The Student Room Group

ID in China

Hi,
Not sure if there would be anyone to answer this but I'm planning a trip to China this summer and I'm a bit confused with the ID situation.
I'm aware the legal drinking age is 18 but as I don't have a Chinese ID, does anyone know if they will accept a British provisional license ID or passport to check my age if I were to purchase alcohol?
Reply 1
Original post by Carrotsroom
Hi,
Not sure if there would be anyone to answer this but I'm planning a trip to China this summer and I'm a bit confused with the ID situation.
I'm aware the legal drinking age is 18 but as I don't have a Chinese ID, does anyone know if they will accept a British provisional license ID or passport to check my age if I were to purchase alcohol?

The advice from the UK Government at https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/china/local-laws-and-customs says:

"Carry your passport with you at all times; a photocopy is not regarded as valid ID. Police carry out random checks, especially during periods of heightened security and major sporting or political events. Failure to produce your ID can lead to a fine or detention."

So I'd suggest using your passport.

I suppose it's possible that a driving licence might be accepted (either a full one or a provisional), but I wouldn't rely on it.

Quick Reply

Latest