The Student Room Group

is sociology, media, and film studies a good a level combo?

i love all these subjects but i'm worried they'll be considered 'soft' by employers/unis, my careers advisor also advised i switch out film for english lat/ling as i want to go into advertising/marketing when i leave college.
Original post by millyroses
i love all these subjects but i'm worried they'll be considered 'soft' by employers/unis, my careers advisor also advised i switch out film for english lat/ling as i want to go into advertising/marketing when i leave college.

I presume you intend to do a marketing degree.

As far as I know the unis that offer marketing degrees tend not to be too fussed about the subjects. It's usually the top end unis that tend to be fussy about whether the subjects are academic and difficult or not

Having said that, I don't quite understand the need to go to uni to get into marketing or advertising - you generally don't need specific qualifications. Those that do help tend to be professional qualifications e.g. CIM (which I am a fan of because it's internationally recognised by the marketing industry), IDM, DIM.

If you want a second opinion on specific degree courses, then we will need to know the specific degrees that you want to do.

Quick Reply

Latest