The Student Room Group

The Hard Grade 9 Questions Thread 2019

Following on from the popular grade 9 threads in 2017 and 2018, here is a thread for 2019!

Feel free to post tough questions but aim to keep them within the limits of "questions that could be in a GCSE exam if the exam writer was being really nasty". So try not to go beyond the GCSE syllabus.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'll kick things off with one that I've posted the last 2 years and was done badly in both threads:

The value of is 32.123 degrees correct to 3 decimal places. The value of yy is 62.425 degrees correct to the nearest 0.005 degrees.

By considering bounds, find the value of to a suitable degree of accuracy. You must show all of your working.
z=0.851 (3dp) ?
Not showing ALL working so that others might have this to do ...
Good question
Triangle OAB
vector OA = a
vector OB = b

M is point on AB so that AM:MB = 1:2
P is point on OM so that OP:PM = 3:4

N is point on OB so that AP produced meets OB at N

ON:NB = x:y
Find smallest possible integers for values x,y.
Select a counter at random from one of two bags:
black bag contains 9 counters : 2 red, 3 green & 4 blue.
white bag contains 12 counters : 5 red, 4 green & 3 blue.

P(choose black bag) = 1-P(choose white bag) = 4/9

Question :
Given that the selected counter is blue, what is the probability that it came from the white bag?
Reply 5
Bumping during peak hours. I wonder if it will take off this year?
The line L:3y4x=3\mathcal{L} : 3y-4x=3 is tangent to parabola Π:9y=(x+3)2+9\Pi : 9y=(x+3)^2+9 at point A, and it crosses the x-axis at point B.
The perpendicular line to L\mathcal{L} goes through point A and crosses the xx-axis at point C.

Find the area of the triangle ABC, giving your answer in the form a4a21\displaystyle \frac{a^4}{a^2-1} where aa is a natural number.
Diagram below shows a semicircle of radius aa about origin OO. Points A,B,Q,PA,B,Q,P lie on the semicircle with the point QQ dividing the arc APAP into the ratio 3:23:2. It is also known that POB=θ<90\angle POB = \theta<90, PAO=α\angle PAO = \alpha and QAP=β\angle QAP = \beta

a) Determine the area of the shaded region in terms of aa and θ\theta

b) Determine the length BPBP in terms of aa and θ\theta

c) Prove that the gradient of OPOP is tan(θ)\tan(\theta) .... (HINT: tanθ=sinθcosθ\tan \theta = \dfrac{\sin \theta}{\cos \theta})

d) Prove that 2α=θ2\alpha = \theta

e) Prove that 2θα=902\theta - \alpha = 90

f) Hence, find the values of α\alpha and θ\theta

g) Thus express the shaded area and length BPBP in terms of aa

h) Find the angle β\beta to 3 decimal places.

(edited 5 years ago)
I'm commenting on this so I don't lose this thread :smile:
@notnek has a bag containing 3 types of sweets coloured red, green, and blue which split the total amount of sweets in the ratio 5 : 3 : 2 respectively. There are an nn amount of red sweets.

@notnek reaches into his bag and picks up a red sweet. He is upset that he didn't get the sweet he wanted so he angrily reaches into the bag and throws out 9 blue sweets on the ground. Then he reaches into his bag and picks up a green sweet. Again, @notnek doesn't want this sweet and is so frustrated that he throws out 1 red sweet. Third time lucky, he reaches into his bag and picks up a blue sweet. @notnek is satisfied. The probability of these events happening in this order is 148\frac{1}{48}.

a.) Show that 11n2535n750=011n^2-535n-750=0 is an equation to be satisfied.

b.) What was the probability that @notnek would pick the sweet he wanted on the first pick?

c.) How many red, blue, and green sweets were there in the bag at the start?

N.B. He does not put the sweets he doesn't want back in the bag.
The graph below shows a function f(x)f(x) that is linear in two different ways in the intervals 0x40\leq x \leq 4 and 4<x64 < x \leq 6.

Find the values of a,ba,b, where a<ba<b, such that fn(a)=af^{n}(a)=a and fn(b)=bf^n(b)=b for all integers n1n \geq 1.

Here fnf^n represents fff...fn times(x)\displaystyle \underbrace{fff...f}_{n \ \text{times}}(x). E.g. f4(x)ffff(x)f^4(x) \equiv ffff(x).

(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by begbie68
Triangle OAB
vector OA = a
vector OB = b

M is point on AB so that AM:MB = 1:2
P is point on OM so that OP:PM = 3:4

N is point on OB so that AP produced meets OB at N

ON:NB = x:y
Find smallest possible integers for values x,y.

1:5?
Original post by RDKGames
Diagram below shows a semicircle of radius aa about origin OO. Points A,B,Q,PA,B,Q,P lie on the semicircle with the point QQ dividing the arc APAP into the ratio 3:23:2. It is also known that POB=θ<90\angle POB = \theta<90, PAO=α\angle PAO = \alpha and QAP=β\angle QAP = \beta

a) Determine the area of the shaded region in terms of aa and θ\theta

b) Determine the length BPBP in terms of aa and θ\theta

c) Prove that the gradient of OPOP is tan(θ)\tan(\theta) (I assume at GCSE you know how to express tan in terms of cos and sine??)

d) Prove that 2α=θ2\alpha = \theta

e) Prove that 2θα=902\theta - \alpha = 90

f) Hence, find the values of α\alpha and θ\theta

g) Thus express the shaded area and length BPBP in terms of aa

h) Find the angle β\beta to 3 decimal places.

Lost after d and didn’t get c so rip.
RIP gave up on the rest cause I’m a too dumb to do them. @RDKGames solutions?
Select a counter at random from one of two bags:
black bag contains 9 counters : 2 red, 3 green & 4 blue.
white bag contains 12 counters : 5 red, 4 green & 3 blue.

P(choose black bag) = 1-P(choose white bag) = 4/9

Question :
Given that the selected counter is blue, what is the probability that it came from the white bag?

5/27?
Original post by ThunderBeard
1:5?

Lost after d and didn’t get c so rip.
RIP gave up on the rest cause I’m a too dumb to do them. @RDKGames solutions?

For part (C) I have added a hint. Does that help? :smile:

Further hint if you need it:

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
Which bit of Grade 9 questions does this apply to?

The line L:3y4x=3\mathcal{L} : 3y-4x=3 is tangent to parabola Π:9y=(x+3)2+9\Pi : 9y=(x+3)^2+9 at point A, and it crosses the x-axis at point B.
The perpendicular line to L\mathcal{L} goes through point A and crosses the xx-axis at point C.

Find the area of the triangle ABC, giving your answer in the form a4a21\displaystyle \frac{a^4}{a^2-1} where aa is a natural number.
1:5 is possibly a good attempt, but I got a different answer ... !
Original post by ThunderBeard
5/27?

no. again, I got a different answer ...
Nice one. Is notnek related to Hannah, or is it that they both like sweets? If I remember correctly, Hannah preferred the yellow sweets?!

@notnek has a bag containing 3 types of sweets coloured red, green, and blue which split the total amount of sweets in the ratio 5 : 3 : 2 respectively. There are an nn amount of red sweets.

@notnek reaches into his bag and picks up a red sweet. He is upset that he didn't get the sweet he wanted so he angrily reaches into the bag and throws out 9 blue sweets on the ground. Then he reaches into his bag and picks up a green sweet. Again, @notnek doesn't want this sweet and is so frustrated that he throws out 1 red sweet. Third time lucky, he reaches into his bag and picks up a blue sweet. @notnek is satisfied. The probability of these events happening in this order is 148\frac{1}{48}.

a.) Show that 11n2535n750=011n^2-535n-750=0 is an equation to be satisfied.

b.) What was the probability that @notnek would pick the sweet he wanted on the first pick?

c.) How many red, blue, and green sweets were there in the bag at the start?

N.B. He does not put the sweets he doesn't want back in the bag.
Reply 18
Which bit of Grade 9 questions does this apply to?

It’s tough but I wouldn’t say it’s beyond GCSE level. It’s the kind of question that you see in GCSE further maths papers.
(edited 5 years ago)
eek! might have a bash at these later :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest