The Student Room Group

Ancient History, Classics, and Archaeology Applicants 2019

I couldn't find a thread for 2019 applicants so thought I would start one myself.

I'll be applying as a mature student :smile:

Name: Kayleigh
Studying: Access Course (History).
Predicted Grades: I don't get predicted grades. I get my grades as and when I finish a module.
Course Applied to: Ancient History and Archaeology.
Uni Applied to: UCL, Durham, Birmingham, Warwick and St Andrews.

Hoping I'm not being too ambitious with my choices.

Looking forward to hearing from other applicants!

Scroll to see replies

Name : Josef
Studying : History, Literature, Law, EPQ
Predicted grades : A*AAA
Applying for Classics and Ancient History
Unis applies to : Warwick ( Ancient History ) Manchester (Classics) Nottingham (Ancient History) Liverpool (Classics) Birmingham (Ancient History)

Received offers from all of them, just can’t decide whether I want to study Classics or Ancient History despite the little difference between them 😂
Name: LittleMissCrazy
Studying: History, Philosophy and Ethics, Gov and Politics
Predicted grades: AAA
Applying for History and Archaeology BA (3 years) - Historical Archaeology at York though
Unis applied to: Newcastle, York, Sheffield, Leicester, Chester

Again I have received offers but I need to pick!
Original post by helpmepls:(
Name : Josef
Studying : History, Literature, Law, EPQ
Predicted grades : A*AAA
Applying for Classics and Ancient History
Unis applies to : Warwick ( Ancient History ) Manchester (Classics) Nottingham (Ancient History) Liverpool (Classics) Birmingham (Ancient History)

Received offers from all of them, just can’t decide whether I want to study Classics or Ancient History despite the little difference between them 😂

I wasn't even aware there was a difference between classics and ancient history! What kind of grades do they all want?
Original post by LittleMissCrazy
I wasn't even aware there was a difference between classics and ancient history! What kind of grades do they all want?

There is v. little difference between the two, and they all want AAB-ABB
Original post by LittleMissCrazy

Classics is the study of literature and civillisation in the original languages and previous study of the languages is required. Classical Studies is the same but no prior knowledge is required. Ancient History can look at literature and Civ but will have a heavy emphasis on historical methods used to study Ancient History.

Classics = Mostly literature
Ancient History = Not mostly literature
(Original post by OmnomnOmnigul)Classics is the study of literature and civillisation in the original languages and previous study of the languages is required. Classical Studies is the same but no prior knowledge is required. Ancient History can look at literature and Civ but will have a heavy emphasis on historical methods used to study Ancient History.

Classics = Mostly literature
Ancient History = Not mostly literature

Thanks! That makes a lot more sense now so thank you :smile:
Reply 7
Name: Megan
Studying: BA Archaeology and Ancient History at Birmingham
Predicted Grades: First/2:1
Course Applied to: MSc Bioarchaeology
Uni Applied to: York, Exeter

If anyone has questions about AAH at Birmingham I'm happy to answer!
Reply 8
Name: Emily
Studying: History, French, Chemistry A-level
Applied for BA Archaeology and Ancient History / Archeology of ancient civilizations
Applied to: Liverpool, Sheffield, York, Birmingham, Manchester
Predicted Grades: AAB

Received offers from all, either ABB or BBB now just need to decide 😂
Reply 9
Name: Brielle
Studying: History, Religion and Spanish
Predicted Grades: ABB
Course Applied to: Archaeology and History/Ancient History (depending on the university)
Uni Applied to: Uni of Liverpool, Cardiff Uni, Uni of Chester, Liverpool John Moores Uni, Canterbury Christ Church Uni

:smile:
Original post by bgafanl
Course Applied to: Archaeology and History/Ancient History (depending on the university)
Uni Applied to: Uni of Liverpool, Cardiff Uni, Uni of Chester, Liverpool John Moores Uni, Canterbury Christ Church Uni

are you considering Liverpool as first choice at all?
Reply 11
I am actually! I’ve been to visit the uni recently and instantly fell in love with the course and the city. I’m thinking it might be my firm choice :smile:
me too!!!
Have any of you considered Trinity College Dublin?
Reply 14
Original post by Ecraig01
me too!!!

This is so cool! Hahaha maybe I’ll see you there in September 😂🤩
Original post by megsch18
Name: Megan
Studying: BA Archaeology and Ancient History at Birmingham
Predicted Grades: First/2:1
Course Applied to: MSc Bioarchaeology
Uni Applied to: York, Exeter

If anyone has questions about AAH at Birmingham I'm happy to answer!

That's awesome!

The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to think that Birmingham is my first choice. It's difficult for me to get to Open Days, so I'm going by what information I can find online.

How have you found the course, Uni and the city? Would you make the same choice if you had to do it all over again?
Hey!
I’m studying Psychology, Classical civilisation and R.S at A-Level plus an EPQ on a Classical topic
My predicted grades are AAA and A in EPQ
Course applied to: Classical civilisation/studies
Applied to: Warwick, Edinburgh, Nottingham and Durham
I’ve received offers from Warwick and Nottingham so far 😁
I’ve only just seen this @OmnomnOmnigul - the course is really good on the ancient history side, but lacking for Archaeology at the moment unfortunately, the city is fab! I’d definitely make the same choice again!
Original post by bgafanl

Original post by Ecraig01
are you considering Liverpool as first choice at all?

I'm in the department at Liverpool (I do Egyptology though) so if either of you have any questions, just let me know :smile:
Original post by connormc199
Have any of you considered Trinity College Dublin?

Definitely. Have you heard about their Schols exams? That's the dream.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending