The Student Room Group

Which medical school has the least requirements for interview?

hi! which medical school has the least requirements for an interview? some ask for 9(!!!) GCSEs and I was only planning to do the ones I have to do (for med school and anyways) biology, chemistry, physics , maths , English and Welsh. that's 6, do you think I could get into most medical schools if I do well in these subjects? which medical schools?? do I need to do a levels for all of them or do most not ask for them?? im panicking 😔

Scroll to see replies

Original post by csh19120522
hi! which medical school has the least requirements for an interview? some ask for 9(!!!) GCSEs and I was only planning to do the ones I have to do (for med school and anyways) biology, chemistry, physics , maths , English and Welsh. that's 6, do you think I could get into most medical schools if I do well in these subjects? which medical schools?? do I need to do a levels for all of them or do most not ask for them?? im panicking 😔

Medical schools are very competitive. You should get as many GCSEs as possible as this will give you the best chance possible. Every single medical school requires A-Levels and I believe that all of them require 3 A-levels. A-level chemistry is an absolute must have and usually biology is also advised.

https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/gcse-requirements-for-medicine/

https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-be-a-doctor/
Original post by Thomas_Grimes_17
Medical schools are very competitive. You should get as many GCSEs as possible as this will give you the best chance possible. Every single medical school requires A-Levels and I believe that all of them require 3 A-levels. A-level chemistry is an absolute must have and usually biology is also advised.

But if I do loads of GCSEs isn't that gonna mean I'll get a bad grade in them all since I can't study like 15 subjects at once 😲🏛️
But if I do loads of GCSEs isn't that gonna mean I'll get a bad grade in them all since I can't study like 15 subjects at once 😲🏛️

Most people have 10 GCSEs so having only like 6 is gonna put you at a massive disadvantage.
Most people have 10 GCSEs so having only like 6 is gonna put you at a massive disadvantage.

oh? what should I choose to do in those 10 GCSEs then?
Well you need Maths, English (ideally literature and language) and at least double science, I’d suggest triple science though. The rest is up to you chose to do what you enjoy.
Well you need Maths, English (ideally literature and language) and at least double science, I’d suggest triple science though. The rest is up to you chose to do what you enjoy.

but how would I study all 10 subjects equally?
oh? what should I choose to do in those 10 GCSEs then?

Do what you enjoy. GCSE's are a time where you can be a little more chill. It's perfectly reasonable to be doing 10+ GCSE's and get 9's in all of them

Most people do 10 its not a big deal, GCSE are not in depth subjects
Original post by AzureCeleste
Do what you enjoy. GCSE's are a time where you can be a little more chill. It's perfectly reasonable to be doing 10+ GCSE's and get 9's in all of them

oh ok thanks!!
oh ok thanks!! how long is each GCSE test time ?? like how much time do u have to complete each booklet?? how much is in it is there enough time??

Just spread your time equally. I did 12. I got 2 A’s and 10 A*s. It’s not as hard as you might think.
Just spread your time equally. I did 12. I got 2 A’s and 10 A*s. It’s not as hard as you might think.

yeah I will and oh wow that's so good, how come alot of people fail them though??
yeah I will and oh wow that's so good, how come alot of people fail them though??

Often because they don’t put the effort in. A-levels are far harder than GCSEs
Often because they don’t put the effort in. A-levels are far harder than GCSEs

how much did u study per day for ur GCSEs then? o.O
how much did u study per day for ur GCSEs then? o.O

Well from about 2 to 3 months before GCSEs I did about 1.5-2 hours a day.
oh ok thanks!! how long is each GCSE test time ?? like how much time do u have to complete each booklet?? how much is in it is there enough time??

dont worry about this stuff youre in year 8😂 ask your teachers if youre interested
u don't understand Im so scared for the future it's very competitive I NEED to study NOW bc I never study bc all my life they're like omg ur so smart so I felt I didn't need to but I DO😔and I'd ask them but they say we are too young to worry about careers and also I have no time during lessons/after 😔🍓
hey - coming from a current year 11, you do not need to be stressing about gcses in year 8!! 3 years ago they were the furthest thing from my mind, and i was just having fun, you do need to study hard to get good grades in them BUT nowhere near as much as you think you do. i get that you're worried because of all the emphasis that seems to be placed on them which is to be honest very unnecessary but i promise you that once you get there it is not nearly as bad as it seemed it was going to be. it's already a good start that you're in year 8 but you have a clear vision of where you might want to go, i've just chosen my a levels and i still don't know!! you will definitely have enough time if you revise smart (from year 10/11) and learn the content and it is entirely possible to do 10+ subjects and get good grades in them!! in fact it might be compulsory in your school to do at least 8/9 GCSEs because that's what most people have for competitive degrees, and they only ask their students to do that because it's entirely achievable. don't stress yourself silly at this time because it won't get you anywhere and will only make things worse for yourself - these years of secondary school are the only ones where you aren't worrying about exams so enjoy them while they last!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending