The Student Room Group

UK driving licence no longer valid in Ireland

In the event of a no-deal Brexit, UK licence holders living in Ireland will have to obtain an Irish licence at a cost of €55 by the 29 March to continue to drive in Ireland.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/feb/22/uk-driving-licences-will-not-be-valid-in-ireland-under-no-deal-brexit?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Scroll to see replies

Gr8 b8 m8 I r8 8/8

And from a ‘Section Leader’ no less.
That will do wonders for the Irish tourist trade and the Irish Sea ferry industry, won't it? or does it only apply to those who actually live there, and not to temporary visitors?
It would be just as inconvenient for them if Irish licenses were suddenly invalid in the UK, this sounds like another empty threat.

Is the airspace ban still happening? I'm sure Aer Lingus and Ryanair will be delighted when they no longer can fly to London. :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by Good bloke
That will do wonders for the Irish tourist trade and the Irish Sea ferry industry, won't it? or does it only apply to those who actually live there, and not to temporary visitors?

It's only for Brits already living in Ireland. But temporary visitors to all EU countries will need an International Driving licence. Currently being stocked up by a post office near you...
Original post by Doonesbury
It's only for Brits already living in Ireland. But temporary visitors to all EU countries will need an International Driving licence. Currently being stocked up by a post office near you...

Apparently not Ireland, according to the government website I have just read. But a trip through France to Spain would necessitate two IDPs, of different types. Bizarre!
that will show Johnny foreigner who is in control. what what.
Reply 7
Apparently not Ireland, according to the government website I have just read. But a trip through France to Spain would necessitate two IDPs, of different types. Bizarre!

Ha, didn't know that. Maybe we could have a pan-European organisation to help resolve obstacles like that... The Eurodrivers Union. That would be good..
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by the bear
that will show Johnny foreigner who is in control. what what.

Obviously, if it were Paddy Foreigner and you were stopped and had one of the old paper licences you might have to say "Green side up" when you proffered it.
Ha, didn't know that. Maybe we could have a pan-European organisation to help resolve obstacles like that... The Eurodrivers Union. That would be good..

maybe the countries in our part of the world could kinda club together on these & similar issues ? just an idea :dontknow:
Reply 10
Original post by the bear
maybe the countries in our part of the world could kinda club together on these & similar issues ? just an idea :dontknow:

It might even prevent another war in Europe. Excellent idea!
Then why are irish mods valid in the British dominated student room?
Original post by Tommaine
Then why are irish mods valid in the British dominated student room?

Northern Irish mod. Not just Irish. He's one of ours.
I wonder if the Irish will now switch to driving on the right.
They could do it in phases to ease the problems: buses and lorries on Monday, cars on Tuesday, cycles and motorcycles on Wednesday and visitors on Thursday. And, obviously, emergency services vehicles on Friday.
Reply 15
I wonder if the Irish will now switch to driving on the right.

1550861694029.jpg

(Although that's the North.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
1550861694029.jpg

(Although that's the North.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's hedging his bets, I think.

It's always good to meet a middle-of-the-road Irishman, though not on a road, obviously.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 17
He's hedging his bets, I think.

It's always good to meet a middle-of-the-road Irishman, though not on a road, obviously.

That's usually where they are... or doing 90 up the hard shoulder.
That's usually where they are... or doing 90 up the hard shoulder.

Whats the situations for Europeans in the equivalent scenario here?
Reply 19
Original post by 999tigger
Whats the situations for Europeans in the equivalent scenario here?

Belgians are (allegedly) terrible drivers ... or is that not what you are asking? :wink:
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending