The Student Room Group

Are you a nihilist and if yes,why?

Also if you are a nihilist,what type?I would say Im an existential nihilist.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yes and no, I guess. If human life will one day end and there is no transcendent afterlife, then you could say that there is ultimately no point to doing anything. But at the same time, there is equally no point to NOT doing anything. In my opinion, there is no transcendent reason that we or anything exists. Nature exists simply because...it's nature. So we might as well do what we think and feel like we should do.

I think the only way you can be completely non-nihilistic is if you believe in a transcendent afterlife, or that human beings will last eternally (which seems simply impossible according to science).
Brilliant question! If I go with this definition of nihilism; "The doctrine that nothing actually exists or that existence or values are meaningless"; then I do struggle to give a complete answer. I disagree with the first part of it, as it seems nonsensical to suggest that nothing actually exists- it just feels like absurdity to me, but correct me if I'm wrong or misguided in that. However, the second part really challenges me to think about why we attach meaning to things, and whether or not it is "necessary" to do or think anything. In truth, I do not know whether or not I consider the latter part of that definition to be true, so overall, I cannot conclude whether I am a nihilist (based on this definition- there may be other definitions that allow me to give a clear answer). I know this doesn't answer the question, but I think it's nice to share thoughts anyhow.
Original post by FutureMissMRCS
Also if you are a nihilist,what type?I would say Im an existential nihilist.

Yes, I am. I don't believe in thoughts to social life they remain forever, I don't believe in states of government which guarantee a society in which people agree trhoughout with living conditions and laws and social structures. They are different, they don't share the same opinion and views and always try to come get through with their ideas to realize in society and to change the living culture. It is a never ending cycle. Everything is doomed to fail one day.
Original post by Kallisto
Yes, I am. I don't believe in thoughts to social life they remain forever, I don't believe in states of government which guarantee a society in which people agree trhoughout with living conditions and laws and social structures. They are different, they don't share the same opinion and views and always try to come get through with their ideas to realize in society and to change the living culture. It is a never ending cycle. Everything is doomed to fail one day.

You sound a bit like an anarchist :biggrin:-would you say you're an anarchist or am I wrong in my judgement?
No, because I grew out of that phase by the end of first school.
Original post by TheOldSoul
Brilliant question! If I go with this definition of nihilism; "The doctrine that nothing actually exists or that existence or values are meaningless"; then I do struggle to give a complete answer. I disagree with the first part of it, as it seems nonsensical to suggest that nothing actually exists- it just feels like absurdity to me, but correct me if I'm wrong or misguided in that. However, the second part really challenges me to think about why we attach meaning to things, and whether or not it is "necessary" to do or think anything. In truth, I do not know whether or not I consider the latter part of that definition to be true, so overall, I cannot conclude whether I am a nihilist (based on this definition- there may be other definitions that allow me to give a clear answer). I know this doesn't answer the question, but I think it's nice to share thoughts anyhow.

The part-where you are referring to nothing existing refers to metaphysical nihilism-a form of anti-realism,I need to read around it more, to be able to discuss it.Are you a moral nihilist?I personally like dividing nihilism into different categories because nihilism itself can be interpreted in many ways.I agree that everything is meaningless in the end including life itself.
Original post by awkwardshortguy
No, because I grew out of that phase by the end of first school.

What made you 'grow out of it'?
Original post by jamesbarry17
Yes and no, I guess. If human life will one day end and there is no transcendent afterlife, then you could say that there is ultimately no point to doing anything. But at the same time, there is equally no point to NOT doing anything. In my opinion, there is no transcendent reason that we or anything exists. Nature exists simply because...it's nature. So we might as well do what we think and feel like we should do.

I think the only way you can be completely non-nihilistic is if you believe in a transcendent afterlife, or that human beings will last eternally (which seems simply impossible according to science).

So are you a moral nihilist?Do you attach any meaning to ethics-are ethics important to you?
No because I am not a fool
Original post by AperfectBalance
No because I am not a fool

How is nihilism foolish, it makes perfect sense to me.
How is nihilism foolish, it makes perfect sense to me.

ok then let me stab you. If everything does not matter, if there are no guiding morals then surely you would be fine with that, but wait, you are not.
ok then let me stab you. If everything does not matter, if there are no guiding morals then surely you would be fine with that, but wait, you are not.

I believe in some morals but I don't think life has any meaning.There are different types of nihilism-take that into account.And even if you did what you said above-it is wrong because Im not a moral nihilist but an existential one.
"existential nihilism, which argues that life is without objective meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value"

It is clear your life has meaning and objective and therefore value and purpose.
"existential nihilism, which argues that life is without objective meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value"

It is clear your life has meaning and objective and therefore value and purpose.

Life has no meaning because when we die there is nothing left.Life cannot store value, like money can.What do you mean by life has meaning, value and purpose, please elaborate.
Life has no meaning because when we die there is nothing left.Life cannot store value, like money can.What do you mean by life has meaning, value and purpose, please elaborate.

When we die we cease to exist, our work and actions do not (they may be insignificant overall and they may be undone/removed) therefore we live on through that.
When we die we cease to exist, our work and actions do not (they may be insignificant overall and they may be undone/removed) therefore we live on through that.

Only the lucky few are remembered, lets be honest here, most people fade into obscurity eventually.
Only the lucky few are remembered, lets be honest here, most people fade into obscurity eventually.

Remembered is not everything, every single man and woman has done something however small to change the course of history, just because we are not written down in books does not mean we are unimportant. Nihilism is dangerous ideology and a horribly flawed one. May I ask why you are a nihilist and what philosophy books you have read
Remembered is not everything, every single man and woman has done something however small to change the course of history, just because we are not written down in books does not mean we are unimportant. Nihilism is dangerous ideology and a horribly flawed one. May I ask why you are a nihilist and what philosophy books you have read

What school of thought do you subscribe to?I read about Nietzsche and his work,I first got interested in nihilism when I discovered it when I learnt about hamlet and then I read about it, all kinds of sources.Im a nihilist because I reject all religious principle,think life is meaningless and there is no value to lifeboat the end we are all dead and when we're dead nothing happens-I'm a nihilist in the existential sense.It's hard to describe why I am one, it just makes sense to me-the ideology.Fianal answer:it just makes the most sense to me.
Nihilism is reserved purely for teenage edgelords.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending