The Student Room Group

Can't apply for provisional driving licence? Help

Hi, I have recently tried to apply for a provisional driving licence, but for some reason when I type in my passport number the website says my number (which has two letters) should only contain numbers but says it is too short when I only type in the numbers.
I have applied using the old website as I have a non-UK passport but I was born and have always lived in the UK.
Are there options to apply without inputtting any passport details?
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
Are there options to apply without inputtting any passport details?

Yes, but for some reason it will not let me go forward if I don't input my passport number as I am under 17 and it says I can only qualify for a moped licence even though it says you can apply from 15 years and 9 months? I am 16
Original post by k5144
Yes, but for some reason it will not let me go forward if I don't input my passport number as I am under 17 and it says I can only qualify for a moped licence even though it says you can apply from 15 years and 9 months? I am 16

I think you can only drive at 16 if you receive the mobility component of PIP payments, but not sure why that would prompt it to ask for a passport.

This page says it will ask for ID “such as a passport” but lots of people don’t hold one so it seems there should be a workaround.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-provisional-driving-licence#:~:text=To%20apply%20you%20must%3A,plate%20from%2020%20metres%20away
Reply 4
Turns out, for non-UK passports, you need to enter the numbers only, no letters. It's weird, but that fixed it for me. Also, try the new website—it might work better for your case.
Reply 5
Original post by NathanL
Turns out, for non-UK passports, you need to enter the numbers only, no letters. It's weird, but that fixed it for me. Also, try the new website—it might work better for your case.

OP cannot use the 'new' website because they don't hold a UK passport.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending