, and I think one of the pros is the industry and alumni link. I have received the offer from Cardiff for the same course you have applied for, and based on my research and talking to one of the course graduate, Cardiff is a great place to start a media or journalism career in the UK, as the new BBC building was built and the city is looking forward to attract more creative talents (you can go on to read this article about the new BBC building:https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-43782811)
I believe both unis are good and offer quality courses. Can't really tell what are the cons for both unis, sorry. For City Uni the living cost is much higher because it's located in London, but as you said there will be a lot of opportunities. Personally I prefer smaller city, so if it's Cardiff and City, I'd probably choose Cardiff over City, plus it's pretty safe.

My situation is a little different. I'm thinking whether to study Cardiff MAIJ or Sheffield MA Broadcast Journalism. (The former is more academic and the latter is very practical..(from what I remember, City's MAIJ is more practical) I'm not sure which one is better because I also worried about the prospect after gradate too, and it seems to me that the more news-ready I am, the easier I can secure a job, which points to Sheffield's course(and for you it may be City's). However, I believe Cardiff's MAIJ can inspire and teach me to think more critically, which is no less important)

Hey there! I applied to Cardiff University for the MA in Broadcast Journalism and got rejected, I was given the chance to reapply with a new personal statement and I am currently waiting on the result.

I also applied for Goldsmiths for TV Journalism and at City I applied for International Journalism. I am still waiting on a decision from Goldsmiths but today got the news I had been accepted at City! Sooo... very happy, at least I got accepted at one.

I am from Argentina and I would be moving to the UK for my Masters degree. Which Uni would you say is the best regarding reputation and employability after finishing the programme?
Hi All,Just to pick this thread back up, it would be great if a previous grad could answer some of these questions!I've just been offered a place at City on the International Journalism MA, but am considering applying to Cardiff simply because my family home is in Bath and I could live there whilst studying. This would result in lower living costs.My issues are that City has higher entry-standards, which I assume means a better all-round standard. It's also in London, as stated above, which, being someone currently working in media, is a massive benefit when it comes to networking and opportunity accessibility.Any help on this would be great.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending