The Student Room Group

Old Spec Past Papers for revision? (Edexcel)

I've been recently doing some old spec (C1,2,3,4) papers for my A level revision and was wondering if the old spec is missing topics that are covered in the new spec or conversely includes topics that the new spec doesn't?

Thanks
Original post by josh_j9
I've been recently doing some old spec (C1,2,3,4) papers for my A level revision and was wondering if the old spec is missing topics that are covered in the new spec or conversely includes topics that the new spec doesn't?

Thanks

I haven't been doing the C1/2 papers, C3 papers are all on spec, but C4 you need to remove the volumes of revolution questions and a lot of the vectors ones you can't go beyond part a or b. There are topics missing (eg. Newton-Rapson) but I don't have a list of those off the top of my head
Reply 2
Are you only using old spec past papers to revise?
Original post by Lemur14
I haven't been doing the C1/2 papers, C3 papers are all on spec, but C4 you need to remove the volumes of revolution questions and a lot of the vectors ones you can't go beyond part a or b. There are topics missing (eg. Newton-Rapson) but I don't have a list of those off the top of my head
Reply 3
Original post by josh_j9

Thanks

I created an article that contains information related to this so you may find it useful:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-level/exams/how-to-revise-a-level-maths-new-spec
Original post by josh_j9
Are you only using old spec past papers to revise?

So far yes because we're being set them at such a rate I cannot keep up with any other revision on top of other homework, but I'll be doing some of the textbook questions and we also do 30 minutes of new spec style questions every maths lesson to help too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
C1 spec covers discriminant, but in the new spec there is more focus/emphasis on application of discriminant. For example to determine whether a straight line is a tangent to a curve.
C1 & C2 cover APs, GPs & radians (sectors & segments) which are now part of Pure2.
C2 Edexcel covers Remainder Theorem, as well as Factor Theorem (this was C1 for other boards). Remainder Theorem is no longer part of spec, though is really not very hard.

C3 covers trig sum-product rules : no longer part of spec
C4 vectors includes dot product & vector equation of lines (planes, too at MEI spec).
C4 also covers volume of integration, and Vol of integration with parametrics
Neither of those is covered under new spec (as Lemur14 has said)

Pure2 now has more of an emphasis on proof.
There are a number of standard concepts of proof as a "topic", and you will be required to use/reproduce proofs of irrationality of sqrt(2) or sqrt(3), and prove "from first principles" that d/dx(sinx) =cosx and similar for cosx -> -sinx under differentiation.
Newton Raphson is 'new' (even though it used to be O-Level spec!) and more recently was part of Further Maths spec (albeit in far more detail & often required analysis of error).
Finally, Pure2 required understanding of use of second derivative in finding / determining points of inflection & stationary points of inflection.
Original post by josh_j9

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest