The Student Room Group

Maths GCSE Foundation

Hi, i need so help and advice.
I am doing my GCSES this may/june and i have always struggled with maths. i had a tutor when i was young, went to after school math lessons, but i never really improved. i can do the basic maths like multiplication and division however i really struggle with the more complicated maths. i’m taking foundation maths, and i’m in set 5/5 in maths which obviously is bottom set, with top set getting grade 8 & 9 and i’m on average getting 2 & 3 :frown: i try really hard in class, i listen and do all my work yet i feel as though the stuff we do i either forget or when it comes to the exam my mind goes blank. sometimes it’s how they word the question so i’m not sure what i actually have to do. i have been revising, trying old exam questions and doing the online websites my school has but as soon as i can’t do it i feel like poo and give up, it makes me feel really sad because i know i really want to at least get a grade 4 and i try really hard but it just won’t stay in my brain. i don’t really know what to do now. does anyone have any tips on how to learn maths and help it stay in my brain and tips for perseverance? thankyou!!
@mayalice28
I'd say stick to looking through marks schemes to look at how to answer questions you'd otherwise give up on. Work on something else/break then try that question again and see if there's progress. Repeat if necessary. Constant practice is key with maths so going over mark schemes helps you learn key methods and understanding of the wording, and you also keep going through the content. This of mini rewards after each revision session if that will motivate you, or a big reward after so many revision sessions. Alternatively, if a sticker chart type approach would do the trick that's something to look into for tracking work and also to give you rhe satisfaction of crossing off each revision session. Try different methods in addition to past paper practice that you think may help, like a match up game with content written on pieces of paper, simply getting someone to test you or writing equations and rules from memory. Feel free to PM me questions/ask others on here for help too because there are lots of people willing to help. If you start making those changes, you can get to that grade 4 at least! :rave:
Reply 2
Original post by Matrix123
@mayalice28
I'd say stick to looking through marks schemes to look at how to answer questions you'd otherwise give up on. Work on something else/break then try that question again and see if there's progress. Repeat if necessary. Constant practice is key with maths so going over mark schemes helps you learn key methods and understanding of the wording, and you also keep going through the content. This of mini rewards after each revision session if that will motivate you, or a big reward after so many revision sessions. Alternatively, if a sticker chart type approach would do the trick that's something to look into for tracking work and also to give you rhe satisfaction of crossing off each revision session. Try different methods in addition to past paper practice that you think may help, like a match up game with content written on pieces of paper, simply getting someone to test you or writing equations and rules from memory. Feel free to PM me questions/ask others on here for help too because there are lots of people willing to help. If you start making those changes, you can get to that grade 4 at least! :rave:

okay thankyou for your help! 🥰
Original post by mayalice28
okay thankyou for your help! 🥰

No problem at all! Best of luck with revision! :hugs:
Original post by mayalice28
Hi, i need so help and advice.
I am doing my GCSES this may/june and i have always struggled with maths. i had a tutor when i was young, went to after school math lessons, but i never really improved. i can do the basic maths like multiplication and division however i really struggle with the more complicated maths. i’m taking foundation maths, and i’m in set 5/5 in maths which obviously is bottom set, with top set getting grade 8 & 9 and i’m on average getting 2 & 3 :frown: i try really hard in class, i listen and do all my work yet i feel as though the stuff we do i either forget or when it comes to the exam my mind goes blank. sometimes it’s how they word the question so i’m not sure what i actually have to do. i have been revising, trying old exam questions and doing the online websites my school has but as soon as i can’t do it i feel like poo and give up, it makes me feel really sad because i know i really want to at least get a grade 4 and i try really hard but it just won’t stay in my brain. i don’t really know what to do now. does anyone have any tips on how to learn maths and help it stay in my brain and tips for perseverance? thankyou!!

Carry on trying old exam papers and make sure that you mark them too and take any questions you can't do to your teacher to explain.

When doing a paper, if you get stuck on a certain question just move on until you find a question you can do. You can always go back to the harder questions and sometimes a new method of approaching it just comes to you.

Would you be able to get a personal tutor again for the last few weeks before the exams? Just to sit with you while you go through past papers and help you when you get stuck. Alternatively, go to any revision classes after school that your school are offering.
Reply 5
I'd recommend using sites like www.scienceandmathsrevision.co.uk and maths made easy, they go through topics nice and simply to make sure you grasp everything you need to know.

Make flashcards to revise methods and ways to approach questions.

most importantly do lots of past papers! have you bought a practice book for your course? I'd really recommend them, they are only about £5 off Amazon but contain loads of practice questions

Quick Reply

Latest