The Student Room Group

Graduated - Engineer but hate engineering??? :(

Long story short, spent the last 3 years studying non stop and writing reports, got one of the hardest degrees diploma and realised in my final year of uni that I absolutely hate (electronic) engineering.

The problem is that I feel so disappointed/disheartened with myself & my future because I studied so hard, only I know how many labs I attented, how many sleepless nights I've wasted just for this engineering thing and I can't even do it because I hate it. (I've had an internship and no, it was not the company/people/one bad experience, I really know that I don't want to do this as a career)

So many people ask why I did it when I don't like it - well, there's one thing to study about something (I like studying/learning), and there's a completely different thing working and doing the practical of what you've learnt.

I just don't even know what to do, I feel like this UoManchester degree should get me such a good job, now I see friends on FB going to their new great jobs it makes me feel like absolute ****. :/

I am really upset. Any advice/encouragements? :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by y0_3mma
Long story short, spent the last 3 years studying non stop and writing reports, got one of the hardest degrees diploma and realised in my final year of uni that I absolutely hate (electronic) engineering.

The problem is that I feel so disappointed/disheartened with myself & my future because I studied so hard, only I know how many labs I attented, how many sleepless nights I've wasted just for this engineering thing and I can't even do it because I hate it. (I've had an internship and no, it was not the company/people/one bad experience, I really know that I don't want to do this as a career)

So many people ask why I did it when I don't like it - well, there's one thing to study about something (I like studying/learning), and there's a completely different thing working and doing the practical of what you've learnt.

I just don't even know what to do, I feel like this UoManchester degree should get me such a good job, now I see friends on FB going to their new great jobs it makes me feel like absolute ****. :/

If you don't like engineering then apply to non-engineering jobs.
Reply 2
Original post by y0_3mma

Most jobs asking for a degree don't specify the course. And many careers value applicants with an engineering degree - notably finance.

Have a look at this kind of thing: https://targetjobs.co.uk/careers-advice/degree-subjects-your-options/301026-what-can-i-do-with-an-engineering-degree
You'll still have access to your uni's career service for a while.

Which jobs have you applied for?
Reply 4
What do you enjoy? And what made you do the degree in the first place? Could you maybe look for a research or business based job if it's just the practical side of the subject you don't like? You've just got to ask yourself some pretty big questions and go from there.
Reply 5
I feel somewhat the same (i really like certain aspects of mechanical engineering but the careers themselves don't really appeal to me they look so dry) but i want to work in industry first to make a better informed decision.
Reply 6
Original post by a10
I feel somewhat the same (i really like certain aspects of mechanical engineering but the careers themselves don't really appeal to me they look so dry) but i want to work in industry first to make a better informed decision.

Why not find some real engineers that have been employed in the field for 5 yrs or more. Go out and interview them [individually], and ask them: how much do you make, where do you see yourself in 5 yrs, 10 years? What would you have done differently in your education if you had it to do over. Also ask them what other careers they considered. You might also ask them what other areas in engineering they
know of, mentioning that you are a little dissatisfied where you are now. There are so many different aspects to engineering, that i find it strange that you haven't found something you like. Perhaps you need to look over a wider area. Best of luck... Cheers.
I was the same in a different degree area, I decided to get a nice simple job
Reply 8
Original post by Rabbit2
Why not find some real engineers that have been employed in the field for 5 yrs or more. Go out and interview them [individually], and ask them: how much do you make, where do you see yourself in 5 yrs, 10 years? What would you have done differently in your education if you had it to do over. Also ask them what other careers they considered. You might also ask them what other areas in engineering they
know of, mentioning that you are a little dissatisfied where you are now. There are so many different aspects to engineering, that i find it strange that you haven't found something you like. Perhaps you need to look over a wider area. Best of luck... Cheers.

Original post by JamesManc
I was the same in a different degree area, I decided to get a nice simple job

This is a 2 year old thread and now closed - happy to reopen it if OP requests it.

Latest