The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

How is the teaching at Cardiff University?

Also, at the majority of UK universities first year grades do not matter. Is this the same at Cardiff University?
Obviously, I aspire to work to the best of my ability but I’m apprehensive it will take a while to adjust to the workload.

Does it rain a lot in Cardiff?
Do people go to Bristol often for nights out or just for days out in general?
What is the social scene like in Cardiff as well?
All the social media posts, youtube videos, TikTok’s and google showing the things to do in Cardiff seem to show the same set of activities.

What is the beach there like? And the nature?
Does it have a city atmosphere?
Original post by Anonymous
Also, at the majority of UK universities first year grades do not matter. Is this the same at Cardiff University?
Obviously, I aspire to work to the best of my ability but I’m apprehensive it will take a while to adjust to the workload.

Does it rain a lot in Cardiff?
Do people go to Bristol often for nights out or just for days out in general?
What is the social scene like in Cardiff as well?
All the social media posts, youtube videos, TikTok’s and google showing the things to do in Cardiff seem to show the same set of activities.

What is the beach there like? And the nature?
Does it have a city atmosphere?

Hi there

Cardiff uni student here! I'll try my best to answer some of your questions

Teaching at Cardiff really does depend on the course/modules that you are taking. Overall, in my experience, the teaching is generally really good - well-presented and really clear!

Whether the first-year marks count towards your final grade, as far as I know, depends on your course. For me, I study International Relations and the second year is 40% and the third year will be 60%.

Cardiff is one of the wettest cities in the UK! As someone who does not enjoy the rain, it's not as bad as I expected but it's probably a good idea to carry an umbrella. Though, spring and summer are really such a beautiful time in Cardiff - I think that the weather is pretty good then.

I've been to Bristol a few times to visit friends but the two cities are actually quite similar. I prefer a lot of the clubs in Cardiff so wouldn't really go out of my way to go to Bristol when the clubs are just a 10-minute walk from my accommodation.

Cardiff is a super social place. You can really choose to what extent you participate in student events and societies etc - everyone is so wonderful both in the university and around the city generally so it's easy to be social and there's something for everyone.

There are a bunch of things to do in Cardiff - what kind of things do you like? I could try to give you some unique suggestions.

The city does feel city-like, though those coming from London think of it as really small. I think it's a perfect mix - there is a huge shopping centre (St Davids) and everything that you would get in a capital city, but you can also walk along the bay (with the Severn estuary to your left and Cardiff bay to your right), go hiking up Pen Y Fan in the Brecon Beacons or get a 30-minute train to enjoy the golden sands and coastal trail in Barry Island.

All the best

Jaz - Cardiff student rep
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending