The Student Room Group

I Really Regret my degree choice which was BA Film Production

I regret doing a BA Film Production Degree as I feel like I can not get anywhere in life with that degree. I would like to work in the advertising/Marketing field but can not see how companies would hire me because the degree in not related and is in Film Production. I don't know what to do.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jay1997c
I regret doing a BA Film Production Degree as I feel like I can not get anywhere in life with that degree. I would like to work in the advertising/Marketing field but can not see how companies would hire me because the degree in not related and is in Film Production. I don't know what to do.

Was the plan to aim for a career in film production when you chose your degree, and you've just changed your mind?

Or did you take a film production degree hoping that it might lead to a career in advertising / marketing?
Sounds like you are feeling really flat about things - sorry to hear that. How recently did you graduate? Did you go into the Film Production degree with the intention of focussing on film production only? Or did you always want to do advertising or marketing? Just trying to get a feel for why you're feeling so flat about things atm :-)
Many jobs simply ask for a 2.1 in any degree. Have u graduated?
I've been offered positions in advertising and marketing with a film degree. Show how the skills you have are transferable.
Reply 5
Original post by Dnsnnssn
Many jobs simply ask for a 2.1 in any degree. Have u graduated?

I have nearly finished i am aiming for a 2:1
Reply 6
Original post by Growwest
Sounds like you are feeling really flat about things - sorry to hear that. How recently did you graduate? Did you go into the Film Production degree with the intention of focussing on film production only? Or did you always want to do advertising or marketing? Just trying to get a feel for why you're feeling so flat about things atm :-)

I went into the course as i was thinking about having a job in Video Editing but always had Advertising/marketing in the back of my mind.

That's great aim for that 2.1, and I'm sure u will be able to get interviews for many marketing roles. You just have to explain how your skills are transferable.

Then you've every reason to be positive - because as 1582 says - what matters to employers is that you can show what you learned and what you achieved... but just as important is that you can show your skills are highly transferable and that you're also keen to learn new skills and to develop with them as an organisation. It's all about creativity and adaptability at the end of the day.
Original post by Growwest
Then you've every reason to be positive - because as 1582 says - what matters to employers is that you can show what you learned and what you achieved... but just as important is that you can show your skills are highly transferable and that you're also keen to learn new skills and to develop with them as an organisation. It's all about creativity and adaptability at the end of the day.

No, the key things that you need to show is that you are actively creating content i.e. short films, write a blog, and just stand out by what you have achieved during your course, and that you managed to get relevant internships in the industry. Afterall you are about to enter what is a very competitive market. Do you have a portfolio of the films, etc that you have created? If looking at advertising then look at some of the short courses offered by Watford college (its renowned in advertising). When you apply / pitch yourself to a company create a short innovative video as part of your application - after all advertising is storytelling in approx 30 seconds.

I am in exactly the same position as you.

I have also nearly finished a Film Production degree intending to have a career in film however I haven't enjoyed it. I am also predicted a 2:1. I suggest you apply for anything and everything that is related to your desired career of advertising. As many others have said no one really cares about your degree subject, providing you have a 2:1, and even if you don't get a 2:1 it isn't the end of the world by any means.

I have (hopefully) secured a place on a grad scheme this year, with a Film Production degree (not advertising or marketing related though) so it is possible to have a career outside of film with a Film Production degree. You can always do a masters in advertising if you would find it helpful.
I went into the course as i was thinking about having a job in Video Editing but always had Advertising/marketing in the back of my mind.

Did the same thing, minus the advertising/marketing part.
Reply 11
Original post by Thisismyunitsr

I have also nearly finished a Film Production degree intending to have a career in film however I haven't enjoyed it. I am also predicted a 2:1. I suggest you apply for anything and everything that is related to your desired career of advertising. As many others have said no one really cares about your degree subject, providing you have a 2:1, and even if you don't get a 2:1 it isn't the end of the world by any means.

I have (hopefully) secured a place on a grad scheme this year, with a Film Production degree (not advertising or marketing related though) so it is possible to have a career outside of film with a Film Production degree. You can always do a masters in advertising if you would find it helpful.

I'm glad I've found someone who is in the same position as me. What is your desired career if you don't mind me asking? Also, I am thinking about doing a MA in Media or Advertising.
I'm glad I've found someone who is in the same position as me. What is your desired career if you don't mind me asking? Also, I am thinking about doing a MA in Media or Advertising.

I don't really have a desired career anymore. I honestly want to do anything that could lead to a 9-5 job as opposed to freelancing like regular film job.
Can't you go into short film advertising or video adverts or adverts for movies?

Can I ask where you studied please and why you haven't enjoyed it? All the best and take care!
Original post by Lojordan
Can I ask where you studied please and why you haven't enjoyed it? All the best and take care!

Arts University Bournemouth. Honestly the course was incredibly badly organised and mismanaged, there's more reasons but this is the primary one.
Arts University Bournemouth. Honestly the course was incredibly badly organised and mismanaged, there's more reasons but this is the primary one.

Thank you for replying. I hope you are ok and everything worked out. My 17 yr old son wants to go to the Uk from Australia to study film production but I don’t think there are any jobs…. It must be stressful but just take it each day and try to enjoy it. You are learning and growing and will have a degree at the end! That is amazing! All the best!
Original post by Lojordan
Thank you for replying. I hope you are ok and everything worked out. My 17 yr old son wants to go to the Uk from Australia to study film production but I don’t think there are any jobs…. It must be stressful but just take it each day and try to enjoy it. You are learning and growing and will have a degree at the end! That is amazing! All the best!

Please tell him not to go. Please. It will be the worst decision of his life. I have graduated (last July) and since then I have been unemployed and each and every day is hell. Going to university (especially for a Film Production degree) is a waste of time. There are no jobs for people with degrees and this is especially true for people will Film Production degrees.
There are no jobs for people with degrees...

:confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending