The Student Room Group

Scope of Course

As I posted earlier, I have applied in University of leeds, UK for my Masters in both design school (Advertising and design course) and business school (Advertising and Marketing). I haven't received any update from design school yet but I have received an offer letter from business school. I just want to get recommendation on Advertising and Marketing field and its scope in UK. Is this degree worth it or should I wait till next year now for design degree as I have ehard they are more valuable. Thankyou. More suggestions qould be appreciated.
maybe apply to other universities instead?
Original post by Ramna.8
As I posted earlier, I have applied in University of leeds, UK for my Masters in both design school (Advertising and design course) and business school (Advertising and Marketing). I haven't received any update from design school yet but I have received an offer letter from business school. I just want to get recommendation on Advertising and Marketing field and its scope in UK. Is this degree worth it or should I wait till next year now for design degree as I have ehard they are more valuable. Thankyou. More suggestions qould be appreciated.

Hi @Ramna.8

Is there a particular 'school' you'd really like to get into? Design or Business school?

I'm an alumna of Ravenbsourne University London, I graduated last year and I studied BA (Hons) Advertising & Brand Design.

From my own experience and research, I would say it's a pretty broad and competitive area. The Advertising & Marketing field is one of the top areas where there's alot of growth at the moment. There are so many new jobs, especially with the rise and popularity of new social media platforms and there's flexibility to explore new areas when you move from company to company.

If you are really interested in this subject area but want to do more of the design elements, then finding other degrees that give you more scope to do so might be good. The business side of it, isn't always as creative so be mindful of that. I would recommend doing some more research around different universities and what they can offer. Make a pros and cons list and go from there.

You can also look into Clearing if you still want to start university this year but haven't yet found a place etc.

If you need anymore advice, let me know!

Ravensbourne University London
Almasi- 1st Class Advertising & Brand Design Alumna
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
maybe apply to other universities instead?

Hey, I can now only apply for January session since I am from other country applying in europe and also because the September sessions are mostly closed. I am so confused as to should I go this year with this particular subject or wait for next year for early application processing?
Reply 4
Original post by RavensbourneRep
Hi @Ramna.8

Is there a particular 'school' you'd really like to get into? Design or Business school?

I'm an alumna of Ravenbsourne University London, I graduated last year and I studied BA (Hons) Advertising & Brand Design.

From my own experience and research, I would say it's a pretty broad and competitive area. The Advertising & Marketing field is one of the top areas where there's alot of growth at the moment. There are so many new jobs, especially with the rise and popularity of new social media platforms and there's flexibility to explore new areas when you move from company to company.

If you are really interested in this subject area but want to do more of the design elements, then finding other degrees that give you more scope to do so might be good. The business side of it, isn't always as creative so be mindful of that. I would recommend doing some more research around different universities and what they can offer. Make a pros and cons list and go from there.

You can also look into Clearing if you still want to start university this year but haven't yet found a place etc.

If you need anymore advice, let me know!

Ravensbourne University London
Almasi- 1st Class Advertising & Brand Design Alumna

Hey, Thankyou so much for taking out time. I believe too that business side would be quite competitive and not as such creative and it would eventually turn out to be generic but also can you please let me know the career opportunities as I am looking forward to them more after my degree completion?

Regards
No problem. Yes, both fields can be competitive for sure and they both provide very good career opportunities.

With both of those degree options, there's a broad scope to find various jobs. There's a lot of flexibility to move around in the industry depending on your speciality or even if you want to explore, you can move around and develop your skills in a variety of areas. The jobs within these fields range from Advertising account executive, Copywriter, Graphic designer, UX/UI designer, Web designer, Junior Designer, Digital Designer, Marketing Executive,Social Media Officer, and PR manager - these are just a few to name.

I would suggest looking at job board sites in the UK within the creative/media industry if you want to better understand what you can do in these roles and what's available at the moment.

2 good places to have a look:
CreativeLivesInProgress.com
Majorplayers.co.uk

Does the University of Leeds list some of the career options or graduate jobs on the course page?
Original post by Ramna.8
Hey, Thankyou so much for taking out time. I believe too that business side would be quite competitive and not as such creative and it would eventually turn out to be generic but also can you please let me know the career opportunities as I am looking forward to them more after my degree completion?

Regards

Quick Reply

Latest