The Student Room Group

A levels to choose for a career in marketing/advertising?

I’m currently in year 11 and need to change my options for a levels as I’ve recently decided that I would like to work in marketing/advertising in the future.
What a levels would be best to take? I’m not keen on picking maths as it is not a strong subject for me.

Scroll to see replies

Media Studies is good if your school offfers it. Economics perhaps, learn about markets and it is a very valuable a level. The next one (or two) should be something you enjoy and you are good at. A levels are hard, so don’t feel bad if you need time to think about it.
Original post by Adeola_O
I’m currently in year 11 and need to change my options for a levels as I’ve recently decided that I would like to work in marketing/advertising in the future.
What a levels would be best to take? I’m not keen on picking maths as it is not a strong subject for me.

You don't need maths and you don't need media studies. Economics or Business studies would be useful, English if you are good at it, or any 2 other subjects that you enjoy.
Reply 3
Original post by watershower
Media Studies is good if your school offfers it. Economics perhaps, learn about markets and it is a very valuable a level. The next one (or two) should be something you enjoy and you are good at. A levels are hard, so don’t feel bad if you need time to think about it.

Thanks. Will definitely choose economics for an option.
Reply 4
Original post by harrysbar
You don't need maths and you don't need media studies. Economics or Business studies would be useful, English if you are good at it, or any 2 other subjects that you enjoy.

Thank you, apparently psychology is good to have, but I don’t know much about it.
Thank you, apparently psychology is good to have, but I don’t know much about it.

Many marketing courses include modules on consumer behaviour so Psychology does link in with Marketing, but only pick it if the subject sounds interesting to you. Could you speak to one of the Psychology teachers at school about it? I think Economics and Psychology sound 2 good ones - plus maybe a traditional subject for your 3rd, like English
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by harrysbar
Many marketing courses include modules on consumer behaviour so Psychology does link in with Marketing, but only pick it if the subject sounds interesting to you. Could you speak to one of the Psychology teachers at school about it? I think Economics and Psychology sound 2 good ones - plus maybe a traditional subject for your 3rd, like English

Thanks! I’ll be sure to, you’ve really helped me out
speaking as someone who is basically in this industry now, you do not need any specific set of A levels.

it is very very important for you to get as much work experience as possible under your belt. weekend job, summer job, internship. do that and you can get a job with any degree.
Reply 8
Original post by A Rolling Stone
speaking as someone who is basically in this industry now, you do not need any specific set of A levels.

it is very very important for you to get as much work experience as possible under your belt. weekend job, summer job, internship. do that and you can get a job with any degree.

Thanks! What kind of jobs would you suggest I look for for experience?
one's that involve people. shops, cafes, pubs, bars etc.
Thanks! What kind of jobs would you suggest I look for for experience?
Reply 10
one's that involve people. shops, cafes, pubs, bars etc.

Ok, thanks a lot for your help
Reply 11

100% this, also speaking as a marketer of xx years experience... :wink:

What are your 3 favourite subjects?
Reply 12
Original post by Doones
What are your 3 favourite subjects?

Computer science, biology and physics (but you can’t choose physics for a levels without also doing maths)
Computer science, biology and physics (but you can’t choose physics for a levels without also doing maths)

maybe it's a rule at your school but at most schools you can definitely choose physics without maths.... however i support schools not allowing it - if maths isn't your strong point then physics and comp science (whose degrees are basically entirely maths) might not be strong for you either.

i did biology and it's a lot of work, but if you do a biology degree then obviously it's a very interesting subject. econ a level is a good subject for people neither fully artsy or mathsy (although the degree again is basically maths)
Reply 14

So if you can't do Physics what would your 3rd choice be?

There's really no specific subjects needed for a successful career in marketing :smile:
Reply 15
maybe it's a rule at your school but at most schools you can definitely choose physics without maths.... however i support schools not allowing it - if maths isn't your strong point then physics and comp science (whose degrees are basically entirely maths) might not be strong for you either.

i did biology and it's a lot of work, but if you do a biology degree then obviously it's a very interesting subject. econ a level is a good subject for people neither fully artsy or mathsy (although the degree again is basically maths)

Yh I’ve heard a lot of people say they find biology interesting at a levels and I can understand why it is that my school wouldn’t allow for someone to pick physics without maths but in my last (and final) mocks I had gotten a 9 in physics however just a 6 in maths.
Reply 16
Original post by Doones
So if you can't do Physics what would your 3rd choice be?

There's really no specific subjects needed for a successful career in marketing :smile:

Right now I’m thinking of taking economics, psychology and possibly business studies but I’m not sure as apparently unis don’t value it as much as other subjects
Reply 17
Right now I’m thinking of taking economics, psychology and possibly business studies but I’m not sure as apparently unis don’t value it as much as other subjects

And which course do you want to do at university? What grades are you expecting your GCSEs?
Honestly pick what you want, the university route would most likely be a BSc/BA in Marketing or Business Management (Marketing). The alternative is any degree subject with a MA/MSc in Marketing. I personally do not do marketing but many people on my course do end up in Marketing, I chose a different route because I'm not creative enough. Preferably with an industrial placement or summer internships. The alternative non-university route would be to get a direct entry job as a Marketing Assistant and move up. :tongue:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Doones
And which course do you want to do at university? What grades are you expecting your GCSEs?

Possibly international marketing (but I need to do a bit more research into all the courses)
I’m expected to get for my GCSEs:
English Language - 7
English literature - 8
Maths - 7
Biology -8
Physics - 9
Chemistry - 7
Spanish - 7
Geography - 8
Computer science - 8

Quick Reply

Latest