The Student Room Group

Best Universities in the UK for engineering?

Except for Oxbridge, Imperial and UCL

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Thar Linn Htet

Durham, Bristol and Warwick
Original post by harrysbar

What about Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Sheffield, Southampton, Birmingham, Nottingham, Leeds?
What about Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Sheffield, Southampton, Birmingham, Nottingham, Leeds?

What about them? They're good Unis for Engineering too with not much to choose between them in terms of reputation, so it boils down to module choice, facilities and location
Reply 4
For engineering the facilities matter quite a bit. Visit universities on open days to have a look at them, with some universities having very new buildings for engineering such as Southampton.

UCL actually aren't that well received or known for their engineering disciplines.
I personally wouldn't rank them with the likes of Oxbridge/Imperial.
Original post by Toast_IE
For engineering the facilities matter quite a bit. Visit universities on open days to have a look at them, with some universities having very new buildings for engineering such as Southampton.

Agree with this. Sheffield also has good facilities and the "diamond" to recommend it.
Reply 7

Bristol, Bath, Sheffield, Loughborough, Strathclyde, Oxford Brookes, and many many others
Original post by Doonesbury
Bristol, Bath, Sheffield, Loughborough, Strathclyde, Oxford Brookes, and many many others

Oxford Brookes? Since when it became on par with the top unis like Sheffield or Bristol?
Reply 9
Oxford Brookes? Since when it became on par with the top unis like Sheffield or Bristol?

It's a very good feeder for F1 in particular.

Don't get hung up by Russell Group "prestige".
It's a very good feeder for F1 in particular.

Don't get hung up by Russell Group "prestige".

So Sheffield can be better than NTU although NTU ranks ridiculously higher? The NTU from Singapore.
Reply 11
So Sheffield can be better than NTU although NTU ranks ridiculously higher? The NTU from Singapore.

As far as UK engineering employers are concerned, your university doesn't matter.

As far as you should be concerned, you need to visit potential universities and see for yourself. Rankings, especially world rankings, aren't relevant for undergrads.
As far as UK engineering employers are concerned, your university doesn't matter.

As far as you should be concerned, you need to visit potential universities and see for yourself. Rankings, especially world rankings, aren't relevant for undergrads.

I am an international student and I am choosing between Sheffield and NTU. I'm more inclined to Sheffield cuz I feel more comfortable dealing with brits than asians. But NTU ranks higher in nearly every league table while Sheffield is mostly like top 100 worldwide.

Also, I want to do a masters and a doctorate in oxbridge or one of the top unis in the US like MIT, Stanford, Caltech, etc and settle down in an English speaking non-asian country.

Cost is also a problem too. My friend who currently works in the UK said scholarships for master's degrees are extremely rare so I'm not sure if I could be able to do a masters and phd on scholarships in the UK after finishing my undergrad degree in Sheffield. On the other hand, NTU gives lots of tuition aid even to international students so...
Reply 13
I am an international student and I am choosing between Sheffield and NTU. I'm more inclined to Sheffield cuz I feel more comfortable dealing with brits than asians. But NTU ranks higher in nearly every league table while Sheffield is mostly like top 100 worldwide.

Also, I want to do a masters and a doctorate in oxbridge or one of the top unis in the US like MIT, Stanford, Caltech, etc and settle down in an English speaking non-asian country.

Cost is also a problem too. My friend who currently works in the UK said scholarships for master's degrees are extremely rare so I'm not sure if I could be able to do a masters and phd on scholarships in the UK after finishing my undergrad degree in Sheffield. On the other hand, NTU gives lots of tuition aid even to international students so...

As I said, ignore the rankings. And you can do a masters at Oxbridge with a BEng* from Sheffield. There's certainly postgrad engineering funding available at Oxbridge, but you need to be competitive to secure it. A first from Sheffield would be helpful.

*Or PhD after an MEng.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
I am an international student and I am choosing between Sheffield and NTU ...

Oh, and why all the smoke and mirrors then? Just ask that actual question instead of wanting nebulous "recommendations".

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by harrysbar

Cambridge, Oxford and LSE
Reply 16
Original post by A level RPP
Cambridge, Oxford and LSE

When did LSE start offering Engineering?
And which universities are the constituents of Oxbridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile
When did LSE start offering Engineering?
And which universities are the constituents of Oxbridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am currently unaware maybe one could enlighten me on the issue
Original post by A level RPP
I am currently unaware maybe one could enlighten me on the issue

Perhaps you could do some research on LSE's engineering courses.
Original post by ageshallnot
perhaps you could do some research on lse's engineering courses.

yes i ahve it does enginerical politics and enginerical law...my sustervdoes pure law at lse...theybalso do mi i enginneering courses

Quick Reply

Latest