The Student Room Group

What to subjects to choose?

Helloo, It's about choosing subjects again. Well my dream job is actually broadcasting on the TV (pursuing media jobs). I'm deciding between media studies and psychology because I've heard that media studies is a soft subjects and psychology is a better a level. However media studies are more related to the jobs that i wanted. Can you give me some opinions on what to choose?
Original post by Buna1611
Helloo, It's about choosing subjects again. Well my dream job is actually broadcasting on the TV (pursuing media jobs). I'm deciding between media studies and psychology because I've heard that media studies is a soft subjects and psychology is a better a level. However media studies are more related to the jobs that i wanted. Can you give me some opinions on what to choose?

I think you should just choose what you think you’d enjoy the most and be best at, because that’s more likely to get the best grade
Reply 2
Original post by Teribblestudent
I think you should just choose what you think you’d enjoy the most and be best at, because that’s more likely to get the best grade

thx for the advice, but I've never taken those subjects before. So can you give me some point of view on which subjects to choose.

Hey @Buna1611 :smile:

As you mentioned, media studies is more directly related to the broadcasting and media industry, so it could provide you with a solid foundation in understanding things like media production, journalism, communication etc. If your goal is to pursue a career in broadcasting on TV, media studies can offer specific knowledge and skills that are directly applicable to the field. Psychology on the other hand can provide you with valuable transferable skills - it involves studying things like human behaviour, cognition, mental processes, enhancing your understanding of people and their motivations which can be useful when working in the media on audience analysis, market research, advertising, creating content etc.

Consider your passion for both subjects, your academic strengths, that way when it comes to studying you'll be more motivated to study something if you enjoy it!

The decision is yours to make though, so just have a think about career goals, personal interests, what excites and motivates you, what skills you want to develop, opportunities for growth. If you can, speak to career advisors at your college and they can help you with your decision :smile:

Good luck!

Becky
thx for the advice, but I've never taken those subjects before. So can you give me some point of view on which subjects to choose.

Pick subjects you think you’d enjoy.

Firstly, find out which exam board(s) your colleges/sixth forms are with. Next, look up their A level course(s) for whichever subject it is and have a look for the specification(s) to see what material is covered.

If the material in the specification doesn’t appeal, don’t take said subject.
(edited 10 months ago)
What did you end up choosing?
Reply 6
I somehow ended up chosing a different path with math fur math econ and chem

Original post by muffinscanfly
What did you end up choosing?

Quick Reply

Latest